Private Residence Interior

I'll take it! Where do I sign?
Lovely images.

Thanks guys!

Again if anyone wants to suggest what I can do to make them better please say, I appreciate it.

Cheers

I think the compositions are good, but you need to keep an eye on the verticals and the distortion, particularly when you get close to things like the door in 5.

I would have traded some overexposure of the view for a general brightening of each image.

Nice place. Some nice shots too. Particularly like the hall one.

First rule of interiors (i do this full time job) is to make sure the camera is level both vertically and horizontally. Get yourself a hot shoe spirit level next time. Its almost impossible without some sort of guide.

Saying that you can get away without being perfectly level all the time as your hall shot demonstrates.

I agree you could have exposed a little longer without clipping the outdoor greenery too much. Next step is using flash (off camera - bounced off walls and ceilings).

I think the compositions are good, but you need to keep an eye on the verticals and the distortion, particularly when you get close to things like the door in 5.

I would have traded some overexposure of the view for a general brightening of each image.

Thank you! I agree about some verticals, it is difficult to get them all right, I guess I could correct them better in PS.

By overexposure do you mean particularly at the windows? Eg creating a bright, light airy and fresh looking space?

The kitchen was very difficult to do, as it's so dark, but pointing at the window the camera exposes for that and thinks its really light. Still I think I got it ok-ish! :)

Last edited:
Nice place. Some nice shots too. Particularly like the hall one.

First rule of interiors (i do this full time job) is to make sure the camera is level both vertically and horizontally. Get yourself a hot shoe spirit level next time. Its almost impossible without some sort of guide.

Saying that you can get away without being perfectly level all the time as your hall shot demonstrates.

I agree you could have exposed a little longer without clipping the outdoor greenery too much. Next step is using flash (off camera - bounced off walls and ceilings).

Thanks I appreciate your comments! I'd like to do this full time but for now it is one a month and this was my second full home I've ever done.

So you would prefer the windows blown out a little more? Is this a more sought after look or can it just be opinion wither more or less greenery is preferred?

I would LOVE to do some flash work, but again my casH flow is limited ( getting married next year ) I think that would have helped, especially in the kitchen being so dark, allowing a flash to fire behind the cabinets would definitely have been an advantage!

You have to make sure the camera is perfectly level both side to side and front to back or your verticals will be off, the wider the lens the more pronounced the effect. It's beter to try and get it right in camera because its generally quicker in the long run and produces a sharper result. Although even if you get the verticals right you will normally have to correct the distortion in PS.

Your camera will automatically try and make sure the highlights are retained, and in a typical interior will underexpose to retain window detail. Generally you will need to over expose the scene by around 1.5 stops to get decent interior exposure while pointing towards a window.

I'd say the windows in the bathroom are perfect exposure wise. The kitchen ones could do with being a little brighter i think. It is down to personal taste and also largely what is outside the windows.

Thanks Andrew - I will certainly try your advice and many thanks for helping. Just had a look on your website, fantastic images there - excellent verticals! ;)

Ps - stupid question maybe but do you always use TS / swear by it? I can't justify it right now but it may be on cards in the future.

Thanks ally! I think I wanted the exterior to be honest to people looking at the photos and portray exactly what is there, I do like some images with more blown out windows though, but yeah it might be down to taste and what the images are for eh?

I have the Nikon 24mm PC-E which is a TS lens but I only really use it for exterior work. The exception being when you want a very wide interior shot without all the distortion in the corners that you get from a very wide lens.

This shot is a left shift and a right shift stitched together. Similar field of view to a 14mm lens but much less distortion in the corners. Your 14mm should be fine for most interior jobs.

p473870729-4.jpg

Nice shot - interesting interior!!! do you find just trying to get the converging lines as less noticeable as possible through the cam on a wide lens is much faster to use than setting up a TS or PC lens?

Agree on both points made. The first two photos look very dark to me and may benefit from brightening, but its hard to tell unless done lol.

A shift lens in its self does not correct verticals. Verticals are kept vertical in the image by making sure the camera back is vertical and level. The shift lens just allows you to change the viewing angle while keeping the camera back vertical.

Using a shift lens is always slower because metering and focus are all manual.

with regard to brightening up the room and therefore blowing out the windows.. one thing i've done in the past is to select the window in photoshop then select inverse and then have a mess with the levels / shadows etc.. to lift the light in the room but leave the window as is.

i'm not sure on your PS skills, but it is a pretty straight forward job (y)

this reminded me of a thread for home interiors some months back... i'll have a search

New to photography and the main reason is to photograph interiors, these shots look pretty spot on to me, very good!

Leftcurl - thanks for the tips. I'm pretty good at PS as its a tol I've use since school, through uni and now in work and home, I use lightroom for the most part now.

Blank_canvas & melhick - thank you very much, glad you like them :D

Hi A,

as said I'm pretty new to DLSR's so really looking for a few tips, certainly have got the theory of verticals and horizontals, its the lighting that slightly baffles me. As a rough giude and if possible, what lens and settings did you use on the shoot?

Hi Mel,

I'm certainly no expert but all I can say is you need a really good tripod. I have a Manfrotto 055 Pro B and either a wide angle lens or tilt shift lens (i only have a wide angle).

For my photos I generally move about the space first, looking for a descent shot. Then I take the camera while on the tripod and look through the viewfinder again to further agree what view is best, then I'll adjest the legs and try and get it looking how I want.

For the images you see I set the mirror on my camera to lock up in the advanced menu, this means that when I press the button to take the photo the mirror is already locked up and less chance of any vibration. This helps if you dont have a remote, or even with a remote will help reduce any camera shake. (im not sure what camera's this is available on, but I dont see it on my old 350D and 30D.)

I set the camera mostly to aperture mode and stop down to F6.7 - F8.0 usually. This allows me to create an image thats sharper across the board, unless of course you want some things out of focus then stop back up to f2.8 (if you lens is an f2.8). With this setting your camera will adjust for a longer shutter speed, probably around half a second or so allowing enough light to enter the camera. You could of course use the camera manually and control both the time the shutter is open for as well as the f-stop value.

Currently I only work with available light but I do see and know the advantages of having say, a remote off camera flash that fires at a low power to help light an area up. This would have been great for me in the first two image of the kitchen in this house.

My setup is my Canon 5DMk2 with 14mm F2.8L lens while I do actually take my 24 - 70f2.8L and 70 - 200f2.8L too as I can usually find a use for them somewhere, but for the most the 14mm is used as it gets 99% of things in nicely.

Cheers A, hopefully I can put that advice to good use. I have struggled to get my pictures bright enough, had thought about a stand alone flash but obviously would like to cover all bases as it were.

My kit is pretty basic as far as DSLR set-ups go, Nikon 5100, Tokina 11-16mm lens, Manfrotto tripod. Images have been good on auto, albeit slightly dark. So I'm taking it one step at a time, trying to brighten them first before moving on to the next step. Pretty steep learning curve at first, hopefully though everything will fall into place with a little work.

No probs Mel - why don't you post up some images of what you have done so far, and tell everyone your settings. That might be the best way to get help? :)

Will do m8, only had the camera for a couple of days, so as soon as I've got anything worthy of posting I'll put a thread together.

Used a point and shoot up to now, wow that was so easy!

Back