'Pro' Equipment

To me it equates to someone generating a picture on 3D Studio max, printing it out and calling that art. Virtually no skills needed.

Do you have any idea of the skill it takes to use those sorts of packages? You can give someone a high-end DSLR, stick it on auto and they will be able to snap away taking potentially great shots straight away.

Put someone in front of Maya/3DS Max and tell them to make a nice digital image and it'll be a few months of training manuals and tutorials before they can produce anything worthwhile, even provided (exactly the same as with photography), they have some kind of artistic talent. There is no 'auto' mode.

Really, really bad example.

Bookmark this comment for May 2015.... What cameras do you think you'll be using then?

Unless you were a Canon 'pro' back in the 80's and had a bagful of FD lenses that didn't work with the new EOS bodies.

Of course the manufactures won't do that again... will they?

Hopefully the two D3's and the D3x that I have in the bag now, but you never know...lol

As to lenses...well mine are a mix of AI-S, AF-D and AF-G Nikkors, all of which still work with all my cameras, digital and film (though some with reduced connectivity - new to old, old to new etc).

Hopefully the two D3's and the D3x that I have in the bag now, but you never know...lol
I expect you'll be using D4's and be looking forward to the new D5. :D

(Here's one for the obsessives - you can get a second-hand D3 for a bit under £2000 today. What are they selling for at the end of May 2015?)

You can get a new (returns) D3 for under £2k...which is why I bought those instead of the D3s...lol

TBH...unless there's something totally revolutionary and unforseen about the new kit, I think that for the first time since 2001, we actually have DSLR-equipment available to us now that you won't need to upgrade every 18 months to stay ahead of the game...

we actually have DSLR-equipment available to us now that you won't need to upgrade every 18 months to stay ahead of the game...

I think you're right . . . I hope you're right!

hmmm I may start looking at getting some secondhand stuff when my finances are better off. Now the question is Nikon or Canon!!

At the top of their ranges there's virtually no distinction between the two marques - it comes down to personal preference over functions and ergonomics...

Handle the kit before you buy if at all possible...borrow a mate's etc...just get your hands on the kit beforehand - it's a lot to lay out if you then discover you can't get on with the camera's controls...

Having played with the consumer end of the Canon vs Nikon range I prefer the feel of Nikon in my hand. I may just have big hands but the Canon entry level it just felt a bit like something out of a cracker. I'm not saying it didn't perform well it just felt lost in my hand. However I know 1 person with Nikon and a few with Canon so lens borrowing and trying would be easier with the Canon.

Boyfalldown - I didn't intend starting any arguments in the first place, I'm a pacifist really!! honest..

You can get a new (returns) D3 for under £2k...
The Techferb ones currently on eBay?

They are not 'new' as they themselves describe them as used and are therefore 'second hand' (even if only slightly!)

(For the future history buffs you can buy a brand new D3 currently for a touch under £3000)

Just a reminder to all to keep tempers and ego in check please guys, remember, if you can't express your opinion politely, then step away from the keyboard ;)

You're right, my apologies Yv.

My first response was said in a completely calm manner, and was not a "swipe". It wasn't until he started twisting things around that I'd posted, put words into my mouth, started being derogatory and tried to question my professional ethics that I got a little too defensive. Although, given that he spends his time chasing electric meter cheats for a living, I can understand why he thinks the whole world is dishonest except him - and he calls me self important?

Personally, I don't think suggesting that a professional should know what they're doing (regardless of what that profession is) is too radical or controversial a concept. :)

The Techferb ones currently on eBay?

They are not 'new' as they themselves describe them as used and are therefore 'second hand' (even if only slightly!)

(For the future history buffs you can buy a brand new D3 currently for a touch under £3000)

Yup...I PM'd them and they're ex-shop stock - some are just bashed-up boxes and the others are ex-display models...no way of telling which you'd get, so fingers crossed...lol

TBH even a display model would be fine - even if it'd had 50 or so grubby sets of mitts on it, it'll still clean up nicely and probably have less than 1,000 actuations on the clock...

Back