Pro lab vs Boots developing

Edit My Images
Yes
The last film I had developed was done by a pro lab in London. It cost £ 30 for dev print and scan results were as follows

_34_0226 by biotecbob, on Flickr

_16_0209 by biotecbob, on Flickr

__3_0196 by biotecbob, on Flickr

Before That I had a couple of films done at Boots the high street chemist it cost £10 for the 1hr service dev print and scan. Results

CNV00008.jpg by biotecbob, on Flickr

CNV00017.jpg by biotecbob, on Flickr

CNV00029.jpg by biotecbob, on Flickr

I am inclined to use Boots rather than the pro lab as the results are almost as good. What do you think?

As far as I can tell on my monitor they look very good,I'd be happy with the Boot's quality.

I certainly can't see a threefold improvement on the Pro Lab scans.

They probably use the same machine to dev, and it's likely the only difference is in the scanning. I'd personally do all my own scanning anyway.

£30 to dev a roll sounds really expensive tho.

Thirty quid?!

Considering a used V500 goes for £80-90, prints can be done individually (I don't know about you, but I don't get 36 keepers from a roll of 36 exposure film) - so less wastage - and dev only works out significantly cheaper.

Let's say dev only costs £3, and a scanner costs £90. You could recover the cost within a few rolls of film, and the scanner still retains its second hand value so you could flog it with only little depreciation.

Also, the biggest difference that I often find between pro labs and consumer places - the scans are not entirely indicative of their developing. If you look at the negatives, poor handling would've caused scratches, all of which would've been edited out by the scanning software. If you wanted to scan them in again, you may find your negatives are not in the condition you'd think they were based on the scans. Scratched negatives are not exclusive to consumer labs, but a good pro lab developing should yield clean negatives.

Thats the biggest problem I have with (my local) Asda, the negs are invariably scratched and a little dusty. But you get what you pay for.

And your boots results were what?

I haven't used Boots for about 5 years, too pricey for quick 1hr job when the likes of Asda, Tesco etc were fine for test films.

Last edited:
Very good results Rob, but as mentioned you only need prints of keepers, so get the film dev and scanned to CD, then select your prints. Getting a home scanner from £10 s/h to £150 new is a good investment if you are happy using film, once you have this you can send your selected JPGs on line to places that will post prints.
I once couldn't resist an offer of 100 free prints after your second order, and got 200 6X4" prints for £5.

I put all my 35mm through snappy snaps in either Woolwich or Staines. Both are run by knowledgable gents who are happy to talk film and take pride in their output. I have never yet been disappointed.

I should add that I once tried snappy snaps in chiswick and the negs comeback dusty, scratched and the scans looked as if they had been done on a 2mp maplins CMOS thing.

The bloke in Staines can process 120 as well, if he could only scan 120 I would be happy as larry.

Last edited:
I put all my 35mm through snappy snaps in either Woolwich or Staines. Both are run by knowledgable gents who are happy to talk film and take pride in their output. I have never yet been disappointed.

How much does Snappy Snaps charge for 35mm dev? Can't seem to find an accurate indicator on the web.

Bayeaux prices :eek:

35mm Colour Neg Film Process, Print & scan

--------------------------------------- 24 exposure 36 exposure

6x4 + write to CD -------------------£19.00----------£24.00
7x5 + write to CD--------------------£27.00----------£32.00
8x6 +write to CD---------------------£33.00----------£38.00
Process only and write to CD--------£14.00----------£16.00
Image files on CD are approx 16Mb

These prices are all excluding VAT

Last edited:
Which branch was this? I've found varying prices with them in London at the two I've used.

Woolwich, (which is technically still London), the one in Staines by my office is the same.

However I remember being shocked at the chiswick prices, especially as there is a pretty decent "real" camera shop, selling high end second hand film kit just ten minutes down the road from them. Maybe the stores get to set pricing independently?

Woolwich, (which is technically still London), the one in Staines by my office is the same.

However I remember being shocked at the chiswick prices, especially as there is a pretty decent "real" camera shop, selling high end second hand film kit just ten minutes down the road from them. Maybe the stores get to set pricing independently?

I think some of them are franchises and do vary the prices and other bits and bobs. I think the one I used yesterday was in an area that they can get away with those prices too so that probably explains it.

I can't complain at the quality though, they are usually pretty good.

The Boots ones look fine. For colour neg I only use Boots or Max Whatshisface! Never been dismayed by the results from dev only and home scanning.

A painful price here in London.

£8.50 to CD, think it's £5 for just the dev.

3.99 for dev only, hour or so turnaround. So perfect for a pint and a read of the newspaper.

Thanks. Branch variation really doesn't help! Genie Imaging still works out cheaper, especially since their 120 C-41/E6 dev is pretty fast. Good to know there are options though!

Ive just sent a test roll through to Boots and wasn't expecting much but after seeing your prints i'm a bit more positive now!. (y) :)

Lets not start that argument, you know how it ends up in the rest of the forum...:)

I should also add that these are cracking results Rob. You have captured that early toddler wobbly stage brilliantly.

Also as a royal borough resident I would like to compliment you on your choice of location.

I should also add that these are cracking results Rob. You have captured that early toddler wobbly stage brilliantly.

Also as a royal borough resident I would like to compliment you on your choice of location.

Thanks. Yes I live not far away from Greenwich, I have found the park and the National Maritime museum to be good locations.

That could just as easily be the film or the scanner settings. Its why, I think, most people end up buying their own scanner you can make your own decisions as to how the file looks.

Its why, I think, most people end up buying their own scanner you can make your own decisions as to how the file looks.

...but you can do that with an Asda scan in Photoshop (or similar) although it's at low resolution ;)

I'm moving to scanning BW film, and maybe E6, but I've had such variable results with C41 because of the film base colour casts that I'll probably continue to get that done commercially at Photo Express, fast, cheap and so far good quality.

I'm moving to scanning BW film, and maybe E6, but I've had such variable results with C41 because of the film base colour casts that I'll probably continue to get that done commercially at Photo Express, fast, cheap and so far good quality.

I get amazing result with my scanner, I was very close to give up on film.C41 scanned very well and I have no problem with B&W.
Scanner used is Minolta 5400

Very good results Rob, but as mentioned you only need prints of keepers, so get the film dev and scanned to CD, then select your prints. Getting a home scanner from £10 s/h to £150 new is a good investment if you are happy using film, once you have this you can send your selected JPGs on line to places that will post prints.
I once couldn't resist an offer of 100 free prints after your second order, and got 200 6X4" prints for £5.

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/chakrata/media/smaller pixels for forums/photos.jpg.html

Isn't it better to get a print from the negative rather than a print from a scan of the negative?

Isn't it better to get a print from the negative rather than a print from a scan of the negative?

Indeed in theory, but few lab do it now and of course would charge more.....either way whether you get expensive drum scanning or use the old fashioned way of the darkroom, you still have the limitations of colour printing paper OR digital printing, and even seeing the image on a computer screen.
If you want to show the best in film it would be a slide, using a very good projector onto a very good large screen.

Last edited:
Why oh why are you guys not using Photo express in Hull for your Dev and scan, we TP members get a discount after the first two rolls of .50p per roll and the results have never been in question.
Unfortunately they only do C41 B&W, but have a look and the turn around time is as little as 24 Hours, 36 at the most.

http://www.photo-express.co.uk/

Ive just sent a test roll through to Boots and wasn't expecting much but after seeing your prints i'm a bit more positive now!. (y) :)

Yes I have been pleased with them but it probably depends on the branch

Back