Pro tog stories

Cant think of many funny stories from polo other than taking a picture of the Queen driving herself without her seatbelt on at Guards polo club which netted be a grand from various publications around the world, and probably lost me any chance of a knighthood.

haa yes i remember that one :)

city of manchester stadium many yrs ago had a full england A game.. behind the goals each seat had a red or white card attached to it so when the teams come out fans could hold the cards up to make a st george... so litrally thousands of potential folded aeroplanes.
I also encountered a mass paper plane attack whilst doing the Tyne-Wear derby the other week, none came near me though, but a few fellow togs further along weren't so lucky!
Yep had that too at a Middlesbrough home game but their fans are closer to you.
They certainly are, particularly the away fans, on the rare instances there's enough of them to pack out the stand anyway. The Leeds fans managed it, nearly got crushed by a load of barrier jumpers when Becchio scored their winner!

Crystal Palace at the end of last season - a relegation game v West Brom I think. The head of police came up and briefed us togs, saying that if Palace won, their supporters were coming over the barriers, and that if they lost they were coming over the barriers, so to get ready to get out of the way pronto.

I was all packed up with 5 mins to go, just one body and a 70-200 left out when it all kicked off. A few in the crowd were ringleaders. One lit a flare, let it burn then chucked it into the crowd where it set light to someones head and landed in someones hoodie. I took pics of it all, game some to the stewards who gave some to the police, who prosecuted the guy and got him a pretty decent sentence too. ****.

Another tog took some pics of one of the stewards who was injured by something chucked by the crowd. The other stewards rounded on the poor guy and he was thrown out. A few mins later the top cop asked if anyone had any pics for evidence of that attack. We said yes indeed - it was the guy they just threw out. LOL!

At Scunny v Cardiff on Saturday a few Scunny fans were having a go at Craig Bellamy. He was smiling and making light of it until one fan jumped on the pitch to have ago. Bellamy raised his fist but by the time I got my camera on him he'd dropped the fist but was giving the fan some vebals with venim. I handed a couple of pics to the stewards after the game to make sure they had the right guy.

A few seasons ago I made £18.50 at a Swansea v Cardiff game from all the coins that were thrown between the sets of fans. Clearly throwing isn't a strong point in Wales as rather than hitting each other most of the coins ended up coming near the photographers.

Made more out of that game in change than I did from the photos. :D

This is a picture of the Caucasus (Multi Disabled Football) team from Russia.. It was taken at Northampton town FC by little ol me! in 2004 as they where visitng playing England.. Its a genuine pic taken on the day ..

russia.jpg

A mascot football match was on first to entertain the crowd.. you know the proper footy furry mascots..

Its nearing KO time and only half the russian team turned up.. other half was stuck on m25 and you have peeps waiting for game to start.. a lot disabled themselves..

So the organisors asked the blokes who played in the warm up footy mascots game to step in...

The giant on the front row is the telford mascot and next to end front row is billy brewer from burton albion. Accrington Mascot top left... So a russion team pic with english footy mascots..

But the funniest part was when they got on the pitch...shouting "pass boris" and "on me head vlad" and generally taking the P :)

A few seasons ago I made £18.50 at a Swansea v Cardiff game from all the coins that were thrown between the sets of fans. Clearly throwing isn't a strong point in Wales as rather than hitting each other most of the coins ended up coming near the photographers.

James James James - you have it all wrong son.

Can't you remember that day you were wearing your finest sheep skin coat.

They were actually trying to "pull" you ;)

But the funniest part was when they got on the pitch...shouting "pass boris" and "on me head vlad" and generally taking the P :)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Cant think of many funny stories from polo other than taking a picture of the Queen driving herself without her seatbelt on at Guards polo club which netted be a grand from various publications around the world, and probably lost me any chance of a knighthood.

You wont be doing the Royal Wedding next year then? :LOL:

He would need a bloody long lens to get pictures from The Tower...:LOL:

ha ha

Are seatbelts compulsory in horse-drawn carriages these days? Must check :D.

Nope tough luck! :D

In full spotter mode in comes under the The Motor Vehicles (Wearing of Seat Belts) Regulations 1993 an ammendement to the RTA 1988:

Requirement for adults to wear adult belts

5.—(1) Subject to the following provisions of these Regulations, every person—

(a)driving a motor vehicle (other than a two-wheeled motor cycle with or without a sidecar);

(b)riding in a front seat of a motor vehicle (other than a two-wheeled motor cycle with or without a sidecar); or

(c)riding in a rear seat of a motor car or a passenger car which is not a motor car;

shall wear an adult belt.

:p

Prince Philip will be eyeing up the Bridesmaids I bet...

Hmmmm ok then :)

Back in July 2008 i went to a local non league teams pre season friendly with a mate who works in the Media Department for my local Championship side, during the game i mentioned how i would like to try shooting football. He arranged for me to shoot a few youth team games then during the 08/09 season i started to cover 1st team and Reserve team games. I started off with a 400D and 70-200 borrowing a 1DSMKIII and a 24-70.

Very slowly started to improve with much headbanging, a few months in when i was struggling i joined another forum where i bumped into Jamesb84, Kipax and another photographer who helped me out plenty with grasping the basics and general advice.........

Fast forward to a few months into the 09/10 season and i bumped into a Photographer from one of the "Big 5" who i had talked to at a few 1st team games and he put me in touch with one of his mates who runs an agency, eventually started shooting for him December 09 and had a baptism of fire, a nice commission as my first ever photography job :eek: had thick fog across the pitch, freezing cold and having never wired live or even after a game twas tricky.....Then in January 10 i met a photographer at a 1st team game who runs his own agency and started shooting Championship football for him, got lucky after my first game and had a glut of usage :D then a few more spread over the rest of the season.

Now to the 10/11 season and i'm shooting Premiership :)

Its very hard work and i don't think i could not have progressed without other financial income but by putting the effort in, showing an interest in learning the trade and gettting to know the pro's in your area then you stand a good chance of getting your first lucky break. Of course you need to invest in the right kit too. Getting someone to give you a chance is the hardest part after that its sink or swim.

Makes it sound easy..
We all know how hard you have worked to get there..
:)

Last game of the season for north end, there was a pitch invasion and one of the fans got his foot stuck on my bag when jumping over the barrier and carried on running dragging it with him...NOT impressed :LOL:

Also at one of the away youth games for PNE I covered the local shop was a shed selling fried carrot sticks. That's the nearest thing there was to "civilisation" for a few million miles :LOL:

Back