Probably been asked a thousand times

The main reason for "trackside" access is the same reason as you put press photographers in the pit for a concert - to enable them to have the best possible chance of access to get an unobstructed view of the proceedings. Their job is to effeciently get the image which will publicise the event.

Its all about efficiency, from having a clear clean view to the publication having reliable people who will deliver the editorial requirements.

I agree with this, I guess I just get annoyed by press photographers who seem to think their official status gives them importance over paying fans and are happy to wander idly in front of crowd lines, not concerned if they get in any fan's photographs or video (the worst example being at last year's Croft Rallycross GP when a couple of photographers decided to stand right in front of crowd at the infield viewing area, comparing their shots of the day when there was racing still going on). Particularly annoying when many circuits have plenty of areas that official photographers can use that are away from crowd lines.

If its any consolation, I agree with you - I always try to keep out the way of everyone else behind the fence, being aware of their photography as much as mine... if I have to be in the way, i make sure I'm gone ASAP and certainly not standing in the way if I am not shooting!

I see it go on, it annoys me as much as you - its just rude!

Hahaha I love this topic because a few years ago I was asking the same thing (along with all the rest) and complaining, in the same sort of "I've got a camera and the fence is ruining it for me, it would be better to be the other side".

Now looking back I was both naive and arrogant to think I should be the other side. Here's what I have come to accept:

In fairness fence limitations are only a real issue at Silverstone, Rockingham and Donnington - of all the other circuits, Oulton is a doddle to the point you may as well be press, certainly close enough not to need to envy the guys actually working, Brands and Snetterton are similarly open.

Fences provide you with a challenge and an excuse ;) - if that excuse wasn't available to you i.e you were press - would your photos be that much better? or would you then move on to gear being the next step of excuse?

I've come to realize I actually like watching the racing with my friends, shooting what I want, when I want, drinking beer... without the fear of an editor or client busting my balls about shooting to spec. I like being able to experiment and mess about - judging by the number of 'bibs' I've watched relentlessly machine gun into a corner I'd rather step back and try somewhere else.

I found myself at Silverstone standing by the low fence at club for the Blancpain with 15/20 other speccy siders all doing the same machine gunning. I looked around and just thought 'we are all just getting the same shot' - what is the point, I'm sure the delusion that we could all do better if accredited to get to the other side, but it is a delusion...If you think a couple of feet will make much difference besides the increased risk to life, you, I and everyone else is mistaken.

If you take crap pictures behind the fence (not saying you do, I've not looked), being press will only mean you take crap photos the other side of the fence. Just look through these forums and see what people can produce from low-end gear and no access - If you can honestly say you can do just as well then the best of luck to you, I can't so I'm getting used to this fence work, no real right to be there :D

As previously mentioned there's also plenty of very average photographers in the pro ranks that in my opinion are taking spaces away from really talented folk stuck on the speccy side. You have to put the work in either way so no discredit to anyone i'm sure the majority haven't just blagged it. Granted there's quite a few PROs in here that should be filling the pages of Autosport because there's some really stunning work on show.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a go - Ive been taking photos at tracks for 6/7 years. I realize now that I just enjoy taking photos and that the limitations are just challenges for me to learn more skills and eventually to try and do something different from the guy next to me and the 100 other guys next him or her (I saw a really hot lady photographer working the WEC...tangent..). Spec side photographers seem to outnumber normal spectators at most of the events I've been to this year - so you wont be alone:help:.

On another point raised, Ive been surprised at just how many PROs do actually get out of your way, duck or wait for you to finish - especially given the fact that you are potentially encroaching on their business..Thats excellent to see:clap:. I am happy to move out from a spot to make way for a PRO for 1. unlike speccys they tend to move on very quickly rather than camp out at a spot (guilty as charged) 2. I realize they are working and I'm just on a Jolly on my day off :D

Yeah Jonathon hits that pretty well on the head.

I'll just stress one point he made though - there are MANY people on this forum who do not go trackside with some really great photography skills who produce stuff as good if not better than the bibbers. Its not right for me to name drop them, but they know who I mean I am sure. Several of them have talked with me about getting accreditation and not actually fancied the ball ache that comes with it.

Turning your hobby into a job can be corrosive, it take a special kind of masochist to keep it going week after week... maybe its a form of ADHD (y)

When I'm moving around the circuit trackside and I notice someone speccy-side with a camera pressed against their eye, I try to either duck down below their shot, or wait until a gap in the traffic, or they beckon me by, unless I'm in a really bad mood or in a tearing hurry - for which I apologise.

Also many trackside photographers are often more than happy to talk to spectators when they're not actively 'working' - ie during races they're not covering or between sessions - especially if its a reasonably sensible question - not just how do you get a media pass...

Have any of you guys applied for press accreditation at Goodwood?

Have any of you guys applied for press accreditation at Goodwood?

thats the only time i've ever been turned down.. (assuming you mean the hill climb). They told me no digital media at all, only printed. It was about 6 years ago though, so hopefully theyve discovered the internet by now.

thats the only time i've ever been turned down.. (assuming you mean the hill climb). They told me no digital media at all, only printed. It was about 6 years ago though, so hopefully theyve discovered the internet by now.

They came, they saw, they ran away screaming!!

https://ticketing.goodwood.com/press.html

In the Accreditation Request Form it asks
Publication Group
Publication Period
Interest Group
Contact Type

Iam new to this so don't quite understand it fully. Does it basically mean that I need to provide evidence that a magazine/blog etc want to hire me to take photos at a certain event and in turn I need to prove that to Goodwood?

Yes. Most circuits and events will need a signed letter on headed paper from the editor of the publication stating that you will be providing them with media from the event.

Some events like BSB, Le mans, DTM etc have limits on the number of media attending, and probably more hoops to jump through.

Yes. Most circuits and events will need a signed letter on headed paper from the editor of the publication stating that you will be providing them with media from the event.

Some events like BSB, Le mans, DTM etc have limits on the number of media attending, and probably more hoops to jump through.

Cheers John, thats made things clearer. I think the same applies to festivals too-which was another avenue I was interested in.

I agree with what some of the guys have said, I chased accreditation for ages, basically doing as the guys above have said.

Went to all the race series for the 750MC, started taking photos for a team, this didn't allow media access though as with the MSV tracks it wasnt publishing so to speak.

Things carried on and eventually the organisers of the BMW series and the AMG tv section got wind of my photos due to the drivers buying images off of myself rather than the "official" photographer so to speak.

This to a degree made me feel rather bad actually but then after a phone call and an email I was asked to take position as the series photographer.... and I can confirm the above.... it is FAR easier and less stressful to be on the outside of the fence.

When you are there for a job, you have to get the shots or people don't want the photos, I think I do more exercise and running 1 day a month than i do for the whole of the rest of it.

And as for trackdays, it mostly is who and not what you know.

I tried for our local trackday organisers ages ago as their photographer is to be honest.... average at best but hes well in there and makes on hell of a living out of it so good on him.

As above, if you really want it, keep at it and keep sending photos everywhere, alot of people forget that everyone has to start somewhere and everyone needs that break

I agree with what some of the guys have said, I chased accreditation for ages, basically doing as the guys above have said.

Went to all the race series for the 750MC, started taking photos for a team, this didn't allow media access though as with the MSV tracks it wasnt publishing so to speak.

Things carried on and eventually the organisers of the BMW series and the AMG tv section got wind of my photos due to the drivers buying images off of myself rather than the "official" photographer so to speak.

This to a degree made me feel rather bad actually but then after a phone call and an email I was asked to take position as the series photographer.... and I can confirm the above.... it is FAR easier and less stressful to be on the outside of the fence.

When you are there for a job, you have to get the shots or people don't want the photos, I think I do more exercise and running 1 day a month than i do for the whole of the rest of it.

And as for trackdays, it mostly is who and not what you know.

I tried for our local trackday organisers ages ago as their photographer is to be honest.... average at best but hes well in there and makes on hell of a living out of it so good on him.

As above, if you really want it, keep at it and keep sending photos everywhere, alot of people forget that everyone has to start somewhere and everyone needs that break

Cheers dalegt4, when you email photos. How do you normally email each time? Do you put a large watermark across the photos aswell?

It depends how much I wanted to get the picture to be noticed.

To be honest when I was trying to get the photos to be seen I didnt actually watermark any of the ones I sent off to be used other than a small marking in the corners to say it was taken by me.

I offered my services free of charge to the driver and team that I got in with in return for advertising on their car which worked well too and it has gone from there really.

Putting yourself out there is the first step, I got knocked back without people even looking at my photos for a while, you have to remember there are ALOT of people out there that won't give you the time of day because they just think that everyone that comes to them is some joe that thinks they can take photos.

It got frustrating but eventually you will get a break if you try long and hard enough.

It depends how much I wanted to get the picture to be noticed.

To be honest when I was trying to get the photos to be seen I didnt actually watermark any of the ones I sent off to be used other than a small marking in the corners to say it was taken by me.

I offered my services free of charge to the driver and team that I got in with in return for advertising on their car which worked well too and it has gone from there really.

Putting yourself out there is the first step, I got knocked back without people even looking at my photos for a while, you have to remember there are ALOT of people out there that won't give you the time of day because they just think that everyone that comes to them is some joe that thinks they can take photos.

It got frustrating but eventually you will get a break if you try long and hard enough.

Yup, just got to keep with it really like you said. What did the ad say on the car?

Ive had a little break, as Iam going to be shooting at Sliverstone in Aug for a BMW motorgroup. I shoot a local football team and the BMW car garage sponsor them, and they loved some Goodwood/Thirxton photos ive done.

Really looking forward to it, its a weekend event but I will only be able to shoot on the Sunday due to a wedding the day before. Iam hoping for the best (y)

I believe that this is still MSV's officially approach in not fully recognising digital media!

Back