Problem in CS3

Name
Des
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday i was working on my images when all of a sudded i lost the pure white in colour picker ? This also affected the background colour in my Camera Raw ( both come out a tanny brown colour), and even worse now affects all of my raw files. Can anyone tell me how to get the pure white back please?

Hit D on the keyboard to restore the default black / white foreground / background colours.

Hit X to swap them over

HTH :)

hmm I must be misunderstanding your question then, sorry.

To get pure white try typing 255 in the R, G, & B boxes in the colour pallet.

so you should have

R 255
G 255
B 255

Does that do the job?

This also affected the background colour in my Camera Raw ( both come out a tanny brown colour), and even worse now affects all of my raw files.

This bit is confusing me :thinking: I'm not sure how the colour picker can be affecting your raw files. You're not confusing the white balance picker in Camera Raw with the colour picker in Photoshop are you? They have the exact same icon but do very different things

As Chaz says above, a screen shot might help diagnose the problem :)

I know this sounds ridiculous to you both, but i've always used the "As shot" white balance in camera raw and then made final adjustments in CS3. I just cannot for the life of me get the background colour to go to pure white. Even the gradient tool shows a graduation from Brown to cream instead of Blk to White ????? I've never had this problem before.

What exactly are you referring to as "the background"?

That's what I thought you were getting at originally :thinking:

As I said earlier. If you hit D on your keyboard it restores the default colours - black foreground and white background :shrug:

Well it should :thinking:

If you purposely change the foreground & background colours to, say, blue and red, what happens when you hit D on the keyboard? Does it revert back to black and the cream colour or does nothing happen?

I've done this ( changed both background and foreground colours as suggested ) then pressed the D button, but i'm still getting the cream colour, very noticable in the gradient tool.
I sent a screen shot to Chaz photos by email and we discussed this problem at some length over the phone, i've still got the problem ! How do i attach a screen shot to here ?

Postie I'm really at a loss as to what's happening. It's most bizarre!

I'm hoping a screenshot will help me to understand what's going on with your CS3

These tutorials explain how to upload an image in this thread :)

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=24880

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=24811

Alternatively, you can email a screen shot to me: paul(at)talkphotography.co.uk

and I'll take a look. I can also upload it to this thread for continuity

Out of interest, if you open the colour picker for the foreground colour and input

R 255
G 255
B 255

Do you get white or this odd cream colour?

It doesn't matter what you see in there. They're only reference points for choosing specific colours. Rather like looking at different paint colour charts in B&Q :)

Hear is the screen shot of Des problem
3923920128_280c38f30b.jpg

large size

Untitled-2.jpg

Also, could you replicate these settings in your colour picker for me and send me a screen shot?

Picture%201.jpg

This is the screen shot Des emailed to me

Untitled-3.jpg

As you can see, the values are clearly 255, 255, 255 which represents pure white, yet the actual output is

R 255
G 252
B 207

Des, I've just had a thought. This HAS to be some sort of corruption in PS. In my experience, resetting the preferences can solve a lot of these type of issues.

Give this a go:

While launching Photoshop, Hold down Alt+Ctrl+shift. When asked to reset the preferences say YES.

Before you do this, save any actions, brushes etc that you have created because these will also be reset.

Let me know if this fixes it :)

Sorry guys, i'm afraid i lost patience on this one and ended up taking my computer in to my fav comp repair shop. He had to do a complete removal of PS and all components, then reinstall, it now seems to be working normal again (fingers crossed). Sincere thanks for all your help and advice. I've kept a copy of that last bit of advice Paul just in case......cheers!

Glad to hear you managed to get it sorted one way or another (y)

Glad you got it sorted. I wonder if it was a problem with the device cental settings. Now this is normally only available in CS3 via CS3 creative suite, The idea is to set all Adobe apps to the same settings, i.e colour space etc.

Now I have heard of it affecting CS3 Photoshop as a stand alone app. It sees that even though device central is not loaded Photoshop sometimes finds a setting for this and screws everything up.

I suppose the good news is that I have only heard of a couple of instances of this happening, so it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem.

Back