Problem Setting Up on Canon

Edit My Images
Yes
On the Canon 5D MK3 I set this up for my railway photos……….

Put it on TV

Set up the ISO

Set up the Exposure time

But I can’t change the F Number, why is that?

On the Canon 5D MK3 I set this up for my railway photos……….

Put it on TV

Set up the ISO

Set up the Exposure time

But I can’t change the F Number, why is that?

I think TV is shutter priority which I guess wont let you set the aperture as it wants to do it as you have already set the shutter and the ISO.

If you want to change the aperture try aperture priority or manual mode to be able to set just about everything.

Last edited:
Woof woof is bang on TV is shutter priority camera will set aperture to suit the shutter speed and ISO.
In AV you set the aperture and the camera setsthe shutter speed

Because you are in Tv mode which is shutter priority mode (Time Value). You set the shutter speed and ISO and the camera picks the Aperture.

If you want control over the Shutter speed and Aperture then you need to be in Full Manual mode (M)

Last edited:
If you want to select all 3 yourself then manual is the only way to go

Technically, you can change the aperture by setting the ISO and SS so that the camera must stop down to maintain the exposure.

Tv (shutter priority) always forces the aperture wide open unless the ISO is at minimum. For some that may not be a problem (action photographers with premium lenses), for others it probably is (landscape).

There's several ways to accomplish most anything, but in your case I would be in manual mode with auto ISO if the light/scene is likely to vary; or in manual mode with fixed ISO if things are relatively fixed.

Last edited:
Lots of people nowerdays wiht decent cameras decent iso capabilities go for auto iso and manual which puts you in a semi auto mode but you can control shutter and aperture

It would be a great idea to read the manual and a few photography 101 books
Typical, everyone else was offering great advice, and the problem was solved, in minutes
and then you come back with an unhelpful suggestion.

Typical, everyone else was offering great advice, and the problem was solved, in minutes
and then you come back with an unhelpful suggestion.
Actually this is the most helpful suggestion in the long run of them all, and besides, no point in repeating what has already been posted. I feel sorry if you can't see through this

Last edited:
Back