Problem with auto focus on Canon 350D

Name
Briony
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had my camera for a couple of years now, and at first the auto focus seemed to be fine. However, recently when I try to use auto focus on my camera it just focuses in and out but never on a sharp, clear image so it is never in focus. On the odd occasion it will work fine but most of the time I have this problem with it. When I switch to manual focus it is fine.
I googled this problem earlier and found that it might be to do with the AF points, and mine was on the right hand side so I have changed it back to the middle but the problem is still occuring!

Is there a solution to this or should I go to a camera shop and see if I can get it fixed?
Thanks!

The first thing you need to do is determine where the problem lies, the camera or the lens.

If you have another lens, see if that focuses fine.
If not, try removing the lens and wiping the electrical contacts between the lens and camera.

Could you upload an image showing the problem ?

I don't have another lens, so I tried wiping the electrical contacts between the lens and camera like you said, and it seems to have done the trick!
From my five minutes of testing it just now, the auto focus appears to be working fine on all the different settings. Hopefully it won't mess up again!

Thank you very much for your help :) that's saved me a lot of trouble.

Nice to see a problem solved by the forum :)

Back