Problem with firmware update on Nikon D810

davekiddle

Like to feel muppets
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently updated the firmware on my D810 to version 1.13 and now I'm having trouble with metering with an old Ai lens that I have. The non CPU lens data option is entered correctly (max aperture f4) but the camera thinks the maximum aperture is f22. Also when I change the shutter mode dial it alters the aperture reading on the camera LCD.

I don't have access to any other older manual lenses so can't check if it's the lens (although can't see how it can be as it's non CPU and worked fine before the update).

Anyone out there with v 1.13 can check if their camera is working as it should with a non CPU lens please?

Thanks in advance.

did you check to see if the firmware update was compatible with that lens or your computer
. I don't have an older lens to test with but did the version update some time ago, and just done the distortion update as well a few days ago with no problems

Last edited:
Computer wise it's OK, for the lens it shouldn't make any difference as its a non CPU lens so doesn't communicate electronically with the camera.

Everything else seems to be working as it should.

extract for a book by David Busch's
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2227165923...=9045117&device=c&campaignid=974199341&crdt=0

well worth getting far more comprehensive than the official Nikon manual

gpt7uuB.jpg

Reading the book in more detail it seems it depends on if your lens was built before or after 1977 when they did an upgrade to AI lenses.

9AcDxbs.jpg

Last edited:
The thing it it is not a Nikon lens and there may be the problem even though it is a Nikon fit. although they say it is compatible . If you can't get it to work even as a non CPU lens then i personally would not waste my time trying

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiron_Lenses
Looks a if it was made in the 1980's era by ex Nikon workers.. So it could be anything up to nearly 40 years old

Last edited:
It looks like an AI lens to me. With an AI lens there is a "step" in the outer part of the ring outside the lens mount which engages a sliding ring on the outside of the lens mount on the camera body. When the aperture is changed the sliding ring is moved telling the camera that the aperture has changed... is that all working correctly? It kind of sounds like the ring on the camera isn't moving.

Yes the ring is working fine, everything fits OK and the aperture tab ring on the camera is moving freely when the aperture ring is rotated on the camera.

As I say, this all used to work OK before the firmware update.

I just checked my Zeiss 85/1.4 ZF which is an AI type lens and it works fine with FW 1.13... SS dial changes SS and aperture only changes with the aperture ring.

I would try deleting the lens entry and then re-enter/select it anew.

Last edited:
I just checked my Zeiss 85/1.4 ZF which is an AI type lens and it works fine with FW 1.13... SS dial changes SS and aperture only changes with the aperture ring.

I would try deleting the lens entry and then re-enter/select it anew.
Tried all that, didn't make a difference.

I'm away on holiday at the moment and this lens is my light weight zoom option, that's why I'm a bit miffed it's not working correctly.

I think I'll reinstall the firmware when I get home, and also try the lens on my D300 to see if it works correctly on that body.

Back