Problem with Kodachrome and Nikon F90

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of things that I've got problems with and i'm hoping someone may be able to help or at least advise.

I recently bought an F90 off Andysnap and was running a roll of Kodachrome through it so i can get it sent off before Wayne's stop accepting the free developing envelopes later this year. I finished my first roll stuck it in the envelope paid my postage and thought all was good until tonight when I've gone to stick a new roll in my camera. When i went to stick a new roll in my camera wouldn't accept it and kept displaying an err message, after getting frustrated turning it on and off a few times and checking the batteries i still had no joy with putting my new roll of film in. I looked at the collection spool (if that's what it's called, the pit the the exposed film is wound on to inside the camera) and found that my original roll of film had torn off and was still there, hence the reason my new film wasn't being accepted. After i noticed this I've unwound the film in dark room and placed it in a black film canister, I appreciate there may be some fogging, but this leads me on to my first question.

Is there any where i can get the film processed, to see what the results are like or do i have to send it to Wayne's with the relevant amount enclosed?

The second question is, is this a common problem and what is the likely cause of it?

Thanks

Kev

It has to go to Dwaynes.
Only you can decide whether its worth it, I suppose if you aren't going to shoot much more and you didn't have the back open for yonks, maybe some will be ok.
I think if it was Asda C41, I'd pay my pound, but Dwaynes & kodachrome is expensive, I don't think I'd send it after opening the back on it..:(

im trying to work out how you didnt notice the old film still in there when you tried to put a new one in ...:thinking:

I'd say the film is toast - opening and faffing with the old cannister out and new film in would have done for it, messing later in a darkroom is stable doors time.

Sad to say, but I agree it's not worthwhile - good money after bad I'm afraid :(

im trying to work out how you didnt notice the old film still in there when you tried to put a new one in ...:thinking:

I'm new to film and the collection spool was black originally, as it was with the old film wrapped around it, with a quick glimpse i didn't notice any difference.

I now know that when the camera gets to 36 exposures to rewind the film instead of allowing the camera to auto rewind.

I this a common problem or is it just a one off occurrence do you think?

Thanks for your help every one.

...and found that my original roll of film had torn off and was still there...

I'm unclear on this. First, what did you put in the envelope, secondly, how did it tear? I'm not being sarcastic BTW, film protocols can seem weird to someone brought up on digital cameras.

F90s were of the auto rewind era but may have a small override button for early wind back which might have confused you. When the film reaches the last frame, typically 36 but often 37 (or even 38 on manual advance cameras) the camera begins to rewind the film, either fully into the cassette, or with the leader exposed.

If you separated the film from the cassette, you must have used a lot of effort (or a pair of scissors) to leave film still on the right hand side. It sounds like user error, in which case you'll only ever do it once, but I'm trying to work out if there's a camera problem from your explanation. A b*gger about your Kodachrome but I agree it's a gonner. If it's any consolation, there's barely a photographer out there who hasn't opened the back of a camera with a film in at some point - your lesson came earlier than many.

In The Old Days when such things were taught, a beginner would practice on a dud film, loading and rewinding until it became instinctive. Automation absolved users of such penance but it also robbed amateurs of the basics by inrtoducing 'magic' into the process early on.

Hi Kev, sorry to hear about the problem. If it is a fault of the camera let me know and I'll do you a refund.

Andy

Hi Kev, sorry to hear about the problem. If it is a fault of the camera let me know and I'll do you a refund.

Andy

Thanks Andy, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I can just use the manual over ride button when it gets to frame 37.

I'm enjoying using it and don't want to give it up.

I'm unclear on this. First, what did you put in the envelope, secondly, how did it tear? I'm not being sarcastic BTW, film protocols can seem weird to someone brought up on digital cameras.

F90s were of the auto rewind era but may have a small override button for early wind back which might have confused you. When the film reaches the last frame, typically 36 but often 37 (or even 38 on manual advance cameras) the camera begins to rewind the film, either fully into the cassette, or with the leader exposed.

If you separated the film from the cassette, you must have used a lot of effort (or a pair of scissors) to leave film still on the right hand side. It sounds like user error, in which case you'll only ever do it once, but I'm trying to work out if there's a camera problem from your explanation. A b*gger about your Kodachrome but I agree it's a gonner. If it's any consolation, there's barely a photographer out there who hasn't opened the back of a camera with a film in at some point - your lesson came earlier than many.

In The Old Days when such things were taught, a beginner would practice on a dud film, loading and rewinding until it became instinctive. Automation absolved users of such penance but it also robbed amateurs of the basics by inrtoducing 'magic' into the process early on.

I didn't realise the film had torn, so an empty film cassette has gone to Dwaynes. The camera go t to 38/39 frames, as i remember thinking I'm doing well out of this roll. As you say it's an automated process I just took the cassette out and stuck it in the envelope filled in my details and sent it off. I think I've maybe had to much of the leader out when I've put the film on and this hasn't registered with the camera, or there is a problem with the sensor that knows when the film has finished (I expect that this isn't the case though as Andy didn't experience it).

I was hoping that some of the frames in the middle of the film that weren't exposed to much light may be recoverable, but it sounds like i was being a bit optimistic.

I was hoping that some of the frames in the middle of the film that weren't exposed to much light may be recoverable, but it sounds like i was being a bit optimistic.

It depends how long you had the back open, in what light and how tightly wound the inside frames were. For forensic purposes it would be worth the risk developing to make a chance discovery, for personal photos it ain't, unless there was an unrepeatable shot of someone and any representation was better than none.

I opened the back of my camera with some Ektar in it when i first used it, i wasn't sure when the film was totally wound back (manual film rewind) I closed it straight away and had no issues on the developed film!

Assuming you still have the little ID number from your Kodachrome envelope it might be worth emailing Kodak/Dwaynes and alerting them to the problem and seeing if they can help you out.

Back