Problem with Nikon 105mm f2.8 G AF-S

shakilearl

Name
Shakil
Edit My Images
No
I recently bought a Nikon 105mm lens to use with my Nikon D800E to do some product photography work. The products I get from my customer are mostly very small and the sales man on the shop I bought the lens from advised me this lens. But after brining it home I found a slight issue with it. It performs well for the small products, the images are sharp but when it comes to a big product like a bag, I am having to move further back and sometimes getting out from my room to cover the product in my camera frame.

I never realised that this would happen with this lens. It's a pretty expensive one and I am very upset as it allows me to shoot only small products.

I am not sure if there is anything I could do with it.

Please advise.

I bought a 300mm f2.8. It's great for taking photos of object far away but totally awful for anything close up. For example I have to sit in the garden to take a photo of something in the kitchen.

Any ideas?

You will need a smaller focal length, a nice length would be 24-70mm, should be fine for indoors, if issue is a cost buy a fixed length like a 50mm prime lens which should be use able indoors.

What other lenses do you own? Have you tried them? What were the results?

I had the 300mm one that inkiboo talking about. But never given me sharp photo for small product. That's I had to sell it and but the 105mm one. That's the only lens I currently have.

Ok, if I would like to buy a 50mm prime, is it possible to get a used cheap one? Any sources?

It performs well for the small products, the images are sharp but when it comes to a big product like a bag, I am having to move further back and sometimes getting out from my room to cover the product in my camera frame.
OK, so you need a lens with a shorter focal length. The question is, how much shorter?
Here's a quick way to estimate. If you use your 105mm lens at a comfortable working distance, how much of the product can you get in the frame? If you can see half of it, then you need a lens with half the focal length, ie about 50mm. If you can see a third of it, then you need a lens with a third of the focal length, ie about 35mm. And so on.

Or you could just buy a 24-70mm zoom and you'll be equipped for everything.

Back