Problems getting PLI

HZF

Name
Hazel
Edit My Images
No
Where do people get their PLI for motorsport photography? The insurer I have been using has just told me that their underwriter has decided not to cover this any more... I just need the PLI, without equipment cover.

Another vote for Direct Line here, been with them for three years now and significantly cheaper than Simply Business

Is there an insurer who does Public Liability cover for amateurs? When I have tried to get quotes online the system assumes that I am professional and insists on me entering my turnover (where £0 is not allowed). Therefore in order to get a quote I would have to lie. As we all know, Insurance Companies will look for any reason not to have to pay out, and by making a false declaration wouldn’t I be giving them the excuse they need? Even worse, if the cover turned out to be invalid then the insurance would be void and any claim would have to be met by the photographer. This could result in bankruptcy.

Can you sell a picture to a pal for a fiver? (With a free gift of a pint)

I thought I'd stumbled upon the answer to my problem earlier today when I received an email from Wex which had a link to a company called photoGuard (www.photoguard.co.uk). Their quote allows to select as an Amateur or Professional, to cover equipment / Public Liability / or both. I put my details in as an Amateur and Public Liability only and it quoted just £42 for £5 million cover. An absolute bargain.

Before completing the quote I thought I should call the venue where I plan to do my photography, Three Sisters Karting circuit in North-West England, just to make sure of the process to get signed-on. Everything is pretty straightforward apart from the fact that they require £10 million cover!

I got on the phone to photoGuard in order to see if they can do £10 million, and whilst they can't under photoGuard, they handed me over to someone who works in their commercial side of things. I explained that as an amateur I didn't want to lie about being a business, and he agreed that the cover needs to be bespoke to an amateur status. He took some details and then called one of the insurers which they deal with, and they themselves admitted that they can only give £10 million to commercial customers, and to falsify the quote would render it invalid.

It looks like I'll have to stay on the outfield for now.

A little bit more digging around on the internet came up with www.ripeinsurance.co.uk who can provide Public Liability only on an Amateur status for £41 (£1 million cover), £49 (£2 million cover), £73 (£5 million cover and £101 (£10 million cover). They also give a 10% discount for members of certain organisations/bodies e.g. RPS.

I'll have to have a think about that one as I only go to 3 or 4 events per year so I'll have to weigh up if it is worth £25 to £35 per event for me just to get on the infield.

Media access is more than just having insurance, you need to prove to the circuit that you being that will be of value to them in terms of bringing them coverage in magazines.

You are right as some venues or events want proof of your work being published. However, in my case and the venue I was hoping to go to, when I spoke to them today all they wanted was Public Liability cover.

You are right as some venues or events want proof of your work being published. However, in my case and the venue I was hoping to go to, when I spoke to them today all they wanted was Public Liability cover.
Which venues have asked for proof of publication?

A little bit more digging around on the internet came up with www.ripeinsurance.co.uk who can provide Public Liability only on an Amateur status for £41 (£1 million cover), £49 (£2 million cover), £73 (£5 million cover and £101 (£10 million cover). They also give a 10% discount for members of certain organisations/bodies e.g. RPS.

I'll have to have a think about that one as I only go to 3 or 4 events per year so I'll have to weigh up if it is worth £25 to £35 per event for me just to get on the infield.
As others have said PLI alone is unlikely to get you "infield" and even if it does don't think you can just go where you like when you like.

The fact I am typing this probably means you don't really have an idea of what is involved. Sorry if that seems a bit harsh, but when you have had to do CPR on so called media you will perhaps understand.

As others have said PLI alone is unlikely to get you "infield" and even if it does don't think you can just go where you like when you like.

The fact I am typing this probably means you don't really have an idea of what is involved. Sorry if that seems a bit harsh, but when you have had to do CPR on so called media you will perhaps understand.

Munch, thank you for your concern, but the fact that I’m typing this means that you really don’t have an idea of the venue I’m referring to or of my background. I’m fully aware that a PLI certificate doesn’t give the holder the right to place themselves and others in danger. Neither does it give the holder powers of invincibility. All of this is quite irrelevant at the moment and for many months to come due to events being cancelled.

Back