Problems with sigma AF

Name
Anna
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone

I've had a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 ex dg for a couple of months and its taken me this long to realise that the AF is slightly off. For example at 70mm f4 the lens will focus on an area approximately a foot in front of where i was aiming for!

I've been blaming myself for my fuzzy photos but it suddenly dawned on me it was only when i was using this lens. So... i've looked at loads of my recent photos and they confirm this.

This is the first lens i've had a problem with (and its my only sigma) so my question is do i just return it to Jessops for a replacement (got receipt), send it to sigma for calibration (?).....or is this typical of third party lenses and would i need to get the canon version to get the result i'm after?

Sorry if i seem a bit naive (sp?), maybe i've just been lucky so far!:)

Many thanks

Anna

It most likely just needs a bit of calibration and having a 5D MkII you should be able to do this in-camera without having to send anything away.

First things first though, if the lens has a filter on it, take the filter off and give it a try - I've had many more dodgy filters than I have dodgy lenses.

If its still fuzzy then try the calibration stuff, just do a quick google to find out how to do it, its pretty painless.

I've had plenty of third party lenses and for the most part they tend to be very good, excellent for the price but if you can't get the results your looking for after calibrating then I doubt jessops will have a problem exchanging it.

Good luck
Rob (y)

Thanks guys - will give that a go first. Thought i could probably do that but wasn't sure as camera is still relatively new and wasn't sure if i'd be making matters worse:)

Spent all morning fiddling and it was a little better but its seems to be focusing just slightly right of the central focusing point. Ok if i'm shooting something flat square on but not much use for anything else!

I'm probably best going back to the shop and testing a few:(

sigma will calibrate it for you, i had an issue with an 18-55 i had from them and they did it, came back really nice and focusing well. Need to play with the micro-calibration thing on my 70-200, its front focusing on the 50d while it didnt on the 20..weird

as an aside how do you rate it? I need a 50d f2.8 walkabout and can't afford canon glass :(

Can't really rate it fairly at the mo... if its soft its no good imo:shrug:
Hopefully i've just been unlucky?

sigma will calibrate it for you, i had an issue with an 18-55 i had from them and they did it, came back really nice and focusing well. Need to play with the micro-calibration thing on my 70-200, its front focusing on the 50d while it didnt on the 20..weird

Yeah... spoke to jessops and its going back to sigma so hopefully it will be sorted, although they have quoted 3-5 weeks!!! Needed it this weekend so i've had to hire a replacement:( - BUT i've hired the canon version so i have a horrible feeling I will have a horrible case of lens lust after this weekend:(

Back