Procamerashop and hdewcameras ??

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anybody experience of using either procamerashop.co.uk of Cumbria or hdewcameras of Wallington, Surrey please.
and, do they sell UK stock
Appreciate any help
Thanks
Dave

Last edited:
I bought my 60D from HDEW cameras in October. Very good service and a free 3 year service contract. (y)

Thanks Alan for the info. of the 2 I would probably buy from procamerashop as I could collect and try so anyone any experience of this shop please.
Dave

Camera Pricebuster will give you the best priced uk items. If its not on that list then it is usually import. I've used HDEW and service was first class (grey imports). Canon lenses carry an international warranty so no problem buying them in import versions but I'm not sure about other brands though.

Thanks Marc, these 2 suppliers are cheaper than CPB.com so can I presume they supply grey imports??
Dave

Last edited:
I would guess so. I have spent nearly £2000 with Hdew buying lenses for work over the past year and they have always been excellent so I wouldn't hesitate about buying from them again even though they are 'grey imports' at the end of the day all lenses are imported :)

I know that a few members have purchased from HDEW - when you get a min or two just do a search on TP... That if they haven't already posted it here :p

Thanks Steve, will do, what do you think of your 70-200 VRII and 2x tc I'm after that lens at the moment and 2x later on in the year
Dave

Last edited:
Dave...

I dont quite think that I'm the one to ask really as there are more "qualified" members than me tbh - I haven't really used them since getting them, althou I did use them when I was in Florida last November...

I found them fine but like I say I'm not really a semi pro or any anywhere near it...

I mainly got them as I went FF - as I did previously own the 70-200 VR1 on a cropped body before hand & also Nikons 1.4 & 1.7 tc's.... Went mainly on reviews as it was sposed to be the bee's knees for FF bodies...

I think that the saying "all the gear & no idea" is a moot that I should have stamped on my forehead :LOL:

I just bought a Canon EF 24-105mm Lens from ProCameraShop - at £130 less than Amazon. The lens is great, and it came boxed with lens hood and case enclosed. I suspect it is a grey import as there was no VAT on the invoice and no warranty card in the box. But I presume that Canon will honour a warranty, especially if I now register it with them and I further assume it is unlikley to go wrong anyway!

Communications were good and delivery was reasonably fast (ordered evening of Thurs 19th and delivered morning of Tues 24th).

Hi,

Same as PhotoMonty just received delivery of a Canon EF 24-105mm Lens from ProCameraShop. I took the bank transfer option which gave an extra 3%off with a final price of £640.99 making it £150 cheaper than Amazon. Excellent service throughout with steady emails each step of the way. Ordered Monday delivered Today!! Can't beat that for service.

People are selling them 2nd hand on the forum for only £60 less must be a bargain might as well buy new for the gaurantee.

Phil

I bought a 7D with a 15-85 from procamerashop. All arrived OK, Canon packaging, charger with UK plug, etc so all seems fine. How can I tell if this is a grey import? Can you tell this form the serial numbers?
I also registered the products online with Canon. No confirmation but no rejection either...? Thanks

Thanks Alan for the info. of the 2 I would probably buy from procamerashop as I could collect and try so anyone any experience of this shop please.
Dave

Unlikely as their address in Carlisle is a managed mailbox business centre type thing not a location in which they hold stock (or indeed have any employees)

Got my sigma 10-20 from procamerashop for £315 saving about £150 to £200 paid on a Monday arrived on a Thursday with official soft case and original box all was good

Thanks. I just looked at HDEW Cameras. As they have an actual shop in Wallington I will visit them and see the L before buying. Their prices are still low but if Canon's international guarantee applies I am more confident. I am looking at the 28-300 L so a significant amount... Am I mad? Cheers

I've ordered a 5DMkIII from Hdew this afternoon. I also ordered my 5DMkII from them and it was delivered in 3 or 4 days. Can't wait for that new camera feeling again.

hugues said:
Thanks. I just looked at HDEW Cameras. As they have an actual shop in Wallington I will visit them and see the L before buying. Their prices are still low but if Canon's international guarantee applies I am more confident. I am looking at the 28-300 L so a significant amount... Am I mad? Cheers

Dunno about sanity. But if you look at eBay prices on there for sh kit don't seem to be much lower than HDEW etc in some cases.

Got my sigma 10-20 from procamerashop for £315 saving about £150 to £200 paid on a Monday arrived on a Thursday with official soft case and original box all was good

Egad! Best I've seen that for used is £299. Still, it'll be another few months before any more significant photographic purchases.. but, it's good to have an additional name or two in mind, when I finally am ready to pounce on one.

HDEW sell grey imports...I bought my 70-200 VR II from them. Very good service and as it's a lens the grey import makes no difference at least for Nikon. It was the same price as second hand lenses were going for in the classifieds on TP at the time.

My 7d arrived today, haven't opened it yet but it came with a VAT receipt, and the VAT no IS registered to HDEW.

It all looks above board, excellent price plus excellent service.

Been looking at this over the weekend so good to hear that the service was good.

:thinking: £835.00 including a 3 year guarantee, can't be bad

Di

Hi Guys.
New to the forum and the reason I joined was because i wanted some info on Procamerashop.

Have been looking at buying the 7D and noticed that they were very cheap, also noticed all the info which has been mentioned above, Have seen lots of reviews but as mentioned who knows if they are real.

However now just read about hdewcameras.co.uk and they seem like a better bet.

as for Grey imports not sure how this works with cameras as aren't they all imported anyway? is there any difference with a grey and buying from a more well know company?

Great forum and great info.

Lee

A little late this but I just ordered a Nikon D700 from Hdewcameras and it was a bargin price and excellent service on emailing and delivery, I'd recommend them.

Took the plunge myself with HDEW yesterday - Canon 7d at £844.99 (inc del)

Typical grey import price but they are sending a VAT invoice. I can't help thinking there's a catch somewhere.......

You're confusing import status with VAT status

a grey import is something that has been legally imported into the UK and all duties and import VAT paid, it's just that it wasn't imported by the official UK importer, Canon UK, Nikon UK as appropriate.

If they are a UK registered business, they will probably have a UK VAT registration no, and will have to account for VAT on all their sales, hence the VAT invoice.

procamerashop are based in Kowloon, are grey importers (& not authorised dealers) they don't have a good reputation, especially if you have a warranty claim. BEWARE!

Do some review research & try to look past the obvious glowing reports.

A couple of experiences; http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30526

Personally, I wouldn't touch em.

If you by a Canon lens for either procamerashop or hdewcameras will Canon UK fix it should there be a problem?

No, there is no Canon warranty, but I know that HDEW offer their own (usually 3 year) free service contract where you return it to them for fixing. I havent had to used mine, but the contract is there and I have heard good reports from those who have used it. Dont know about procamerashop though.

If you by a Canon lens for either procamerashop or hdewcameras will Canon UK fix it should there be a problem?

A quote from Canon uk;
`The sale of grey market goods in the UK infringes Canon's trade mark rights and risks a number of other legal implications including Customs and tax offences, improper localisation for the UK market (including for example, low grade or unsafe third party UK power cords, no valid UK/European manufacturer’s one year warranty.......`

HDEW have an arrangement with a Canon authorised repair centre.

Al

A quote from Canon uk;
`The sale of grey market goods in the UK infringes Canon's trade mark rights and risks a number of other legal implications including Customs and tax offences, improper localisation for the UK market (including for example, low grade or unsafe third party UK power cords, no valid UK/European manufacturer’s one year warranty.......`

One says yes and one says no :LOL:

I think I might call Canon and see if lenses are covered.

Last edited:
Canon UK will look after their own interests - and they don't mind scaremongering in the process.

I would probably be very wary about buying a grey costings thousands, but for a couple or three hundred pounds with a very good saving on UK prices I wouldn't hesitate again.

Al

Dave, joking aside, it actually might be worth checking.

An official enquiry by email. The reply stated;

"Please be advised that a European warranty card is needed for a 12month warranty valid in the UK. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause." Having received two conflicting responses I phoned Canon again and was told that a European warranty card is definitely required as well as the retailer's receipt and that this is stated in Canon's Terms and Conditions. He told me that the warranty for a camera purchased (by the retailer) in Japan is valid only in Japan so I could return the camera there. Otherwise I should have to rely on the retailer.

I don't see why a Canon warranty should not be valid world wide after all they make the product, they obviously sell things cheaper to far east countries than they do in Europe, we are seen as being more prosperous so they can up the price but this is no longer true, a warranty should be for the product not where it's bought.

Back