Beginner Processing baby portraits.

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
Yes
Processing has never been my strong point. I have a tendency to go OTT and only notice (and cringe) when looking back months later so I'd like, and really appreciate, some help and advice please.

I have access to a backdrop - it's non woven material which I understand isn't the best quality at all but it only needs to see me through one shoot. My daughter's turning 1 on August 7th and I'd like to get some photos myself. The backdrop is white and will have colourful paper pom poms attached then, of course, my baby in just a cloth nappy.

This is a very quick shot I fired off. Please pay not attention to the missed focus, it was bed time, she was angry and I was more concerned with just getting something I could work with to see what's what. I only have access to natural light from a large window in a small room. The pom pom in the background is an example of what will be spaced out over the background (although I edited it out of my edit).
11012158_10153560256117962_39495364503970306_o.jpg

And this is what I ended up with. I'm not happy with it. The skin tones are off, too washed out and bright, and it just doesn't have the overall feel I'm after. Although I'm not sure it's within my skill range, both photographically and with processing. I'm working on an uncalibrated screen just now also which only adds to the anxiety. If I had the money, I'd have hired a pro but I'm trying to make the best of what I've got.
11782297_10153560219047962_8043489403017122827_o.jpg

These were shot with a 50mm 1.8 but I'll have a 35mm f2 lens within the next week or so. The room is too small for the 50.

These are a couple of examples of things I love, and would love to be able to somewhat reproduce, although I understand these were shot under completely different circumstances and by people with a skillset that far surpasses my own. The links aren't directly back to the photographers page as this is how I found them.

The skin tones here are beautiful and the overall (sharp but) soft feeling it has.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4d/34/e6/4d34e6ee53160ceeea65ad57536a87f4.jpg

Again, the softness of this image and the colours are just beautiful.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d5/0b/6f/d50b6fff1af73a7b292be43c41300a68.jpg

I'd really appreciate anything you can tell me, even if it's to give up and just get some iPhone shots of the day ;)

It might help with giving feedback if you could say what PP stages you have gone through. It looks like some smoothing of her skin, an increase in exposure and maybe a little reduction in saturation (although that might just be due to upping the exposure).

It's a shame about the missed focus, as this could have been a lovely shot. Nice expression and good eye contact. I don't think there's actually much wrong with how you've processed it really. What do you think is wrong with the processing?

The softness in the second link is due to objects in the foreground and background being out of focus. It's simple to do, you just need to get a bit of distance between the foreground, the subject and the background and use a narrow depth of field, which it looks like you're already using anyway. More distance to the background may be possible with the 35mm as it seems like you're limited by the space available (I know the feeling as I have this problem too with the room I use).

How far was your daughter from the background? Do you have any other place to shoot which will give you more room to increase the distance?

You can always add blur to the background in PS, but it can look false if it's not done well.

Last edited:
Sorry for the slow reply! But yeah, leaning towards over exposure, skin smoothing and a little... almost haze layer added on top.

Yeah I think I'm looking at the photo I liked from the wrong the angle. The depth of field and colours are what I like about it - I'm not going to get that with a portrait with nothing in the background and strong colour! Everything I like about that photo is brought through in the subject and the background so I'm looking at it from the wrong angle, really.

I guess I'm learning that problem leans towards a massive lack of confidence!

I had another play with another quick pre-nap shot today and I'm happier. I feel my lens is having some focusing issues though but that's a worry for another thread!

I'm no pro at all, just a mum with a camera really, so I ought to just go for it and have fun! My confidence holds me back a lot.

Is there a better way to process the background? I only have what I have on hand so whilst it's extra work, I'm prepared to do it. As it stands, I selected the background, refined the edges, painted over in a grey tone and reduced the opacity. I'm not sure if it's working.

11754563_10153585511997962_6873716380545754363_o.jpg

The one thing both of the images you link to have, which yours doesn't, is depth of subject combined with a shallow depth of field. This is what gives the ethereal appearance and gives the sharp but dreamy look. I would worry less about PP and more about subject and composition.

As you've worked out now, the beauty in the portraits you linked has little to do with processing and everything to do with the preparation and shooting. The colour palette for the outfit and background is chosen with care (the important bit you haven't mentioned yet). Then it's simply softly lit and shot with a very shallow DoF, it's basically very simple (whilst not being easy to replicate).

Another tip to take from those shots is getting down low enough, I'm guessing you're sat on the floor for your shots so you're still a fair bit higher than your subject in relative terms. The feeling of intimacy in those shots is produced by the shooting angle and out of focus foreground element.

Back