Produce and share a Zine - do something with your photos!

Great service from Mixam, I emailed them on Sunday to ask about the colour issue I had, they emailed back 7:30 Monday morning and suggested that I try another test print with CMYK. So I have learned how to use Scribus (well just a bit of it anyway) output the images as CMYK JPEGS embedding the ICC profile, redone the whole thing and uploaded for another test print. Phew! Fingers crossed

That bodes well as I did all that in photoshop :). It was much easier with film, bung it in an evcelope and send it off to truprint, get a free film back

I've got both my proofs through now - Doxdirect and Mixam.

Doxdirect's colours are a touch cooler than Mixam's and my screen.

Both are on silk paper but Doxdirect's looks a little bit shinier.

Other than that there's nothing to choose between them that I can see.

Getting the proofs printed has been worthwhile. I've reprocessed a couple of shots based on how they reproduced, and having the full zine through has showed up one of the pics I'd used as not fitting in. So I've been out today to shoot some more. I'm not sure it's among the best things I've done but it seems to hold together. I must stop tinkering though....

Got the second test print back from Mixam using Scribus and CMKY jpeg image files and it looks a lot better. Just got to put the final version together in Scribus now and I'm good to go (y)

Just in case anyone's interested, the idea of a zine exchange in the Analogue Spotlight at the photography show has been floated on Sunny 16 this week. Don't know if it'll pick up any legs and I don't know if they'll allow Dirty Digital but it's piqued my interest.

Do we know how many people have actually commited to the challenge here, so I know how many to keep back?

Just in case anyone's interested, the idea of a zine exchange in the Analogue Spotlight at the photography show has been floated on Sunny 16 this week. Don't know if it'll pick up any legs and I don't know if they'll allow Dirty Digital but it's piqued my interest.

So now I'm thinking of putting an analogue zine together with my new-found zine super-powers for the photogrpahy show in what, two weeks time. Thanks Ian :bat:

BTW what is Sunny 16?
:D

Do we know how many people have actually commited to the challenge here, so I know how many to keep back?

Not really, there seems to be four of us active on the thread plus a couple of other possibles I guess.

I bet nobody would be able to tell if the original pics in a zine were made digitally or gelatinously. :D

yup 4 it seems, shame really, expected more of an interest
I'm not too surprised. Most people seem to be interested in making single, "wall worthy", pictures than sets of pictures that hold together as a body of work.

I'm not too surprised. Most people seem to be interested in making single, "wall worthy", pictures than sets of pictures that hold together as a body of work.
For me it's timing.... I have sufficient images to make a zine or two.... but I have no time currently to get them edited, let alone spend time trying to figure out the printing side of it. So, I'm looking at the next one(whenever that is).

Maybe when we've got this done and dusted it might be worth a post to show the results on the Talk Photography forum at some point. Possibly to announce round two? I'm sure there will be quite a few who never look in this section. I'm not a regular TBH.

Maybe when we've got this done and dusted it might be worth a post to show the results on the Talk Photography forum at some point. Possibly to announce round two? I'm sure there will be quite a few who never look in this section. I'm not a regular TBH.
I never come in to this section.... if it wasn't for my 'alerts', I wouldn't have known where to find the thread.

I never come in to this section.... if it wasn't for my 'alerts', I wouldn't have known where to find the thread.

I tend to look at "New Posts" so it doesn't matter what section things are posted in but I take the point. Then again anyone is free to promote this however they like :)

I tend to look at "New Posts" so it doesn't matter what section things are posted in but I take the point

That's where my "feed" comes from too.

I tend to look at "New Posts" so it doesn't matter what section things are posted in but I take the point. Then again anyone is free to promote this however they like :)
I tried the New Posts for a while but find it easier to locate threads that might interest me from the forum lists. I watch a couple too. Wasn't the idea of this thread that it would appear as an active topic on the home page? That's another page I never look at! I suppose everyone uses TP in different ways.

Yep. Every reply bumps it to the top!

Wasn't the idea of this thread that it would appear as an active topic on the home page?

I think the Active Discussions on the front page is more or less just the same as What's New. This thread is pinned to the top of Talk Printing and Presentation so at least it is at the top of an appropriate sub-forum.

I think the Active Discussions on the front page is more or less just the same as What's New. This thread is pinned to the top of Talk Printing and Presentation so at least it is at the top of an appropriate sub-forum.
What's New? I didn't know there was such a thing. Another revelation for me! :LOL:

Starting to make some progress now, got the initial set of images together, ready for the cull (selection) into what goes in the zine. main printer just run out of ink ...doh!!! so resorting to backup methods, more ink here on Tuesday! Feel like its starting to come together and hopefully will have a test zine in a few days.

I've done a blog post/page about making my zine. I'll wait until the deadline before posting a link. Dont want to spoil the surprise! :LOL:

Well... I got all fired up and thought I'd do a zine for my Tincan selfies stuff in addition to what I am doing for this challenge and I placed an order! Here's a link to the proof on Mixam's website
https://mixam.co.uk/share/5e593b6a626b7a529dd246da

I'm a curious lurker here. I am in the throes of getting started on a 2 year project to photograph Dartmoor through the 4 seasons on film, I'm in the research phase at the moment and will be unlikely to start the taking phase until nest Spring. Ultimately I will be looking to produce some form of publication (book, zine, calendar) once I have completed the project so I am lurking as part of my research for now with interest.

I’m up for this, have a project I shot on film over the last couple of years.
I have put a pdf together but the images are not CMYK so I will have to go through it again and convert them are we still looking at April 4th as a cut off point?

I have put a pdf together but the images are not CMYK so I will have to go through it again and convert them are we still looking at April 4th as a cut off point?

April 4th is the commitment date, that way we know how many zines to print!

I see @ChrisR poked his head above the parapet with a like on post #131 - come on Chris there's no going back now, there's still time :)
While I might try something like making a zine, I don't think I could commit to it by any specific timetable! I realise that's a way to add extra motivation, but at the moment it wouldn't work for me; I have enough trouble keeping up with FPOTY!

I've never (knowingly) converted to CMYK and have been lucky so far.

But I'm a 'close enough for rock'n'roll' kinda person. :exit:

You could always try Mixam's proofing service.

I've never (knowingly) converted to CMYK and have been lucky so far.

But I'm a 'close enough for rock'n'roll' kinda person. :exit:

You could always try Mixam's proofing service.
I did think the same just give it a go but it seems to be the done thing to convert the images, they are all black and white though so will give Mixams proofing service a go maybe :thinking:

I did think the same just give it a go but it seems to be the done thing to convert the images, they are all black and white though so will give Mixams proofing service a go maybe :thinking:
If they are black and white they ought to be fine. What I found was the colours weren't right when I used RGB in Microsoft Publisher which only outputs RGB PDFs. Apparently Scribus and other DTP software output CMYK PDFs if you select to output for print, so it might depend how you created the PDF in the first place. Even if you use CMYK jpegs in Publisher it will output RGB.

BTW, welcome on board Allan, it'll be great to see what you have got. As noted above 4th April is the date by which we were looking for people to commit to printing and posting, zines to be in the post around the 25th of April, Mixam usually take less than a week to print and deliver so the latest possible date for ordering is mid-April.

BTW, just a general note, this isn't a film only thing, digital is welcome too.

Back