Produce and share a Zine - do something with your photos!

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Got a project on the go that you never finish?

Got a set of photos that tell a story?

Why not publish them in a Zine and share with a group on here.

This is a thread that aims to get people printing and publishing their work, what you produce and how is up to you.

What is a Zine? The word is a shortened form of the word magazine and the product is a short, small format magazine, generally it is a small circulation, self-published work. For this challenge it is a collection of your photos edited together into a magazine or small book format. Self-published does not necessarily mean self-printed, you can print yourself or you can send your work off to a printing service – there is a thread about that >>here<< For this group a zine isn't just an album or portfolio of your favourite photos or pictures of your family, the aim is to put together a magazine with images that are the product of a project or shot as a coherent set.

The idea of this challenge is that you sign up here and commit to producing a zine and posting it to all the other people in this zine group, everyone has to cover their own printing and postage costs and in return gets a fantastic zine collection from the other members of the group. The target date for posting out your zines is Saturday 25th of April with Saturday the 4th of April as a last date for people to commit which gives at least 3 weeks for printing etc.

It is recommended that your zine be around A5 paper size and contain around 8 to 12 images. Remember that you have to print and post it so you might want to check postage costs for various sizes. It's also worth pointing out that you are going to have to share your address with the other members of the group so that they can post their zines to you.

Sign-up, chat, banter, progress reports, questions and queries can all be posted in here.

You don't need to decide right now, there are a few of us who are committed to this so watch this thread, hang around, ask questions and start pulling together the content you might include, then when you are comfortable with that let us know. We may well all get hooked on this an run another opportunity to share zine later in the year.

Last edited:
What is a Zine? The word is a shortened form of the word magazine and the product is a short, small format magazine, generally it is a small circulation, self-published work. For this challenge it is a collection of your photos edited together into a magazine or small book format. Self-published does not necessarily mean self-printed, you can print yourself or you can send your work off to a printing service – there is a thread about that >>here<< For this group a zine isn't just an album or portfolio of your favourite photos or pictures of your family, the aim is to put together a magazine with images that are the product of a project or shot as a coherent set.
Bad link to the other thread, Chris. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-book-and-zine-making-thread.706146/

Now watching this thread. :)

I'm in!

I'm in too. I even have an idea for a project to go along with this now. :)

Sounds like a plan, I should be mobile by then (broken angle at the moment!)
I'm not sure it's politic to "like" that, but that sounds harsh... Hope you recover swiftly!

Given that there are a few of in the north we could consider a meet up somewhere?
Sounds like a plan!

How are your zine projects going? I'm at the "too many ideas" stage, there are a couple of ongoing projects for which this could be a catalyst to pull one of them together into a finished project. There are also a few ideas which I still want to shoot, decisions, decisions...

How are your zine projects going? I'm at the "too many ideas" stage, there are a couple of ongoing projects for which this could be a catalyst to pull one of them together into a finished project. There are also a few ideas which I still want to shoot, decisions, decisions...

With a broken ankle (2 weeks ago, pinned and in plaster), I'm not going to get out and shoot much in the next two months, so my zine will be crafted from previous 'projects', have a couple of candidates, but I will go through a re-process stage to get consistent style (and perhaps image format) going. Am likely to a couple of test print runs first.

I'm at the brick wall stage with the one I started for this. Plan B - archival chickens - might have to come into play.

Mine went to Mixam on the weekend. It's a finished project that was based on my test print of the first one I did that had a few quirks I wanted to iron out. Fingers crossed for this one! I have another idea that's part finished, but needs work. If I get that one done, I'll do that, but at least I have a backup!

I recorded the process but it's just audio files and video files at the moment (with lots of swearing and f-ups that need editing out). Never realised quite how much effort is involved in making something that's coherent (the video, not the zine!) Can see how it's a full time job for some.

I recorded the process but it's just audio files and video files at the moment (with lots of swearing and f-ups that need editing out). Never realised quite how much effort is involved in making something that's coherent (the video, not the zine!) Can see how it's a full time job for some.

Video requires more planning and attention to detail (to look acceptable) than I can be bothered with!

The target date for posting out your zines is Saturday 25th of April with Saturday the 4th of April as a last date for people to commit which gives at least 3 weeks for printing etc.
Going on my track record of meeting deadlines this means I'll probably start on this around March 28th. Or a little later... :D

This sounds interesting, I'm off to look for the "watch thread" button so I can see how it develops

Awesome! Some interesting photos on your Flickr feed too.

I'm interested in giving this a go... but, dealing with my son's eating disorder is having a massive impact on my time currently...and I'm not sure I'd get anything finished in the time given. Certainly if there is another round things may be more improved by then... so, I'm watching with interest.

Very interested in this, been looking to do more "stuff" with my pictures.

Give it a go, it's something like 8 - 12 photos and it'll be fun (y)
Yes you can count me in, moved in to a small holding in November, will make a perfect project about off line living and mud! :D

I've been wondering if we are going to share ideas/samples/progress reports on here or let the finished zines be a big surprise? :)

I've almost completed something over the last three days. Been playing with layouts this evening.
Then went out and took more photos today which have changed the direction of the whole thing...

There are no sheep or chickens involved! o_O

_7516933.jpg

Shame :D

That photo looks intriguing though (y)

I'll be putting together a poultry zine at some point soon but it will be more extensive than this exercise. I also want to try to make this zine more of a 'thing' than a collection of pictures.

I'll be putting together a poultry zine at some point soon but it will be more extensive than this exercise. I also want to try to make this zine more of a 'thing' than a collection of pictures.
Are these zines meant to come with an in-depth write up on why you've chosen the images ... ?

Are these zines meant to come with an in-depth write up on why you've chosen the images ... ?
I think that's up to the individual. I'm not going in to detail about the pictures until mine is done, dusted and delivered as I'd like to find out what others read into it. I might share some progress reports on the practical zine making side of things though.

I wasn't going to write anything in-depth, may be a very brief intro but what you do is entirely up to you, for me that is part of the enjoyment of doing things like this, it is a window into how other people see the world and how their minds work.

I wrote a forward in mine which is a couple of paragraphs. I have read some zines with an afterword.
I think it's important to note that these projects aren't being "marked". There's no "right way" to go about it. If you want to let the images speak for themselves, that's fine too. The act of actually making the zine shows care in one's work, and that's enough for me to realise that more thought went into it than a "couple of snaps". That said - I do enjoy reading about the idea behind the project. Often it can inspire me.

Back