Produce & Share a Zine Round III - Complete (Nov - April 21)

When can you NOT attend a proposed 7.30pm Zoom meeting of 40 minutes to chat about these Zines?

• Total voters
I have a strange request to make, does anyone here have an objection to meat?
Just finished a series of photos that might make a good zine.
Would hate to offend anyone unintentionally with the subject matter.
Thanks
Pork pies for lunch today. :giggle:

Idea:
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opnions on having their zine reviewed?
That's a fine idea - I'd be in for that

I've been vegetarian for nearly 40 years, but wouldn't/don't have objections to photos of meat. Sounds like it could be an intriguing zine.

That's a fine idea - I'd be in for that

I've been vegetarian for nearly 40 years, but wouldn't/don't have objections to photos of meat. Sounds like it could be an intriguing zine.

Thanks, hopefully it will be mildly interesting

Thanks

Pictures of meat is OK but I would be greatly offended if you showed pictures of peeled vegetables as their nakedness is against deeply-held beliefs instilled in me since birth. Likewise, no pictures of people hopping, incomplete rainbows, rosetted guinea pigs. Red sand (builders OR sharp), but gravel of almost any colour is ok -- not keen on white though. No pictures of people taking photographs. No pictures of food -- except meat. The meat can be cooked, raw, but not frozen, really, not frozen meat, ugh! Oh, and no pictures of Branston Pickle, unless it's on meat -- frozen Branston Pickle is OK. Definitely no Australians unless they are next to a barby, so that's all Australians, so I guess Australians are OK. Let me think, no, I think that's all of it. I hope I haven't restricted you too much. Or, you could tell me to get a life and take pictures of whatever you want -- publish and be damned! As they say. :);):););) :cool:

With this lock down looking like it is going to drag on I'm going to need another plan, I think I'll call it Plan F. No idea what to do but at least the plan has a name :)

With this lock down looking like it is going to drag on I'm going to need another plan, I think I'll call it Plan F. No idea what to do but at least the plan has a name :)
I've gone right through the alphabet and am back at plan A again! :D

I have zip at the moment, if lockdown is lifted in March then I have an outside chance but otherwise my only real option is to fall back on archival stuff, which is good because it gets some unprinted stuff onto paper, but bad because it isn't what I wanted to do. Bloody virus's (virii?) eh, what are they all about

Thanks
A zine form a working butchers shop would be pretty cool.

Here's a question.

What would say is the minimum amount of pages a zine should have?

Here's a question.

What would say is the minimum amount of pages a zine should have?

Oooh a definition of a pamphlet, zine and booklet?? Thats one for someone with more marbles than me!!

I think that 8 pages would be a minimum, most zines I have received/bought have been 12-28 pages in length - its really whatever fits your project - its the quality of the content that should determine this, though in my experience culling is very hard, but I have found that easier when I think about the flow of the zine as opposed to the technical quality of the image, if I used the latter as a metric I'd struggle to get one side printed!!

Interesting question. Zines started out as home brew things done on photocopiers and the like. so I guess the minimum would be 1 sheet of paper folded in half giving 4 sides/pages. Add a cover to that, probs add another sheet folded for 8 sides/pages. I really do think it is driven by printing and binding constraints as much as artistic intent but I don't think every page needs a photo.

<Cross post with @Mr Perceptive >

I can only relate to the early footie fanzines I bought and they were on average 12-14 pages

I'd say that eight sides including covers would be a minimum. One folded sheet is a leaflet. But a lot will depend on what physical impression you want the publication to give.

Interesting question. Zines started out as home brew things done on photocopiers and the like. so I guess the minimum would be 1 sheet of paper folded in half giving 4 sides/pages. Add a cover to that, probs add another sheet folded for 8 sides/pages. I really do think it is driven by printing and binding constraints as much as artistic intent but I don't think every page needs a photo.

USER] >
That's got me thinking about going that route, back to its origin [emoji848]

Could do with one of those handle operated duplicators to churn out a few pages

Banda Duplicator - or spirit duplicator, we had one at home when I was a child, my Dad rescued it from his office when it was being thrown out, used to print pamphlets and most importantly monopoly money - we had worn our original money out, so the ability to print more was great!!

Its probably inhaling all those spirit smells that has made me what I am today :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back in the 1980s two of my mates started publishing angling guides done in a zine-like way. James did the design/layout and Geoff's sister worked at a print works. After a while they sold the guides to the Westmorland Gazette who did a proper design and print job on them.

James went on to do more book publishing in a similar fashion, graduating to DTP and 'real' printing and eventually publishing two 'real' angling monthlies. Sadly he died about ten years ago, he'd have loved print on demand. It would have saved him living with stacks of boxes of stock!

There was always a mish-mash of typefaces in the early publications as I think they used whatever castoff sheets of Letraset they could get hold of!

_7515462.JPG _7515461.JPG

I must make a concerted effort to find the zine me & my mates made when we started our first band in 1985. The original copy was made with a typewriter (and mistakes) and Tippex (remember that stuff?) and drawings all stuck on sheets of A4, then we photocopied it and sold it for 20p a copy to buy strings for our bassist.

Last time I read it through, it really made me wince...

Last edited:
Did your bass player remain stringless? :LOL:

I think he complained to his mum. If only all problems in life were so easily solved.

I think he complained to his mum. If only all problems in life were so easily solved.
Expensive things, bass strings. It'd take a lot of 30ps these days to buy a set!

Anyway, back on topic. I have two zine plans in progress now. :D

I've still not decided on a theme for my next zine. I've got a couple of ideas for which I already have some photos, but not sure there's enough there just yet. I'll have to see how many more images I can make that fit the topics.

I have a couple of other ideas too, but one is a project that will require an end to lockdown before I'll be able to get going with it properly, and it might be an occasional project that builds up over a longer time period anyway.

not sure there's enough there just yet.

This is always my problem and I was thinking about it the other day. By the time the deadline rolls around I never have enough images I'm happy with to go into the zine. But the deadline makes me finish it which I might not have otherwise done. I look back on some of the zines I've made with a much less critical eye now, than I did when I made them.

I too really need lockdown to finish, although I might have to go for a forced non-exercise wander in a couple of weeks when I have to drive to Chester to get my windscreen replaced and wait 3 hrs when there's no waiting room.

I'm the other way round, I always seem to have too many images, I went out yesterday (daily exercise) and took about 20 images, of which at least 6 could fit into my zine idea!!! I've got 17 possible locations for images in this 'project' so at this rate I could have 100 images to start culling from - that for me is the difficult bit

I'm just going to take a picture a day of my face as I grow a beard. Make it a flick book [emoji23]

(Don't worry I'm not actually going to do that)

Back