Produce & Share a Zine Round III - Complete (Nov - April 21)

When can you NOT attend a proposed 7.30pm Zoom meeting of 40 minutes to chat about these Zines?

• Total voters
I'm sure there'll be enough for another round after this one :)

I keep thinking the deadline is the end of this month. :banghead:

Plenty of time for me to start and finish something less 'challenging' than the one I've rushed through to completion. :)

Last edited:
I had a crazy idea that we should produce a TP zine with pictures from that have been part of the zine swaps.

I think I probably have all the photos I need for mine, but now have to work out how to use Affinity Publisher. I bought it on sale a few months back but haven't opened it since then.
It is pretty easy. Drag an drop mostly.

Setting bleed and margins is easy too.

I think the hardest thing to do is set a picture for full doudle page spread.

I bought it on sale a few months back but haven't opened it since then.
This is me. I think I'll go the PS route as it'll be last minute (again)

I'm pretty much set now. Just need to actually head outside and make the pictures [emoji3064] [emoji38]

Kodak Color Plus and Fujifilm Superia 200.IMG20210329143405.jpg

Best laid plans and all that.

Planned to head out and shoot my Zine this week while off.
Only bloody had to go for Covid test because mild loss in taste and smell [emoji2959]

Hopefully it'll come back negative and a can get out [emoji3526]

Well folks, we're drawing close to the end of the month.

I've spent a few hours today putting my zine together in Publisher this time. It's really about me learning a bit of styling and just trying something different.

Can I ask those in the know. Is it just a case of saving the whole thing as a pdf when complete then uploading that to Mixam? I've "test" saved it as a pdf and it looks pretty good in a pdf reader. Any pitfalls to watch out for? (going B&W again so no colour woes)

Any pitfalls to watch out for? (going B&W again so no colour woes)
If not in colour then CMYK isn't an issue. The only other things are the bleed (if you have pictures running to the edge of pages), and how you've saved the PDF - save as All Pages, not as All Spreads. If it looks OK in a PDF reader it should be OK. Once uploaded check the preview and you should spot any problems. Should... :LOL:

PS I don't consider the ninth to be near the end of the month!

Well folks, we're drawing close to the end of the month.

I've spent a few hours today putting my zine together in Publisher this time. It's really about me learning a bit of styling and just trying something different.

Can I ask those in the know. Is it just a case of saving the whole thing as a pdf when complete then uploading that to Mixam? I've "test" saved it as a pdf and it looks pretty good in a pdf reader. Any pitfalls to watch out for? (going B&W again so no colour woes)

Just to add to Eds note, include the bleed whether pictures run to the edge or not, otherwise Mixam will query it, ask you all sorts of technical questions you don't understand, and to make it all go away you will reprint the pdf with the bleed added :confused:

Just to add to Eds note, include the bleed whether pictures run to the edge or not, otherwise Mixam will query it, ask you all sorts of technical questions you don't understand, and to make it all go away you will reprint the pdf with the bleed added :confused:

Damn. I'm not sure whether I did this.

They took my money though... Won't they just print it and leave me alone?

They'll wait a couple of days until you think all is well then email you, offering to add a bleed but warning of potential dire consequences, I believe earthquakes in nicaragua and the rapture were mentioned, but my memory is a little hazy. They'll also offer you the chance to resubmit, I suggest you do that :)

Depends on how they're feeling on the day in my experience!

The bleed they offer to add is what they call a 'mirror bleed', which flips the outer edge of the pages. If that's a uniform colour there's nothing to worry about, but if an image runs to the edge it might, or might not. All depends on how accurately the finished article is guillotined.

If that's a uniform colour there's nothing to worry about, but if an image runs to the edge it might, or might not

Well the only people who'll be disappointed will be my paying customers... Oh wait....

My zine is almost finished. My muse took me a bit off the beaten track with the format and now I'm almost done, I'm getting nervous about the choices I've made. At this stage of the game, I need to hold my nerve! What's the latest thinking on how many copies we might need?

What's the latest thinking on how many copies we might need?

Last time I counted was 15 or 16 I think. If we assume not everyone will go ahead, should be less. Mixam had no price difference for me from 20-30 so I went for 30. At least if we have a shortage of toilet rolls again I'll be ok.

Just to clarify "what happens next"...

On Monday 26th April, I will be asking people to commit. I'll tag everyone who has shown an interest in the thread. The deadline for committing will be Sunday 2nd May.
By "commit", I will be asking for a PM to me with your name, address, & forum handle. (Makes it easy to copy/paste into a single doc)
On Monday 3rd May, I will send out a PM to all who have signed up with a list of everyone's name & addresses.

You then have until the end of May to get your zine ordered, printed and posted out.

From previous experience what sort of lead times for printing should I expect from Mixam please?

Thanks

My dispatch note said 16th April which is about a week.

My last two proofs/samples have taken longer than expected with postmark being days after the email saying they'd been despatched arrived. :thinking:

Struggling to edit down my project into a coherent Zine, more difficult than I expected.

The project ended up being episodic, which worked well on social media, but would make an enormous Zine...

How are the rest of you manging? Any tips or thoughts?

I'm considering re-thinking the whole thing and creating a new piece of work from what I've shot.

Thanks all, so I should be fine if I allow for a fortnight.
Yep. Also, bear in mind that unless your name is Colin no-one is going to mind if things delay past May due to circumstances beyond your control.

I had two plans, and Lockdown pretty much scuppered them both. When I finally sat down on Saturday to make it, I had to come up with another idea and do some very tight editing. I'll be honest, I think it comes across as a bit messy, but that's where my head has been for the past few months.

FINALLY
After weeks and weeks of dragging my feet and making a right balls up of the scannig of my 3 roll of colour film
I have smashed the zine out in 4 days [emoji2962]

Re-shot the lot on digital in a single day and have just finished to zine.

Pretty sure the whole rushed nature comes across.

Still, I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
Struggling to edit down my project into a coherent Zine, more difficult than I expected.

The project ended up being episodic, which worked well on social media, but would make an enormous Zine...

I'm considering re-thinking the whole thing and creating a new piece of work from what I've shot.

That was very enjoyable Chris - thanks for sharing.

That was good while it was a stand up routine...

...then it turned into a TED talk. :(

My zine's been finished for weeks a) because I thought the deadline was the end of March, and b) because taking the photos for it was more fun that doing work for customers. :D

I’ll watch that later.........

Went with my latest idea, involved several (local) trips out for shooting over a 3 week period, hopefully that's all done now, unless I find some glaring holes that need plugging. Now to decide on zine format and layout, and then to work on editing and culling (the hard part) images. Hopefully will be ready to go to print in a couple of weeks.

So my zine was not only about images, it was about text too. I'm sure when you get it you'll see how rudimentary my experiments were, but I've been following Daniel Milnor on YouTube for some time now and one of his commenters referred out to a Netflix documentary called "Abstract The Art of Design" where there is one episode on Typography.

I'm quite interested in typography and so found it an absorbing 40 minutes (if you have Netflix!). It's likely not for everyone though!

So if you're at the design stage, and you're interested in putting text into your zine, it's worth having a think about the design of typography and how it might add to your work. I'm sure you'll do a better job than I did, but I'm still very much a beginner!

So my zine was not only about images, it was about text too. I'm sure when you get it you'll see how rudimentary my experiments were, but I've been following Daniel Milnor on YouTube for some time now and one of his commenters referred out to a Netflix documentary called "Abstract The Art of Design" where there is one episode on Typography.

I'm quite interested in typography and so found it an absorbing 40 minutes (if you have Netflix!). It's likely not for everyone though!

So if you're at the design stage, and you're interested in putting text into your zine, it's worth having a think about the design of typography and how it might add to your work. I'm sure you'll do a better job than I did, but I'm still very much a beginner!
Affinity has a tutorial on basic typography.

There is a young youtuber Sophia Carey, who put together a series of short videos on Typography

Back