Produce & Share a Zine Round III - Complete (Nov - April 21)

When can you NOT attend a proposed 7.30pm Zoom meeting of 40 minutes to chat about these Zines?

• Total voters
I did a foundation course in art and design intending to do a degree in graphic design at the end of it but they wouldn't let me because my work had a 'loose style'. That's code for untidy and messy... Which was fair comment. :LOL:

If there had been today's computer wizardry back in the middle ages I'd have been fine coz that tidies everything up snapping to grids and rulers.

Anyway, the typography is a key element in my next zine's cover design. ;)

Still plenty of time as Dave would say :)

When are we getting final participant numbers?

The 2nd May will be the closing date for people to formally sign up.

I've been through the thread and 18 people have shown interest in it. I doubt all will be doing a zine and I very much doubt someone who hasn't put a comment in the thread will suddenly come along. My thought is that worst case, it'll be 18.

They'll wait a couple of days until you think all is well then email you, offering to add a bleed but warning of potential dire consequences

Just got the dispatch note. Arriving tomorrow apparently. Maybe they liked the cut of my jib? Or maybe my zines will be broken :(

I'm surprised folks have ordered without knowing final numbers.

I have ordered a test print, just wondering how the whole colour think will work. Coming from RGB to CMYK.

PDF was created in CMYK exported in CMYK but when viewed it looks as it should. Which has confuddled me, I thought if it's CMYK then looking at it on an RGB monitor the colours would look different.

Last edited:
So they arrived!

My wife just had a read through and gave me the look that she reserves for when I've done something really stupid.

Confidence deleted.

Well I was thinking about this the other night. There's nothing stopping me asking people now if they want to commit!

Sooooo... This is the list of people who have expressed interest in the thread. If you're not going ahead with this challenge, don't worry - you don't need to do anything!

@Shugpug if you are still abroad and want to take part (and still have a UK postal address for sending to like last time), I'm happy for you to send me a box of zines and I will put one in with each of my zines when I send them out so your only cost is a single parcel to me. (Double edit - you could also use Mixam and get it delivered straight to my house from the printer and I'll send the surplus in the box to you at UK costs)

@Mr Perceptive (signed up)
@Harlequin565 (signed up)
@MrDrizz (signed up)
@Ed Sutton (signed up)
@Allan.H (signed up)
@sirch (signed up)
@Thmaga (signed up)
@Shugpug
@flook999 (signed up)
@Cloudforest (signed up)
@FishyFish (signed up)
@tijuana taxi (signed up)
@yamahatdm900 (signed up)
@gjhill (signed up)
@Stegosaurus
@richardhall (signed up)
@ShinySideUp
@viewfromthenorth (signed up)

If you are still interested in taking part, the following will happen.

1. Between now and Sunday 2nd May, PM me with your forum name, real name and address. (Reason I ask for forum name is it makes it easier to paste it all into a notepad doc for the massive PM I will send out at the end and makes it easier for me to see if I missed anyone!) As I add a name/address to the main list, I'll post a receipt on here so people can keep track of whether I've messed up.

2. On Monday 3rd May, I will send a PM out to all those taking part and post in this thread the final numbers so people can make appropriate print orders. For those of you who can't wait, there are 18 people tagged above and I very much doubt anyone new will come into this at this stage. We might have a few lurkers who were waiting to the end but I'm not expecting a surge. 25 prints should easily cover it. 20 if you're feeling risky. Or you can wait until the 3rd.

3. Print your zine, and post it out before the end of May if you can!

Last edited:
That's a dirty dozen!

I've been saving all the Amazon cardboard envelopes things like CD's and small books come in.
Its good to recycle, guessing the Zines will be posted as a large letter for about £1.50 a shot.
That's what it cost me to send a DVD I sold last week, paid online and printed off a label at home.
Might get a few sheets of inkjet labels to make it even easier, really getting into it now.

I only wish there was a way to add multiple address at one time. Pain entering each address manually while using RM online postage thingy.

Last edited:
Finally, I think I have the contents sorted and built into a draft, I've found this one quite difficult, maybe its the material, maybe its just my headspace. I keep chanting (internally) "Less is More"!!! but its so hard discarding (half) decent images because they don't fit the narrative - I started with just over 600 images (shot over several visits), the initial cull gave me 98 images (some were similar duplicate views in different weather conditions) and now I'm down to less than 20, its been brutal :banghead:

Maybe I'll shoot the next one on film as there will be considerably less images to start with!

Now to do the final image edits, export in CMYK and build the final zine.

Finally, I think I have the contents sorted and built into a draft, I've found this one quite difficult, maybe its the material, maybe its just my headspace. I keep chanting (internally) "Less is More"!!! but its so hard discarding (half) decent images because they don't fit the narrative - I started with just over 600 images (shot over several visits), the initial cull gave me 98 images (some were similar duplicate views in different weather conditions) and now I'm down to less than 20, its been brutal :banghead:

Maybe I'll shoot the next one on film as there will be considerably less images to start with!

Now to do the final image edits, export in CMYK and build the final zine.

I had the opposite issue, very limited number of photos that were never intended for anything other than a record.
Quality is ok and will be fine for insertion into an A5 document, but cropping has been challenging.

Assuming this one goes well I aim next time to take photos specifically for a zine rather than adapt existing ones
No doubt it will be easier with more freedom, for instance my main idea requires a few days in Paris (this photo lark can be hard at times)

Last edited:
I had the opposite issue, very limited number of photos

This was my problem too! I think Lockdown made this much more difficult for me and it's reflected in the content. It's the third best zine I've done (I've done 4) but I learnt a ton using Affinity Publisher so I'll count it as a win - even if my readers don't :)

Last edited:
Quality is ok

I've got no excuses here, whole zine was shot on a GFX50S :eek:, if the quality of images is not up to it, its me and not the gear, maybe I could produce the worlds first A0 sized zine - certainly wouldn't be compatible with several peoples storage systems, I got into enough trouble (abuse) last time for making a 210 square zine :ROFLMAO:

I've got no excuses here, whole zine was shot on a GFX50S :eek:, if the quality of images is not up to it, its me and not the gear, maybe I could produce the worlds first A0 sized zine - certainly wouldn't be compatible with several peoples storage systems, I got into enough trouble (abuse) last time for making a 210 square zine [emoji23]
Flippin ek, your exported PDF is going to be massive.

Back