Produce & Share a Zine Round III - Complete (Nov - April 21)

When can you NOT attend a proposed 7.30pm Zoom meeting of 40 minutes to chat about these Zines?

• Total voters
There seems to be quite a few folks knocking out zines in Cheshire, I guess there is nothing else to do there :) , so I'd be prepared to venture south of Manchester somewhere.

If there is going to be alcohol involved, I was thinking something like Manc or Liverpool as they are easily get-to-able by train. Anyone coming slightly longer distances might be able to get a direct train in a short time. I quite like Liverpool (Mrs H is from there so it's got to be good) and it has the Open Eye Gallery (which is shut right now) close to the Albert Dock.

If driving, I think someone with more nouse than me needs to have a look at a map when I send the addresses out to figure out what the easiest location is for folks to get to.

Are we going to a post date. As in we all aim to post on the same day?

Nah. Some people might not have made print orders yet. I'll send the address list out on Monday then request that everyone gets their zines posted out before the end of May. Historically, most people are finished and send out on or close to the day, but some take a bit longer - which is absolutely fine.

If there is going to be alcohol involved, I was thinking something like Manc or Liverpool as they are easily get-to-able by train. Anyone coming slightly longer distances might be able to get a direct train in a short time. I quite like Liverpool (Mrs H is from there so it's got to be good) and it has the Open Eye Gallery (which is shut right now) close to the Albert Dock.

If driving, I think someone with more nouse than me needs to have a look at a map when I send the addresses out to figure out what the easiest location is for folks to get to.
I'd be OK with Liverpool and if there is a beer involved (I hope there is) would probably see if I could get a premier inn or similar. What about a date? 22nd of May?

<ETA> Chester or Manc would be fine too.
<ETA2> And if we said afternoon into evening we could do some snapping and or visit the Open Eye etc. in the afternoon and people could stay as long as they like. Re beer, unless pubs are fully open by then my son tells me there are long queues, like 2 hours, to get into Liverpool pubs, probably the same in all big cities though

Last edited:
My zines are being delivered next Wednesday, ordered up 20 middle of last week.
Probably get them sent out over that weekend, envelopes and labels waiting.

My zines are being delivered next Wednesday, ordered up 20 middle of last week.
Probably get them sent out over that weekend, envelopes and labels waiting.

Rich, full marks for keen-ness!!! Mine will go off to Mixam this weekend, so hopefully back a week or so after that. Will wait to find out if there is a NW meetup before shipping

Rich, full marks for keen-ness!!! Mine will go off to Mixam this weekend, so hopefully back a week or so after that. Will wait to find out if there is a NW meetup before shipping

Only way to stop me messing about with it David and the inevitable cock up that would have ensued.

Meet up is very unlikely for me this time, but if there were one later in the year it could well be a goer.
Would be nice to see the other participants, think it would be more fun when more places are open
Also by then rail travel should be easier plus I have my second jab mid May

Intriguing, is it a two part zine?
It is. I've wanted to do a tabloid newspaper for ages, and this seemed like a good excuse. But I got part-way in and started to worrry that it wouldn't work very well. So I decided to hedge my bets and do a smaller tabloid with a colour supplement. I'm quite pleased with the tablod bit.

It is. I've wanted to do a tabloid newspaper for ages, and this seemed like a good excuse. But I got part-way in and started to worrry that it wouldn't work very well. So I decided to hedge my bets and do a smaller tabloid with a colour supplement. I'm quite pleased with the tablod bit.

No way, that sounds fantastic and such a great idea. Can't wait.

At this rate I'll have to enclose a fiver with each copy of mine as compensation. :(

At this rate I'll have to enclose a fiver with each copy of mine as compensation. :(
Mine doubles as toilet paper which is extremely valuable...

O wait... :(

I'm kind of hoping mine gets mistaken for junk mail and recycled straight away.
Maybe I should have disguised it as a Dominos menu or a political flyer

Last edited:
I know there is a degree of humour here guys, but for me, once again, I'm pleased I've managed to finish something with my photography and also that I've managed to use Publisher to make something other than what I've done before. My wife may think it's daft, but this is for me what the essence of photography is all about. It's about making something that's (however immature) got direction, purpose and thought behind it.

Every zine I've received has been great, and has inspired me to have another go even when I'm not massively pleased with the results.

I was thinking about stepping away from doing another one after this as I'm thinking one shot books are more my thing, but seeing so many people sign up and commit to this has changed my thinking. Without jumping to conclusions about you all, you're ordinary photographers - just normal people who have a creative vision (this is a fact - you've made a zine!) and who have a message - no matter how weird it may seem, how inconsequential, or how terrible you might think it is. The very fact you've made it elevates you above the masses IMO.

I got this feeling on the last week of my courses when all the students would fetch their work in and display it on an A1 board. So very few of them were happy, or complimentary about their own work but nonetheless they took the projects on board, took the photos, umm'd and aah'd over them, then finally presented them. It was very humbling to see, and wonderful too when I realised just how accessible photography is to someone who wants to communicate something with pictures instead of words.

Hats off to you all IMO.

It's pretty normal to not be totally happy with your final result. For me it drives me forward, next one will be better.

I am very happy with this Zine, vast improvement on my first.

I love this Zine swap thing we have here. Everyone has totally different ideas, visions and interpretations.

Bloody fantastic stuff.

I've been collecting photo zines for a little while, and I've yet to find one that I haven't enjoyed. I'm really looking forward to seeing what others have done for this swap.
And if I'm honest with myself, I know that I'm also looking forward to knowing that there's a small group of people who will be receiving physical copies of my photography. Even if all you do is glance, sneer and decide it's rubbish, because you'll have had to look. I'll get a kick out of that.

I've been collecting photo zines for a little while, and I've yet to find one that I haven't enjoyed. I'm really looking forward to seeing what others have done for this swap.
And if I'm honest with myself, I know that I'm also looking forward to knowing that there's a small group of people who will be receiving physical copies of my photography. Even if all you do is glance, sneer and decide it's rubbish, because you'll have had to look. I'll get a kick out of that.
Very nicely sums it up for me too

Every Bus Stop Has A Coffee Shop was the title that made me smile and got me into the idea of zines Richard. Always be grateful for that one.

Question: Why are no ladies taking part? Are zines a male thing? Do we need to be more inclusive? Is it Dave/Martin's sandals?

Bed time for me I think.

talking about it online is very male dominated!!
Agreed. My courses were also 50/50 - actually more often biased in favour of women. Didn't think about this though. Makes sense.

From the workshops I've run I'd say thats not true, usually about 50% of the participants are women, but talking about it online is very male dominated!!
I expect there aren't many men talking about yarn bombing on-line.

Still pondering my final layout.:rolleyes:

Or a possible trawl through my photos tagged 'cats' to make a zine people might like! :D

Every Bus Stop Has A Coffee Shop was the title that made me smile and got me into the idea of zines Richard. Always be grateful for that one.
Does that mean I can call myself an influencer?!! But I'm glad you liked it.

It's already crossed my mind.

Except 'Fred goes Fishing' doesn't have a happy ending. :LOL:
I'd definitely buy a copy of 'Fred Goes Fishing'

In other news, part 2 has just been delivered. I'm a bit pleased with it!

Re: Meetup.

My father-in-law was taken into hospital on Monday. Prognosis isn't good and we're on back-and-forth-at-a-moment's-notice at the moment. I can't commit to a date.

I'm thinking a meetup at the end of round IV with an open invite to anyone who's taken part in I-III to attend. Downside is that round IV will likely be May - October with the exchange in November which is a bit of a chilly time for some of the old folks here :)

Also re:Round IV, I'd be up for another one. Also happy to organise it but also [more than] happy to step down if someone else wants to "run" it.

Back