Critique Product photography using single studio light

S

stupar

I enjoy watching videos by the likes of Karl Taylor and Martin Botvidsson when they do simple but effective product photography using a single light source and I often want to replicate or attempt my own product shots too.

I have a single studio head with modifier, a 5 in 1 reflector and lots of black and white card for flagging and bouncing light so I thought I would have a go with some of my wife's cosmetics.

This is something I would like to do more of so I thought I would put this image up for critique.
Now on reflection I can see already a couple of things that don't quite work -

The first is the pebble that appears to be touching one of the lip glosses which on reflection feels wrong - I'm also questioning whether the pebbles add to the image or are more of a distraction ( I did feel the lip glosses on their own looked a touch bland)
The second is each lip gloss is a glass container and there is printed text that wraps around the glass and you can just see it on the edges and I'm now aware I could probably have moved the light and maybe done some composite work in post

I'm looking for genuine critique on anything else that could be improved upon in these types of shots.

To give you an idea of what my setup was for this shot, I had -

Studio flash with 120cm softbox behind and above subject at approx 45 degree angle (I appreciate that the softbox size is overkill for something like this but at present its my only modifier I have)
Subjects on a sheet of matt black card
White card either side of product for some added side fill

Finally thank you for taking the time to look and comment, it's much appreciated!

Tropic lip gloss by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Back