Product plate for light stand

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
No
Not sure if these have a proper name but looking for a plate (steel?) with a standard threaded base connection to fit the top of a light stand so I can place a perspex sheet on top for a few product type shots.

Can anybody recommend one and a source?

Thanks

Hi Derek - what you need is a "baby plate":

These do not screw onto a light mounting spigot though: you take the spigot out of the top of the light stand and insert the rod on the plate in there instead. You can then place a small piece of acrylic (Perspex) on top, or you can screw the plate to a piece of MDF loft board (which I then painted matt black). This will support larger pieces of acrylic slab. I have one with a board, and one without, as sometimes, you need to get a light or diffusion panel really close to the bottle to get the light all the way to the base (and you can make the background as large as you want later on in post).

Really old blog post

These ones with a ball joint are a little more expensive, but add the ability to level (or tilt) the table

This is very convenient if you have water on the table. I didn't use the baby-plate table for this shot as a 1m by 0.5m acrylic slab is just too big for for it, however you can see an example of a pool of water on the slab. View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLznbEnAZaw/

Incidentally: "baby" refers to the size of the pin, and is the standard size for almost all flash heads. The next size up is "junior". The connection into the base on C-stand upright shafts are usually junior. These plates were originally designed to make permanent, static light mounting points on walls/ceilings etc.

Last edited:
OK, so the cheap stands I have won't release the spigot. There is a small locking screw that is easily removed but the spigot won't budge. Is it a case of more brute force required or do I buy a different stand to use for this?

OK, so the cheap stands I have won't release the spigot. There is a small locking screw that is easily removed but the spigot won't budge. Is it a case of more brute force required or do I buy a different stand to use for this?
A better stand or a double female spigot.

Whichever suits your kit needs best.

Like this?

I don't mind spending a bit more for a newcstand. Any recommendations?

These are good for regular stands:-

(they have the removable spigot ends on them that you can not only remove, but put in horizontally - which becomes useful later when you buy a bucket of Superclamps).

You can get female baby plates like this one:-

Tbh though, the stands with fixed spigots are usually lightweight travel stands, and probably not up to supporting a table/bottle. Best to get some beefier stands.

Was meant to say new stand, hit c instead of space :ROFLMAO:

Any other brands recommended that are equivalent?

Any other brands recommended? Reluctant to give Lencarta more money until they sort my flashgun, they are taking a ridiculous amount of time and their comms are very poor

I’ve got a few light stands, the Lencarta one is the best bang for buck by a mile.
Any other brands recommended? Reluctant to give Lencarta more money until they sort my flashgun, they are taking a ridiculous amount of time and their comms are very poor

Shame how you feel about LenCarta, as I have the Stand that Phil said about and think it's great to use.

Sorry to hear that Derek - I've only ever had nothing but excellent service from Lencarta.

If the stand's good you should probably go for it regardless, you're the one who'll be stuck using the thing at the end of the day but if Lencarta really isn't an option then you can try something like instead:

PM me if you're having a problem with Lencarta, although long-retired I still have personal friends there (including their MD) and I can either give you his email address or will contact him on your behalfj, whichever you prefer.

Going back to that lighting stand, it's simply the best there is - totally unique, patented, exclusive and it has a lifetime warranty.

I'm trying to cut them a bit of slack as I'm told they have a depleted staff (like most places). They also said the part required isn't available and they don't know when it will be available. It's just dragging on but I appreciate there may be things outwith their control. It isn't my only light so not stopping me doing some projects but it's just a pain

Back