Critique Product shots on black

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Got a sheet of black and white perspex a while ago and my wife is away for the day with my wee boy so the living room got converted into studio mode so I could practice my product lighting more. The D700 shutter count is getting scary high so dug the d7000 back out for these and shot with 4 yongnuo flashes for lighting. Would love any advice/ideas on improving these for next time.

16884879037_a82d1be871_b.jpg

17091580641_73301056f3_b.jpg

17090772942_135d481f7a_b.jpg

16906063739_7aa80cb769_b.jpg

17092278525_ed5ce2db83_b.jpg

16904494678_9af98c3669_b.jpg

Last edited:
The only problem is sampling the product after each shot......;) :beer:

I think I would have kept the JD bottle in focus on the penultimate shot even though it is patently obvious what it is. The reason being that you say these are product shots. If I was the producer I wouldn't want my product shot at f2.8 in the background.

Just shows - the JD shot was my favourite because it WAS out of focus. And thus so different to all the others.

Thanks, yeah probably should have probably shot the JD glass shot both ways, was going for more the joy of bourbon rather than specific Jack Daniels in that one. Want to reshoot that with more depth and a different lighting setup on a wood surface rather than the black for more rustic feel but couldn't be bothered digging out the laminates as well today.

and yeah the whole concept nearly got derailed after the Hoegaarden,. I've thrown my back out so minimal retouching as I can't sit at a desk at the moment but the samples helped get through taking photos.

Love them all Craig. Only thing I will add, is that my eye is drawn to the very hard edge of the 'table' in the first 3 shots. The other shots have a nice out of focus edge which looks softer and better (IMHO).

Love them all Craig. Only thing I will add, is that my eye is drawn to the very hard edge of the 'table' in the first 3 shots. The other shots have a nice out of focus edge which looks softer and better (IMHO).

Thanks, I had a grid on the background light in first three and removed it for later ones. I think I prefer the blurrier edge as well though there's a bit more spill on to the table than I'd really like. Might try zooming the flash head more next time and see if it gives a happy medium.

Last edited:
Interesting lighting projects, thanks for sharing.

Hope your back recovers soon, is your wife going to believe you put your back out, arranging small beer and spirit bottles?

Plus parting thought, would any of them benefit from including more or less of the reflection from the table surface?

Last edited:
Cheers, back was out before it unfortunately, was no fun setting up my vinyl background, and even less packing everything away. Funny how you're not as aware of pain until you stop. Cocodamol and hoegaarden were very efficient remedies though :)

I like seeing shots with strong reflections and its probably my weak composition skills at fault but personally when I include more of it I find the product gets lost in the shot. Not sure the best framing to include extra reflection?

Missed these these the other day.
Again I cant add anything to what as been said. I just popped in to say I viewed them and left feeling very inferior :))

Very cool photos and look most professional could adorn many a magazine cover I am sure.

Gaz

Back