Professional help needed!!!

Edit My Images
Yes
I shoot 4k music videos & use the latest version of final cut pro to edit....

I cut/chop, use transitions, effects & maybe some colour grading.

All videos are 4k, now my macbook air is not strong enough for the completion of the tasks i do smoothly so i want to go out & buy a new machine which will be able to take the things i throw at it such as the editing in 4k.

Now when i edit i do not need loads of apps open at the same time, i will just have final cut pro & maybe google chrome open so i am really not sure is RAM is an issue to me... This is why i came for help through this forum! Some people say i need a 32GB RAM for 4k video editing but a 16GB RAM is enough unless i have loads of apps open at the same time of my editing....

Its very confusing which one to go for...

Please let me know if the Macbook below i am looking to buy is good enough for my needs.

APPLE 16" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (2019) - 1 TB SSD, Silver

Processor - Intel[emoji2400] Core[emoji769] i9 Processor
- Octa-core
- 2.3 GHz / 4.8 GHz
- 16 MB cache
RAM 16 GB DDR4 (2666 MHz)

Graphics card - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
- 4 GB GDDR6

Storage 1 TB SSD

£2569.00

Thank you so much for everyones help.

Well, the minimum specifications are here:-
https://www.apple.com/uk/final-cut-pro/specs/

Where it says
Minimum System Requirements
  • macOS 10.14.6 or later
  • 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K editing, 3D titles and 360° video editing)
  • OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later
  • 256MB of VRAM (1GB recommended for 4K editing, 3D titles and 360° video editing)1
  • Discrete graphics card, macOS High Sierra or later, and SteamVR required for VR headset support. AMD Radeon RX 580 graphics card recommended for best performance.
  • 3.8GB of disk space

Last edited:
I shoot 4k music videos & use the latest version of final cut pro to edit....

I cut/chop, use transitions, effects & maybe some colour grading.

All videos are 4k, now my macbook air is not strong enough for the completion of the tasks i do smoothly so i want to go out & buy a new machine which will be able to take the things i throw at it such as the editing in 4k.

Now when i edit i do not need loads of apps open at the same time, i will just have final cut pro & maybe google chrome open so i am really not sure is RAM is an issue to me... This is why i came for help through this forum! Some people say i need a 32GB RAM for 4k video editing but a 16GB RAM is enough unless i have loads of apps open at the same time of my editing....

Its very confusing which one to go for...

Please let me know if the Macbook below i am looking to buy is good enough for my needs.

APPLE 16" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (2019) - 1 TB SSD, Silver

Processor - Intel[emoji2400] Core[emoji769] i9 Processor
- Octa-core
- 2.3 GHz / 4.8 GHz
- 16 MB cache
RAM 16 GB DDR4 (2666 MHz)

Graphics card - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
- 4 GB GDDR6

Storage 1 TB SSD

£2569.00

Thank you so much for everyones help.

That spec should be capable for 4k editing.

That spec should be capable for 4k editing.
Thank you so much!.... This is all i wanted to know because im not a person who has more than 2 tabs/apps open at the same time so i was thinking is it worth me upgrading to 32gb ram for so much extra ££ instesd of going with 16gb for my needs.

Just a thought. Have you tried opting for proxy media for editing. Playback quality is a bit limited but it doesn't put a huge load on the CPU. Final rendering is from the original media, so output quality is not a problem.

What’s the specs of your air? Presumably a dual core with no gpu, going for an 8 core machine costing nearly 3grand is a serious upgrade, just want to make sure that you’re not spending money you don’t need to just because you’re frustrated with your current set up and want the best of the best to solve your problem. That being said I’ve always been a cheap skate and got by with minimal expenditure, I’m still on a late 2013 MacBook Pro and 2013 iMac, editing 4K video just fine

maybe an external Gpu wouldn’t be a bad upgrade ?

Last edited:
What’s the specs of your air? Presumably a dual core with no gpu, going for an 8 core machine costing nearly 3grand is a serious upgrade, just want to make sure that you’re not spending money you don’t need to just because you’re frustrated with your current set up and want the best of the best to solve your problem. That being said I’ve always been a cheap skate and got by with minimal expenditure, I’m still on a late 2013 MacBook Pro and 2013 iMac, editing 4K video just fine

maybe an external Gpu wouldn’t be a bad upgrade ?
Please check your private message inbox.

I can edit 4k on my 2015 MacBook Pro. 2.5ghz quad core with 16gb ram.

As said, use proxy media if you have to, or reduce the quality to better performance in the view drop down menu next to the inspector.

I can edit 4k on my 2015 MacBook Pro. 2.5ghz quad core with 16gb ram.

As said, use proxy media if you have to, or reduce the quality to better performance in the view drop down menu next to the inspector.
You quoted here you "can" edit 4K, i can edit 4K too but with a struggle.

I have tried the proxy & better performance.

When you edit 4K do you use transitions, effects & colour grading to an extent.

When i do its a headache due to the freezing & not heing able to playback.

I will have a look at the macbook you mentioned above, thank you.

Yes I do colour grading and transitions.
Ive switched to resolve 16 which is a bit slower than fcp, but still perfectly usable.

Yes I do colour grading and transitions.
Ive switched to resolve 16 which is a bit slower than fcp, but still perfectly usable.
Please see picture of description & let me know if this laptop is good for £1,495 & for my needs.

Thank youScreenshot_20200525-143358_eBay.jpg

Back