Professional Memberships

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon all,

I'm going to be entering the job market in a few months for the first time since leaving school in '96. I knew nothing about the job market then and I don't know a lot more now. Something bandied around when doing my leadership and management courses was membership to professional bodies. I was just wondering if anyone at TP has any experience of them especially with regards to applying for new jobs. Two of the bodies which seem to cover the same sort of thing are the Chartered Management Institute and the Institue of Leadership and Management. Do any of you civvies know if one carries more weight than the other or have any other opinions?

Cheers all,
Kev

To be honest mate, the only professional bodies that actually carry any weight are the engineering ones. Anything to do with Management / HR / Marketing is utter guff which most employers ignore.

What really matters is proven track record problem solving. Get practical examples of both odf those in your head and you're laughing at interview.

Funny you should mention engineering, I was also thinking of joining the Institute of Engineering Technicians. Much cop Jonny?

I aggree with JR, but for the likes of my misses, she is CIPD qualified and I know when going for HR related positions they do look for that first.

The wife is trying to get on a CIPD short course now but they're like rocking horse ****.

I'm sorry to those that have it, but CIPD is the biggest load of utter twaddle in the world!!!! They tried to get me to do that after i'd spent three bloody years doing a sodding HR degree (CIPD passed and surpassed after the 1st 6 months)!!!! The trouble is that the whole of HR is affilated to these shysters and its becoming an old boys network.

I've not heard of the Institute of Engineering Technicians, Kev, but you've got two of the most respected roles mentioned under the same affliation so its got to be worth it :)

Advise the missus to do the Certificate in Personnel and Practice - it's the 1st level of the CIPD and she can then claim (honestly) thats she's studying toward full CIPD status. They wont be to know that she doesn't go near it with a barge-pole after she's got the job :)

Not that i have a strong opinion about CIPD at all.

T*****S

The IET is an amalgamation of the Institute of Electrical Engineers and the Institute of Incorporated Engineers. Think I'll give it a whirl, can't hurt can it.

What do you do JR for a living?

For my many sins, HR! More sepcifically Policy and Reward (formally industrial relations) :D

The IET is an amalgamation of the Institute of Electrical Engineers and the Institute of Incorporated Engineers. Think I'll give it a whirl, can't hurt can it.

I think you mean the Institute of Engineering and Technology. I have been a member since the early nineties (when it was the IEE) and working in small companies I don't think anyone has ever worried whether I was a Chartered Engineer or not.

Andrew

Thanks for putting me right on the title. Do you mean that working in small companies nobody cares whether you're a member of a body or not or do you mean something else?

Thanks for putting me right on the title. Do you mean that working in small companies nobody cares whether you're a member of a body or not or do you mean something else?

Exactly that. Can you do the job? Are you capable of independent thought with respect to problem solving? Will you fit in with the team? Are you presentable in front of customers? My field is software engineering and I have known some pretty good software engineers who don't have engineering degrees let alone professional qualifications. In large companies the HR department will quite likely filter out such applications purely because they don't fit the boiler plate but the interviewers in small companies in my experience are engineers and therefore in a better position able to judge if a candidate can do the job than someone from HR who doesn't know about engineering and hence goes by qualifications.

Of course there are some jobs which require you to be a fully qualified engineer to sign off drawings etc. But then even a chartered engineer who is able to sign off the design of the safety systems of a nuclear reactor isn't allowed to put a new socket in his kitchen.

Andrew

Do you mean all of them? Are you saying that the ICAEW (the one Im a member of) doesnt carry any weight??? :p :p

Outside my sphere Joe. But tell me what it means and I'll tell you what i think :LOL:

to be fair - yours is entry by exam so yep - carries a little weight....... If you WANT to be a bean counter :p

why think when you can click? :D

membership of certain bodies is advantageous :)

being a member of one such body offers me a slightly easier way to emigrate as it's considered proof of being able to do your job.............can't think why they let me in :wacky:

Back