`professional` rant lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
Do people notice that there seem to be an increasing number of people that call themselves `professionals` i know a person who has a `professional` website and has hidious prices for his work, and boasts they are premier in their league and boast of having the very latest DSLR equipment but when i look at his flickr or facebook page the work that i get to see is either very overexposed, underexposed, blurry or something else shocking, like for instance one time i had contacted him about some of his studio pictures that were streched out horizontally, like he didnt keep the correct aspect ratio when re sized, i mean they were REALLY streched out to the point a slim person looked very fat and obese!!!! lol but the best bit was he said he couldn`t see anything wrong with them!??!?!?!

i could understand if this guy was someone learning fair play, as i`m always learning myself but to boast he is professional makes my skin crawl, i sell my prints through an art gallery, i get employed by the papers for my sport photography but still would never call myself a `professional` and to be honest the word itself makes me cringe cos so many people `use` it so easily.

There are loads of other rants i could go on like the guy who has ALL the top range nikon gear and pretty much all the nikon lenses you could list yet all his pictures are straight out the camera in .jpg format, no processing no use of grads in landscape shots etc etc .

Phew just HAD to get that off my chest!:LOL:

Easy Phil, down boy :cool:

One definition of professional:

- describes someone who does a job that people usually do as a hobby

Or someone who makes money. It doesn't mean that they are any good, they don't have to be good in your eyes, only in those who are paying :shrug:

Are you saying that everybody that is a professional has to be perfect, does that extend to every trade and profession?

Surely, if you are selling prints and images to local papers, you are professional whether you like it or not.

And why are you so afraid of this guy, is he direct competition for your business or has he just rubbed you up the wrong way???

My advice is mind your own business and let him get on with it.

Are you saying that everybody that is a professional has to be perfect, does that extend to every trade and profession?

well at least have something to back up the use of the word professional, like professional photographer who has a studio but always majorly overexposes so that the head is blown out! lol

Phil, I had a professional plumber fit my bathroom, full qualifications etc, good job the small claims court exists !!!:dummy:

If he is really that bad he won't last too long.

no competition at all , i just cringe and feel sorry for the poor unsuspecting people that may book him for their wedding lol, its not just him there are loads of people like it

Surely an expensive camera and a massive lens qualifies you as a professional?:LOL::LOL::LOL:

There are loads of other rants i could go on like the guy who has ALL the top range nikon gear and pretty much all the nikon lenses you could list yet all his pictures are straight out the camera in .jpg format, no processing no use of grads in landscape shots etc etc .

I'm struggling to understand this part? :shrug:

Surely anyone who books these people will have seen their work and are happy with it. If not then it's more fool them.

1.Equipment and property only cost money , talent don't come free with them.
and who said you need talent to be a professional.

what an amazingly bitchy thread.. sorry but it shames photographers to slag other photographers off...

If you don't like a professional's work, don't buy it.

Simples.

professional is just a word to say they get paid for doing something.

You get professional athletes but they NEVER come first
You get professional footballers but THEY never win anything
You get professional builders but should not be anywhere near a hard hat.

Just because they have all the gear and a lovely website does not mean they are any good, so does professional really mean anything? I doubt it.

You get professional athletes but they NEVER come first
You get professional footballers but THEY never win anything
You get professional builders but should not be anywhere near a hard hat.

Just because they have all the gear and a lovely website does not mean they are any good, so does professional really mean anything? I doubt it.

that sums it up for me, thats the way it should mean

NO, it's not - it's a lot more than that!
Professionals earn their living from photography - lots of amateurs just play at being professional!

They get paid for doing something while dressed in a clown suit?

^^^^^^^ sorry I don't understand that comment - what am I missing?

Very true! but it also implies a degree of competence, knowledge and skill :thinking:

Amateurs can't have that? The whole concept of people trying to differentiate themselves from others based on the meaning of the word 'professional' is absurd. Can't anyone else see that? It's just a word. Let your work speak for itself and stop letting other peoples work affect your thought process negatively. Are we adults or children?

NO, it's not - it's a lot more than that!
Professionals earn their living from photography - lots of amateurs just play at being professional!

Exactly BUT it does not mean they are any good.

I served my time as a carpenter so that in one sence makes me a professional at my given trade, I get paid for it, and I say I am pretty good at it BUT there are alot of people who serve their time as a carpenter so they too are a professional but cannot knock a nail in to save their life.

Its just a word that you are allowed to put infront of your job tittle because you have done a few exams and got experience, but it does not give you a right to say you are any good.

Spike

Its just a word that you are allowed to put infront of your job tittle because you have done a few exams and got experience, but it does not give you a right to say you are any good.

I agree with the bit about not meaning you are any good but you don't need qualifications to be professional.

Steve.

Thank you, more people can understand what i`m trying to say, did i just word it wrong or what? lol

No you didn't, well I took the point anyway :D

Amateurs can't have that? The whole concept of people trying to differentiate themselves from others based on the meaning of the word 'professional' is absurd. Can't anyone else see that? It's just a word. Let your work speak for itself and stop letting other peoples work affect your thought process negatively. Are we adults or children?

So, would it not be unreasonable for an unsuspecting young couple about to get married to assume that the Pro knows what he's doing for their wedding day :thinking:

Exactly BUT it does not mean they are any good.

I served my time as a carpenter so that in one sence makes me a professional at my given trade, I get paid for it, and I say I am pretty good at it BUT there are alot of people who serve their time as a carpenter so they too are a professional but cannot knock a nail in to save their life.

Spike

No it doesn't! but its easy to say no thanks to a wonky table, than it is to find out after your wedding that the pics are totally naff :thinking:

Well we had a run on wedding threads

Then a run on togs being arrested/harassed by the police

So I suppose it is time for this old chest nut again. :nuts:

:help:

You sould all have id's, laminated with bio stuff in there, a finger or summit.

These threads always end up as nothing but trouble. The truth is that most of the new vogue pros using the word so lightly would disappear like snow before the Sun if they had to go and shoot a wedding with a couple of rolls of film, but the fact is they don't have to anymore - digital has changed the game out of all recognition and the explosion in 'pro' togs is entirely a result of that change.

There's no point in losing any sleep over it, it's the way it is- both he and you will stand or fall in the end by the quality of the goods you produce, and if half of what you say is true then he's no threat anyway.

I don't wholly agree with that. Currently 100% of my income comes from photography. But if I started up another unrelated business tomorrow that made me millions a year, I wouldn't suddenly be an amateur photographer.

Not that it bothers me, I've just got nothing better to do at the moment. :)

This has been done to death on countless occasions and it nearly always ends up as a bitchfest with users getting banned so I'm closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back