Professional sensor cleaning recommendations?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I've acquired a second-hand Canon 7D mkII as an upgrade to my original 7D (I wanted a better sensor but not the bill from replacing lenses as well as the camera body!). Surprisingly for a so-called A-grade camera with a shutter count under 4,000, the sensor had some obvious dust issues. The vast majority came off with a rocket blower (no idea why the previous owner didn't do that), but I'll be shooting in challenging conditions next year when on holiday, so would like to get the sensor wet cleaned before then. Doing it myself isn't an option, so can anyone recommend a professional service in the London/Reading/Swindon area?

So far, I've found Fixation in London, Jessops in Reading (and, presumably, London) and I think T4 in Swindon do it. Can anyone recommend any of these, or anyone else? Reading is my preference (easiest to get to on public transport, but I'll travel further if needed).

Thanks.

Of the three you mentioned, Fixation will probably be the most experienced at doing the work, however it's not so difficult to do it yourself there are plenty of video tutorials on the 'net. :)

Surprisingly for a so-called A-grade camera with a shutter count under 4,000, the sensor had some obvious dust issues.
This is the bit worries me (a bit) a more expensive camera doesn't have a reduced risk of a dusty sensor. Nor, in any real sense, does a low shutter count. Change lenses in a dusty environment and your likely to get a dusty sensor.

Where abouts are you ? I'm in Swindon this week working! Could bring kit down with me...
I do all my own cleaning

Wet or dry with loupe

Last edited:
This is the bit worries me (a bit) a more expensive camera doesn't have a reduced risk of a dusty sensor. Nor, in any real sense, does a low shutter count. Change lenses in a dusty environment and your likely to get a dusty sensor.

I was going to say the same thing!

Hi. Not sure where you are based but if near London Canon have their own facility in Elstree. Just took mine there and same day cleaning was £40. I think they do a one hour service too.

All very efficient as you would expect.
Mike

Back