Review Profoto OCF 2' Silver Soft light (or beauty dish)

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

That was the last piece I wanted to add to my B2
dual head kit (a blast to use!).

It has quite a bite compared to the Profoto 2' silver
octo soft box and is not to be use for every skin type
but I intend to use it a lot in studio and on location
product shootings (like the on location food shoot for
a hotel in early June).

Not as deep as the 2' octo soft box, about half as deep,
it has different full metal braces and a shape to fit the
purpose. It comes with a
removable front diffusor and,
because of the deflector, an inner baffle is not necessary.
Like all my other modifiers of the "box" type, the construc-
tion is very capable to support its own weight.

I did some test and the bite is really significant… with
the silver inside even more than with the white (all my
Profoto modifiers are silver, it is always easier to soften

than to harden a light source..

I also have the rigid reflector version I use with the high
power generator-heads and the D1 blocks because of
the heat generated
by the 500w modelling lamps.

Questions and comments welcomed!

ocf_beauty_dish_silver.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure that it's a useful and effective light modifier - but it isn't a beauty dish, and isn't even remotely like a beauty dish - the shape is wrong and the physics are wrong too.
It's a softbox, sans diffusers and plus a deflector

What do make of the profoto soft boxes Daniel?

I looked at softboxes of all manufacturers at the photography show and came to the conclusion that they're all a much of a muchness. I use elinchrom and love my Rotalux but I can't use grids, unless I pay silly money for the light tools ones.

Want a couple of quality boxes with grids and the profoto do tick most boxes.

Do you mean
— what do I do with the previous 2' silver octo soft box I have or
the previous I will keep since I've got 4 heads that are compatible
— my opinion on the Profoto soft boxes?
The foremost important feature for me is the system.
Profoto has a system that guaranties me compatibility,
quality standards and performance all the way.

Their soft boxes:
may all be used on Elinchrom with their specially design speedrings:
I hope this helps you!

Last edited:
I meant the overall quality really. I like the rotalux but I like to use grids and so thats the limitation. Think I shall buy one and see what I think.

Just remember, Kris, beside the soft box of your
choice that will come with front diffusor and inner
baffle, you should consider a speedring for your
flash and the grid, both sold separately.

any examples? I've recently ordered the white OCF beauty dish (prefer the softer light) looking forward to testing it out with the B1s

any examples?

Not yet Khalid…
I hate to get a new tool and not play with it
but I should finish that job for the museum
this week and then I'll give it a go!

B1? Brilliant, its diode generates no heat!
…that reminds me I should tell my boys not to
use it on the pro heads nor on the D1s.

I meant the overall quality really. I like the rotalux but I like to use grids and so thats the limitation. Think I shall buy one and see what I think.

I don't think you'll have a problem but honestly I'm not seeing much difference between the Profoto RFi softboxes and some other 'lesser' brands, the biggest selling point for me was standardization, if I run into problems I know I can source a replacement diffuser and not have to worry about them having changed the product line parts or the colour temp being a million miles off.

How sturdy are the parts that hold the deflector in place?

Since the octo is Profoto extra sturdy quality (as well as the
braces and the ring) and since it is only a 14 cm light weight
disk***, I
would say the 4 supports are quite strong and would
think the weaker
point could be the plastic hooks when working
in cold condition as it may??? make the hooks material brittle.

So far, I realized that given the wide flat pouch, the disk may
remain mounted when packed away… more practical!

*** I intent to test that white disk reversed and fitted with aluminium
foil attached to it and see
1, if some more power may be rendered available
2, if it will benefit adding to the extra crispiness

if I run into problems I know I can source a replacement diffuser and not have to worry about them having changed the product line parts or the colour temp being a million miles off.

That's the whole idea behind going for a system! :)

Last edited:
I don't think you'll have a problem but honestly I'm not seeing much difference between the Profoto RFi softboxes and some other 'lesser' brands, the biggest selling point for me was standardization, if I run into problems I know I can source a replacement diffuser and not have to worry about them having changed the product line parts or the colour temp being a million miles off.

I have a mix of softboxes and i do think the standard chimera lencarta box is up there in quality with the best, only thing I think that could be improved upon Garry if you're reading, is a nice bag instead of a cardboard box to store them in. I really want a 90x30 strip box which lencarta don't do - I have the large strip box from them with grid. Their folding version is pretty much the same as many others on the market, very similar to the Bessell which I do have a couple and don't think the quality is up to much really. I prefer that sturdier fabric; the mottled, tougher inner reflector material which seems to stitch better. Thats the bit that lets down the Bessell boxes, the crappy stitching, definitely a little light leak from them. The grids are particularly poor too so I want to replace those. I guess you pays your money. The Profoto will no doubt be quality, but double the cost of others with a grid, hmmm...

Good point re. colour temp. I used a new D Lite last weekend which packed up on me mid shoot. Replaced with an older model and when processing there's about 600k difference in temp which I found a little extreme, need to check the tolerance but I thought it were half that quoted. We have the kit at work to actually test the CCT so once I get the faulty one repaired / replaced I might run a few tests if I notice the same again. Straying a little off topic but I felt my other D Lites were quite consistent with each other.

I have a mix of softboxes and i do think the standard chimera lencarta box is up there in quality with the best, only thing I think that could be improved upon Garry if you're reading, is a nice bag instead of a cardboard box to store them in. I really want a 90x30 strip box which lencarta don't do - I have the large strip box from them with grid. Their folding version is pretty much the same as many others on the market, very similar to the Bessell which I do have a couple and don't think the quality is up to much really. I prefer that sturdier fabric; the mottled, tougher inner reflector material which seems to stitch better. Thats the bit that lets down the Bessell boxes, the crappy stitching, definitely a little light leak from them. The grids are particularly poor too so I want to replace those. I guess you pays your money. The Profoto will no doubt be quality, but double the cost of others with a grid, hmmm...

Good point re. colour temp. I used a new D Lite last weekend which packed up on me mid shoot. Replaced with an older model and when processing there's about 600k difference in temp which I found a little extreme, need to check the tolerance but I thought it were half that quoted. We have the kit at work to actually test the CCT so once I get the faulty one repaired / replaced I might run a few tests if I notice the same again. Straying a little off topic but I felt my other D Lites were quite consistent with each other.
Thanks for that - I think:)
My opinion (and testing) shows that the Profold softboxes are in fact much better in terms of light distribution than the non-folding versions, this is due to the deflector, which pushes the central area of the light back and avoids hotspots. I'm not going to comment on the build quality because I'll get moaned at...
Having said that, there is always some room for improvement and we're going to bring out an updated version soon.
Meanwhile, we have overstock of most of the existing designs and so they're currently on sale at half price.

Thanks for that - I think:)
My opinion (and testing) shows that the Profold softboxes are in fact much better in terms of light distribution than the non-folding versions, this is due to the deflector, which pushes the central area of the light back and avoids hotspots. I'm not going to comment on the build quality because I'll get moaned at...
Having said that, there is always some room for improvement and we're going to bring out an updated version soon.
Meanwhile, we have overstock of most of the existing designs and so they're currently on sale at half price.
I don't really want to derail the thread, but can I just ask a quick one Garry. Is there going to be the 70cm Beauty dish MK2 coming out soon as well? Is that why you have it on sale ATM?

I don't really want to derail the thread, but can I just ask a quick one Garry. Is there going to be the 70cm Beauty dish MK2 coming out soon as well? Is that why you have it on sale ATM?
There are going to be a lot of new products, including new beauty dishes, but i cann't go into details, sorry.

I looked at softboxes of all manufacturers at the photography show and came to the conclusion that they're all a much of a muchness. I use elinchrom and love my Rotalux but I can't use grids, unless I pay silly money for the light tools ones.

Want a couple of quality boxes with grids and the profoto do tick most boxes.

the profotos are some of, if not the toughest on the market, only chimeras are more bomb-proof. At first they can be a bit tough to put up, but loosen off quickly. As with all profoto gear the light quality is very good.

I just picked up something similar to see if it will be a lighter option to a proper BD... I haven't tested it yet, but my guess is the answer will be "kind of" (I'm expecting more of a "ring light" type result).

Hi Khalid.

any examples?
Yes, I did some comparative tests this morning…
will post them later
recently ordered the white OCF beauty dish (prefer the softer light)
All my Profoto stuff is silver because it is easier to

soften a light source than to harden it.
looking forward to testing it out with the B1s
This morning's tests were done with the B1.

Back