Progression from D3300

Name
William
Edit My Images
Yes
Greetings all. There are a slew of similar questions around the bazaars, and I’ve read as many as I could find, but they all seem to be fairly specific to the individuals asking - so I hope it’s not too much of a liberty to start my own thread.

I currently own a D3300 and have had it for 5 years now, from 2016, and have really loved using it. I’ve built up a small collection of lenses for it. Ive got:
Nikon 18-55 (kit)
Nikon 55-200(kit)
Tamron 70-300 (non vibration control)
Opteka 500mm mirror
Sigma 120-400mm
So all fairly budget - I managed to pick up the 120-400 2nd hand for a great price.

If I only take one lens out with me it’s usually the Tamron. With it and my phone I can cover most stuff I would like to shoot. Biggest hole is 50mm though.

In order of importance to me, I use my camera for:
Airshows
Walkabout
Sport - (field) hockey and triathlon
Abstract and macro

I have also dabbled in some Astro-photography but was a bit frustrated. I know a crop sensor can only get so much light - but I felt like the D3300 body is missing some functions that would’ve helped, like: mirror lock up. I did manage some reasonable (I think) shots though:
30DC7716-D0AC-4E8A-97E4-6ED5426DB8E2.jpeg
E07E4316-8291-4E84-B27F-85AEBB86DD7C.jpeg

As this is very much a hobby for me I am somewhat nervous of full frame and the respective lens costs. I would like some improved auto focus and quality of life improvements (better control access, mirror lock up etc). I am not wedded to Nikon particularly but I think that replacing my 120-400 is likely to be quite expensive.

From similar posts it looks like a D7XXX series body might be a reasonable upgrade (noting similar sensor performance). From the perspective of future proofing the Z50 looks interesting but I’ve seen some quite negative stuff about it’s low light performance and a bit worried about lens compatibility - but I think I’ve seen suggestions that adaptors might open up other lens mount possibilities (cannon?). Or for Z50 prices would a D500 be a good bet? Outside Nikon I’ve not really looked yet and the choices seem a bit bewildering.

I think just trying to put my own thoughts down “on paper” has been a useful exercise but any other thoughts or suggestions welcomed!

Last edited:
If you are going to stick with the crop sensors which will let you keep most of your lenses, the a D7*** series would give you more functions. But for what you mention if you could stretch to the D500 it would work better still.

I went from the D3100 to the D610 but I wanted better low light performance so I was happy with the move.

If you do stick with crop id be tempted to add a quality prime to your bag to try a faster lens

My feeling is that for improved AF and noise control then you should be looking at the D500 if you plan to stay with Nikon crop.

The Tamron, Opteka and Sigma lenses should be FX, but I couldn't recommend buying a full frame Nikon DSLR for your purposes except perhaps a used D750 (D610 AF isn't impressive - ex D610 owner). If/when you go mirrorless then you'll want to chop in most of your lenses anyway. I agree with Brian about adding a quality prime to your bag, probably a used Sigma ART 35 f1.4 if you can afford it or the Nikon 35 f1.8 if cash is tight.

Looking at the mirrorless specific lenses and there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent of my sigma at the moment - though presumably there will be eventually. And it turns out my sigma is too old for the ftz adapter. So I think that puts me out of mirrorless for the moment.

A D500 would be great but outside what I’m looking to spend, even 2nd hand. If I go 2nd hand D7500 and sell my D3300 I might have budget to spare for a fast 50mm. What are the implications for high usage shutters?

So on that premise I guess I’m looking at D7XXX range or even maybe D5XXX?

I went from d3300 to d610 and loved it. Great for astro. Mirror lockup isn’t that important for astro as for long exposures any slight vibration at the start of the exposure is insignificant compared to the 15-20 second exposure. But yeah, used D7*** would probably suit you well. Feels like a pro body and would let you keep your lens.

So I think I am edging ever closer to a solution. Looking at 2nd hand prices, it seems that I can get D7100s and D7200s for south of £500. D7500s seem to be closer to the £700-800 mark.
Functionally what would a D7500 get me over a D7200?
- Tilting screen doesnt move me much, Im not interested in video, 2 more shots per second would be nice, it is slightly lighter and has better low light performance (on paper, but functionally?)
Is the D7100 worth a look at all? Going for the cheapest body that will do what I want and plow the rest into lenses, type approach.
Does anyone have any recommended reliable sources for refurbished/second hand bodies in the UK?

I've no experience of those particular cameras... but invest in lenses...

Any of the 7 series will give you lots of features. I'd avoid the 5 series.

Lens wise the 85mm 1.8 as is a cracking chap lens used.

MPB, LCE, Park, Wex are all good in my eyes

I've no experience of those particular cameras... but invest in lenses...

Any of the 7 series will give you lots of features. I'd avoid the 5 series.

Lens wise the 85mm 1.8 as is a cracking chap lens used.

MPB, LCE, Park, Wex are all good in my eyes
Pretty sound advice there. I don’t have experience with D7*** but I think the 7500 would be mostly unnecessary for your needs. Better to go with 7200 and get some decent glass. Maybe reassess wha focal lengths you use most and which you never use and streamline your lens selection with fewer, better lenses at focal lengths that you use most. I found when I first started building up lenses I didn’t know what FL I used most. It turned out I hardly ever used the 35mm-70mm range for landscape so I only had 17-35mm and a 70-300mm with an 85mm prime for people. Many people couldn’t do without a standard zoom (24-70/18-55) but it’s just personal preference. You’ve clearly covered all bases with your lens selection which is the natural thing to want to do but with cheap zooms your probably not getting the best image quality.

I loved my d7200 - it’s a spectacular camera and honestly - if you don’t need the af / speed of the d500 - I think it gives it a good run for its money. It’s imo one of the best Nikon DX cameras made, great build quality, super image quality and it’s a joy to use imo.

I think the d7200 is superior to the 7500 for the 2nd card slot, greater lens compatibility and ability to add a battery grip.

Thanks for the comments all. I think I’m narrowing down on a 7200 with perhaps a fast 50 if I can get a good deal. Then some kit rationalisation is required.

Why a fast 50? Did you want a short fast telephoto, which is what a 50 will be on crop.
50mm 1.8 was my first fast prime - I used it on my DX Nikon so it was 75mm equivalent. Shooting with a fast prime for the first time was amazing. Image quality was such a leap from variable aperture zooms. Great for shooting people, casual stuff, details. They’re so cheap they’re a good way into primes. And if you get them used off schmeeBay you can sell them for what you bought them for.

Back