Beginner Progression from speed lights

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I am only just a beginner really when it comes to outdoor flash lighting so am happy using speed lights.

However after watching many outdoor location videos the photographers are seen to be using elinchrom quadras with ranger battery packs for more powerful lighting.

Not that I would be looking to buy anything like this, but could someone explain more about these and the costs?

What would be a decent power output for general outdoor strobist?

And is a general cost around £1500?

Sorry what I meant to say was after using speed lights if one was to progress onto a more powerful lighting what would generally be the next step be?

I am only just a beginner really when it comes to outdoor flash lighting so am happy using speed lights.

However after watching many outdoor location videos the photographers are seen to be using elinchrom quadras with ranger battery packs for more powerful lighting.

Not that I would be looking to buy anything like this, but could someone explain more about these and the costs?

What would be a decent power output for general outdoor strobist?

And is a general cost around £1500?

Elinchrom Quadras and the like (Profoto B1, Godox 360 etc) are powerful battery flashes for location work. Outdoors in daylight, you need much more power because it's very bright and the ambient level sets your baseline.

Sorry what I meant to say was after using speed lights if one was to progress onto a more powerful lighting what would generally be the next step be?

That depends on what you want to do. Outdoors in daylight, as above, but indoor studio portraits are a lot less demanding in terms of kit and very capable mains powered studio heads start at around £100 (plus stands, softboxes etc). Compared to speedlites, they're fast recycling, have modelling lights so you can see what the light is doing, and they have more power if you need it. BTW, it's not about power, good lighting is quality and control :)

I'm assuming that you've already been using flash off camera and with modifiers.

As Richard says, the issue is power, the next step up from speedlights is the Godox AD360 which is widely available under a number of brands, and now available as version II with TTL to match Canon Nikon and shortly Sony.

But if you want to overpower the sun, life gets a bit more complicated, you can start to play at around 400Ws, but realistically 600Ws is more practical.

So the question is now; are you a steady kind of bloke or a bit of a gambler?

The safe least expensive option is the Lencarta Safari2 which comes with a 3 year warranty.

The new kid on the block is the Godox AD600 which like the 360 is available with and without TTL, and with Godox's own mount or the Bowens mount. Again, you're looking to gamble with resellers, you can get a Hong Kong version through Amazon or eBay, or pay a premium for a Pixapro labelled unit from essential photo with a warranty.

The other new kit is the latest Quadra which has some neat high speed tricks, there are others too many to mention. But you're looking at £400 - £2000 depending on your exact requirements.

If I was starting today I'd be seriously considering the new Godox AD600, but it'll depend on what else you have already for integration.

As always, more info about what you have and what you want to achieve will get specific advice.

I am only just a beginner really when it comes to outdoor flash lighting so am happy using speed lights

So for the time being, get one of these http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_S_type_Speedlite_Bracket.html, a compatible softbox and you are set up to begin outdoor lighting. This is a beginning that wont cost you the earth.

For faster recycling, use of larger softboxes and beauty dishes, overpowering the sun and more flexibility then you can move up later to a battery powered system with a greater power.

As with all things photographic, GAS can quickly take over. But until you have used and found the limitations of using speedlights alone (hotspots, slow recycling, an ever present need for more batteries, insufficient power to properly overcome the ambient, HSS etc), then you can happily get a lot of good shots without breaking the bank, especially if its only an occasional use.

Careful choice at the outset will allow the system to build, rather than finding its incompatible and needs ditching and starting again.

So first off decide on the system you intend building towards and the type of mount that will attach your accessories

(S mount / Bowens is a good all round choice although of the big brands Elinchrom have a different mount and are a bit more pricey. They do a fabulous 1100w/s unit, but how often are you going to want to overpower the sun and equally the cost is approaching £2000. Those using them are either sponsored or have a business need for them or are just plain rich)

A careful choice of bayonet mounts will save adaptors being required later on.

Then go out and enjoy! OCF is a whole experience in itself.

Last edited:
Back