Project: 100 Strangers. Can I take your picture?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Great work Joe, I've subscribed to keep up to date with this one :)
How do you approach someone to do this? I'd get shy and pull out a 500mm from a mile away :LOL:

Thanks both for the encouragement :)

Well yes of course it's a little scary at first.. I was super nervous on 1/100!!

My plan of action when planning on getting a shot:-

In the office, get my camera set up, I'm now set on f2.8 / AV mode / ISO100 /Spot metering / One shot focus.

So my camera is ready I no longer have anything else to worry about other than approaching someone (I'll take a random test shot outside and check the histo).

I then walk to town.. confidently (or look confident), knowing that I'm not a weirdo with a camera, I'm just a normal chap who deserves to be there.

I see my stranger, and approach them, I try to ensure they've seen me, and made eye contact (whilst I look confident / friendly / smiley).

''Excuse me, would you mind if I took your photo for a photography project that I'm working on?"

"...erm....ok"

"Don't worry, you won't appear in the sun or anything daft!"

etc etc...

Then I try to make them laugh whilst shooting them.

Job. Done.

I hand them a card with my flickr on and scurry back to the office! (y)

I think round here 6/10 would punch me, 3/10 would steal my gear, and 1/10 would let me, with those sort of hit rates, I'm no too confident in having a go myself, so I'll just follow yours :LOL:

Great idea, something I quite fancy doing myself! Would be good to build the confidence and get you thinking on your feet. Subscribed :)

I think round here 6/10 would punch me, 3/10 would steal my gear, and 1/10 would let me, with those sort of hit rates, I'm no too confident in having a go myself, so I'll just follow yours :LOL:

I do this in Derby and I expected the same!! So far my hit rate is 100%!!

You just know which people are 'reasonable' :)

Not just great photos, but a good judge of character too (y)

Looking forward to seeing this thread develop!

Lol. My sister is on there... Small world eh!

Nice challenge! Some nice captures there - look forward to seeing more. Will you be trying to travel and capture different places from round the uk?

That seems pretty good to get a 100% hit rate as I know that if I see someone trying to approach me in the street I tend to keep walking!

I guess that if I saw someone with a camera I'd probably be curious what they were doing so would probably stop, but the average passer by would not be particularly interested in photography.

That seems pretty good to get a 100% hit rate as I know that if I see someone trying to approach me in the street I tend to keep walking!

I guess that if I saw someone with a camera I'd probably be curious what they were doing so would probably stop, but the average passer by would not be particularly interested in photography.

I always walk with the 5d on show so the person being approached sees that it is ready.. And knows (hopefully) that I want to take a picture.

It's difficult to judge who would say yes...!

No way...!! Which one? Very small world!!

Absolutely.. This at the moment is just to pass my Lunch hour but when I travel, the camera comes with me.

Let's just say that you wouldnt miss her in a dark alley... ;)

Interesting project.
Might see if I can muster the courage to give it a go myself.

Some great shots too.

Subscibed... some great character shots and like a few have said, wouldn't mind doing this myself, it's easy to say in your head yeah i'll do it but when it comes to the actual asking... eek!

great stuff tho, looking forward to seeing more(y)

Good idea for a project and some lovely photos there. Great detail in the eyes and nice DOF

Really nicely, done, also very impressed with the sharpness, although I am used to forums where they basically embed images at about 200x200.

Thanks for the compliments both.!

I got my first 'No' today, or 'I'd rather you didn't TBH'

:LOL:

Oh well.. back out again tomorrow!

oops! although kinda nice to hear, i don't mean that in a bad way.. what do you say, ok no worries smile nicely etc?:D

Don't let it put you off :)

Just out of interest are you taking multiple shots each time or just one shot hit or miss?

Yeah I just smiled and said that's no problem :)

I take about 3 pictures initially then check the screen and grab a couple more.

I'm going to start asking them to pull a silly face to see if that relaxes them a little before I take another shot.

Cool project Joe. I'm doing a similar thing with off camera flash, trying it out under pressure in different environments makes you learn quicker I find!

Back