Project Help required.

riu

Name
steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

i am currently doing a photography course, the module i am doing at the moment is looking at tourism and photography. The assigment is to go into your local town (Wakefield for me) and take three images that could be used in a leaflet, flyer to promote the area.
This is something that is out of my comfort zone, as i normally shoot wildlife.
Anyway, i have had a couple of idea's and would like your thoughts.

I have chosen the Hepworth gallery for starters, in my view it is not a very appealing building, but after yesterdays visit, it seems very popular.

here goes
Slight HDR effect

IMG_8483 by steve/e, on Flickr

View through Sculptures

hepworth through sculpture by steve/e, on Flickr

Think this is my fav

Untitled by steve/e, on Flickr

thanks for the time and your help

Steve

Some tips on your proccessing more than anything.

1 - This is really underexposed and the sky looks far too dark for the light that is evident on the building. You also have some chromatic abberation. The composition is good, but the tree and pole to the left do distract slightly.
2 - A problem with chromatic abberation again here. The area to the left of the building is quite distracting.
3 - My favourite composition and the pick of the bunch, however the sky is 2 completely different colours (left and middle).

I think the main problem you have is the processing here. In my opinion, less is more. With the correct sky, I would pick the 3rd for my leaflet.

(y)
Some tips on your proccessing more than anything.

1 - This is really underexposed and the sky looks far too dark for the light that is evident on the building. You also have some chromatic abberation. The composition is good, but the tree and pole to the left do distract slightly.
2 - A problem with chromatic abberation again here. The area to the left of the building is quite distracting.
3 - My favourite composition and the pick of the bunch, however the sky is 2 completely different colours (left and middle).

I think the main problem you have is the processing here. In my opinion, less is more. With the correct sky, I would pick the 3rd for my leaflet.

Hi Jake

thanks for the advice, processing is something i know little about, but see where you are coming from.
Chromatic abberation is that from using a wide angle lens at it widest?
Not sure whats happened in the last shot, but will go back early morning and reshoot as i think i will use that one for the assignment. Quite addictive this.

regards
Steve (y)

(y)

Hi Jake

thanks for the advice, processing is something i know little about, but see where you are coming from.
Chromatic abberation is that from using a wide angle lens at it widest?
Not sure whats happened in the last shot, but will go back early morning and reshoot as i think i will use that one for the assignment. Quite addictive this.

regards
Steve (y)

Hi Steve,

Have a read of this, it will explain better than I can :LOL: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/digital-photography-tutorial-chromatic-aberration
Do you shoot in RAW? If so you would have much more ease with editing shots :)
Photography is terribly addictive, and if you end up doin a 365 like me, it starts to become your life - not that that's a bad thing :D

Jake

In terms of composition and architectural technicalities, the first image is actually pretty good, the other two OK.

But your post processing is terrible, and I mean really terrible. Sorry.

It looks to me like you underexposed, then tried to push it and then finally put it through some sort of HDR filter? possibly even using pseudo HDR tone mapping?

Both of these a big no-no mistakes. You should be nailing the exposure, which isn't really that difficult if you use a light meter. And even if you take the amateur way out you can still check using the histogram on the camera.

Automatic HDR is also a massive no-no. It never looks good. HDR is often used in architecture, but a quality image is used by manually blending several correctly exposed images, exposed for the different parts of the frame.

Have a look at some of my architectural photography below.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Thanks Paul, will take on board your comments above the use of HDR, and also the metering.

I will revist and try to improve and the original images, and hopefully processing will be minimal

regards
Steve

Back