Project Ideas

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm under the impression that some projects can help improve your skills.

So, I'm after ideas on what I should do. Ideally, to improve my skills before November.

Just a quick bump on this.

I'm considering one of these "100 Day" Challenges before going to America to help improve my camera skills.

We shall be going to NYC, Vegas & Arizona (may fit LA in too).

I would be grateful if someone could help me with a theme based around city photography - maybe with the odd bit of landscape (I never know how to take these to look good). Only downside, I live in Chesterfield - not exactly "city material" but plenty of locations for landscape.

Thanks in advance,

Mat

How about:
1. Grafitti? Make a collection of images of various types of grafitti locally, if you have any. It can be remarkably successful as I based my RPS Fellowship on grafitti close-up abstracts.
2. Buildings? Especially modern buildings look good when details of them are cropped to square format. Very geometrical abstracts is the idea, interacting with the corners and edges of your square crop.
3. Graveyards/cemeteries? At this time of year many of the plants and bushes are out, and some of the older ones can be quite overgrown. Try to capture a "mood" with wider views, crops, and details. Lichens on tombstone inscriptions, sad little floral arrangements, weathered stones, etc etc, all add to the feel of the place.
4. With these and other projects you might try to make a book of the best ones using an on-line publisher like Blurb or Lulu. There is discipline in selecting and editing work to go in these that will improve your photography no end. You can even try a home-made book by printing your work and sewing the sheets together. Even cheaper perhaps, althou small Blurb books aren't too bad.

Thanks spug, much appreciated

Judi, I'll probably join the next one. Really want to try as many different images as possible before November.

How do I join up to one of the TP 52 challenges? I'll start in the new year. Currently seeing people's enteries for this years 52 challenge. Is there like a "master list" posted up saying what the subject is?

I did a phase of "Film Noir" photography. A lot of fun.
Typically gloomy, black and white, seedy, night scenes with mist, dramatic lighting, and dangreous looking people in 40's coats and hats. Great to do with friends too.
I got some great inspiration from the Flikr group "Film Noir Mood".
15508168700_e9952695c6_m.jpg

Hotel du Noir by ianp5a, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back