Prom princess

Name
Wayne
Edit My Images
Yes
Another portrait with the nifty fifty, I love this lens had it for a couple of years collecting dust in my bag now its found renewed favouritism.

carinaprom.jpg

Wayne

I like my nifty fifty too. So I know it isn't the lens. The picture does move me at all - sorry about that.

Its a nice portrait, but her eyes could be much, much wider and brighter, it looks as though she is squinting.

Lovely model though :)

need a bit more contrast I think. A subtle way of doing it is to use the unsharp mask at around 10-20% and 50-60 radius to make it pop.

Thanks for your comments

I like my nifty fifty too. So I know it isn't the lens. The picture does move me at all - sorry about that.
Its a great lens although on the 40D I still have to stand back a fair bit, might start saving for the 35 L.

Its a nice portrait, but her eyes could be much, much wider and brighter, it looks as though she is squinting.
Yeah we were having problems with the sun, we had to find a nice little shaded spot in their garden, but unfortuneatley to get this shot she still had to look up at the bright sky.

need a bit more contrast I think. A subtle way of doing it is to use the unsharp mask at around 10-20% and 50-60 radius to make it pop.
I know not sure what the deal is there, in photoshop the contrast and colour is spot on almost 3D but when I upload to web it lacks the pop that it shows on PS, I've tried changing the colour profiles and whatnot but I just cant get it the same, anyone got any ideas??

I don't agree, I think this is a terrific photo.
me too. love it
Thanks guys

Wayne

Last edited:
I can't see what colour profile you're suing but I find sRGB works best. Try that perhaps?

I never saw the original but this version pops OK for me. The diagonal pose is strong and the sharpness around the face is good however I would consider using a touch of Gaussian blur on her back and shoulders so that the sharp area is the face only.

The "squint" is there but isn't too bad. I bet she will be happy with it.

I have said this before but if you use save to web the metadata is lost. If you wish to retain your metadata within the image use "edit / convert to profile" to convert your image to sRGB for web use.

Consider also writing an action that does this and perhaps converts to 8 bits per channel, adds a bit of smart sharpening and saves a jpeg of a set size.
(y)

Himupnorth
Advice taken I have now made an action to change the colour profile, it seems that when i export from light room it exports it with Adobe RGB, perhaps I need to look at my light room settings.
Just one more question, would I need to change the colour profile if I want to print?

Wayne

Jobe
The colour profile is under the "image settings" header in the export dialog in LR. Once you have a preferred setting save it as a user setting by clicking "add" on the export dialog and giving it a meaningful name.

Note that there are a number of 3rd party plugins which work with the LR Export module including a useful export to flickr plugin.

Print is better working in the native colour space or Abobe RGB 1998. There are other considerations when printing especially having a calibrated colour workflow. This is not a scary as it sounds but ensures you get on paper something very close to what you see on screen.

If sending to a professional printing company the colourspace does not matter too much (unless they say which one to use) as they can usually work it out.
(y)

Last edited:
Back