Prop driven aircraft / helicopters - need practice - where to visit.....

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Guys,

I'm looking at trying to great better at taking prop shots - Where to head close to West London - BTW Heathrow or Northolt Airports don't get many.....

Anyone have any ideas ?

Is denham airport worthwhile checking out?

Last edited:
Any Military Airfields such as Middle Wallop or Boscome Down should see you some action in this area..

Below is one impromptu shot as one of our Lynx landed atop us during a photoshoot i was doing with my friends MX-5!

_MG_0393
by Hedgehogfromhell, on Flickr

I'll assume that they are much busier during the week.... Thanks I'll check some out..

Depends where you want to travel to I believe Southend Airport receives quite a few larger props such as the ATR of Aer Lingus Regional...really any busy GA airport will get you a lot of Cessna and Piper type aircraft what about Biggen Hill? Just looked at that on google earth, and wow the red arrows are either just landing or just taking off for an airshow there :LOL:

& you tell me now....:bang:

oh wait a minute - they are jets..:ty:

If you are willing to travel into London you could try the London city airport in docklands or the London Heliport in Battersea

Denham, used to have a layby at the end of the runway. Busier at weekends.
There's other alternatives, Blackbush being one that springs to mind, as does Popham.

Boscombe Down is OK, but take a good book. It can be as dead as a dead thing, on a very dead day. Other days it goes a bit potty, but there's not much that goes in and out with props. Helicopters are a bit too high in general when using the main runway. Note though it's military, and wars only happen on weekdays, so weekends it's shut. Also be aware of the Official Secrets Act!

Middle Wallop? Busier, but not great for the light. If they are using the Pan behind the museum of Army Aviation, then there's some nice shots to be had. But the main apron is behind a rise in the ground, and unless they depart North, even with a very long lens, it's not great.

You could always try RAF Brize Norton, we usually have 5 or 6 C-130 movements a day along with some Heli's

Taken at 1/60th sec in really dull conditions

Nige

You can always try somewhere like Duxford in Cambs. Especially in the Spring where a lot of the Vintage aircraft are undertaking test flights and practice displays for the airshow season. The classic wings Dragon Rapides and Tigermoths fly throughout the day.

I know it's a trek, but Valley has Fast Jets and helos on station and routinely has visiting UK and international types.

I think Booker may be OK for you. There are helicopter lessons and lots of private aircraft including British Airways flying club.
It's right by the M40 near High Wycombe, so shouldn't be too far for you.
HTH

John

I think Booker may be OK for you. There are helicopter lessons and lots of private aircraft including British Airways flying club.
It's right by the M40 near High Wycombe, so shouldn't be too far for you.
HTH

John
+1 Booker is full of all sorts of stuff and is often busy.

Back