Beginner Proper cameras

Edit My Images
No
Hello, please if anyone can help me with analogue photo camera? I need to make my choice about which one to buy... Thank you!

Last edited:
do you mean a Film Camera as opposed to a Digital Camera??:bat:

Yes. The old ones, with film that you need to put inside the camera.
I'm planning to buy one but I can't decide which one beacuse I'm not sure do they still manufacture that old kind of film for that camera...

They manufacture vanishingly few new film cameras however they're built to last so most hight quality older cameras are still fine.

What do you want to shoot and how much do you want to spend I'm sure we'll help you spend it.

They manufacture vanishingly few new film cameras however they're built to last so most hight quality older cameras are still fine.

What do you want to shoot and how much do you want to spend I'm sure we'll help you spend it.

Well, few minutes ago I think I found out that in my country (beacuse Im not from UK) (MOD EDIT - CROATIA according to IP Geolocation guys) they manufacture 35mm film for old cameras so I visited famous web page "Lomography" where people post photos made by old cameras. When I type the name of some old camera, It shows me all photos which are made by that camera. But I still havent found the right one. I would like to get some "grain and dust" photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, few minutes ago I think I found out that in my country (beacuse Im not from UK) they manufacture 35mm film for old cameras so I visited famous web page "Lomography" where people post photos made by old cameras. When I type the name of some old camera, It shows me all the photos which are made by that camera. But I still havent found the right one. I would like to get some "grain and dust" photos.
I can buy pre-owned "Beirette", "Kodak Instamatic 33 or 50", "FA ZENIT EM" , "Sears M35AF"....

Well, few minutes ago I think I found out that in my country (beacuse Im not from UK) they manufacture 35mm film for old cameras so I visited famous web page "Lomography" where people post photos made by old cameras. When I type the name of some old camera, It shows me all photos which are made by that camera. But I still havent found the right one. I would like to get some "grain and dust" photos.

Plenty of film still being manufactured, Kodak have recently reintroduced a retired line and Illford have been making the good stuff they always have.

The camera is largely irrelvent if you've got a specific look in mind, see if you can get an OM-10 or even a Zenit then start playing with films and processing till you get the look you're after.

Do you want a camera that is fully automatic, or one with more settings you can adjust to get different effects? Do you want it to be small, light and pocketable, or do you mind something a bit larger and heavier? What is your budget? Do you have a favourite digital camera? (there might be something fairly similar that uses film).

Anything that takes 135 or 120 rollfilm and 4x5" to 8x10" sheetfilm in modern DD's should be fine :) and there are lots of great possibilities.
I'd go with a medium format camera (120 film) they are more fun than 24x36 cameras (135 film) , at least to me.

Hi @GrungeJane. If you're inexperienced when it comes to shooting film, then I'd probably suggest either a point & shoot 35mm compact camera with autofocus (e.g. a Canon Sure Shot model or something similar), or a cheap automatic SLR (e.g. a Canon EOS300). Both options will allow good results without having to worry too much about focussing or exposure, and instead concentrate on the photos themselves. A compact is easy to carry around, and an auto SLR will allow more creative experimentation as time passes. Both options are pretty cheap and should produce good results. Then just stick a roll of grainy film in there (Bergger Pancro 400 is pretty grainy for a 400ASA film, or by some expired stuff from eBay and take your chances :)).

If you find you enjoy shooting film, then there are loads of options to upgrade to more capable and complicated options.

I can buy pre-owned "Beirette", "Kodak Instamatic 33 or 50", "FA ZENIT EM" , "Sears M35AF"....
Do NOT buy an Instamatic as you cannot get film for them.

The Zenit is likely to be a good choice - if it works OK when you buy it, it will work OK for a very long time.

(Note: they are not 'analogue' cameras, they are 'proper' cameras!)

Last edited:
Plenty of film still being manufactured, Kodak have recently reintroduced a retired line and Illford have been making the good stuff they always have.

The camera is largely irrelvent if you've got a specific look in mind, see if you can get an OM-10 or even a Zenit then start playing with films and processing till you get the look you're after.

As I have already said , in my country there are not many Kodak's film to buy but there is 35mm which is great too :) I don't want to waste my time ordering film online and etc... okay, I can find some pre-owned Zenit model here. Thank You a lot !

Do you want a camera that is fully automatic, or one with more settings you can adjust to get different effects? Do you want it to be small, light and pocketable, or do you mind something a bit larger and heavier? What is your budget? Do you have a favourite digital camera? (there might be something fairly similar that uses film).

Well it can be fully automatic but if there is chance to have more settings & different effects, why not :)

I want it to be quite small. Just like my budget. I don't have favourite digital camera but I know it should have that "retro" colors. I dont want sharp photos.

Anything that takes 135 or 120 rollfilm and 4x5" to 8x10" sheetfilm in modern DD's should be fine :) and there are lots of great possibilities.
I'd go with a medium format camera (120 film) they are more fun than 24x36 cameras (135 film) , at least to me.

Can you suggest me some 135film cameras? (Here I can buy only that rollfilm)

Do NOT buy an Instamatic as you cannot get film for them.

The Zenit is likely to be a good choice - if it works OK when you buy it, it will work OK for a very long time.

(Note: they are not 'analogue' cameras, they are 'proper' cameras!)

Yeah, I found out that Instamatic is not 135mm. Proper cameras , okay! Thank you

The Beirette should be fine. It is a German camera so I don't know if this is relevant, but with many film cameras there was a foam light seal around where the back of the camera fits. This was mainly with Japanese cameras but not entirely. With age, this foam light seal turns to goo and needs to be replaced (easy to do yourself) so check for sticky stuff around the back before you buy.

Last edited:
Re film
http://www.praxis.hr
As for which
Kodak Tmax 100 and 400 and Tri-X
If ilford/Harman is available
Ilford Delta 100 and 400 FP4+ and HP5+ or XP2

Hi GrungeJane. Whilst the Beirette would probably give good results it won't have a light meter (so you would have to use a separate meter or an app on your phone and then use the settings from the meter on your camera). Also it doesn't have many shutter speeds to choose from, the maximum is 1/125 sec so you will be limited to using slower films. If you can find a Zenit there are a few models that have a built in light meter and they have shutter speeds up to 1/500 sec so you will have the choice of using faster film. You might find the interchangeable lenses useful, the Zenit usually comes with the Helios 44 lens which is meant to be a good lens and should have a vintage look to it. Because it is M42 screw mount there are lots of lenses available from lots of different manufacturers which don't cost much at all.

Doesn't want sharp photos, wants grain and dust photos, probably light leaks and wotnot.
I think that Beirette thing might be just too good.
I'm thinking Diana, Clack, Click, Coronet, Cresta type things meniscus lenses and bakolite, but they're all 120 film and a bit boxy/bulky.
35mm was a bit late to the game in that they were mostly better than the old bakolite 120's.
mebbe its gonna be a 35mm holga, failing that, any cheap compact from the 70's, but you might be unlucky and get a good one by accident....:/

gawd.....I have loads of rubbish cameras...lol

Hi GrungeJane. Whilst the Beirette would probably give good results it won't have a light meter (so you would have to use a separate meter or an app on your phone and then use the settings from the meter on your camera). Also it doesn't have many shutter speeds to choose from, the maximum is 1/125 sec so you will be limited to using slower films. If you can find a Zenit there are a few models that have a built in light meter and they have shutter speeds up to 1/500 sec so you will have the choice of using faster film. You might find the interchangeable lenses useful, the Zenit usually comes with the Helios 44 lens which is meant to be a good lens and should have a vintage look to it. Because it is M42 screw mount there are lots of lenses available from lots of different manufacturers which don't cost much at all.

Okay, thank you a lot :)

Back