Beginner Pros and Cons of Filter type

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Ladies and Gents

I come to you seeking wisdom and advice on a potential purchase.

A few months ago I inherited a couple of 2nd hand lenses as a friend of mine started using Nikon.

Prior to this I only had the 18-55 kit lens for my SLR. During my ownership I have purchased a number of 58mm filters which I like and have proven to give good results, however the two new lenses are not 58mm so the filters do not fit.

So after a little bit of browsing and have come across the Cokin filters.

Now whilst the holders are ugly they do seem to offer some good benefits, such as the ability to stack the filters. But they also offer some not so good benefits such as the need to carry around panes of unprotected glass.

The kits I’m looking at give the ability to purchase adapter rings separately so my thinking is I but one kit and if and when my lens collection changes again a simply purchase a new adaptor as required. These things are not expensive by any means but can anyone offer any real world experience / advice on the pros and cons of Cokin vs Screw on filters?

For example do the Cokin filters let unwanted light in around the edges of the filter holder?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Unless your forking out money for Lee filters, they won't be glass - I've got some of the Cokin P series filters which I recently picked up, and they are resin - or plastic for what of a better description, rather than glass.

I've never used screw on filters, so can't really offer any comparison but for the short amount of time that I've used mine - they seem to do the trick, and I didn't notice any light leak, but I was using a Grad rather than an ND filter so probably not the best test.

You can also get protective pouches for them, so they're not just rattling about in your kit bag.

I was not aware they were not glass, that info helps a lot.

Thanks for the input.

Now whilst the holders are ugly they do seem to offer some good benefits, such as the ability to stack the filters. But they also offer some not so good benefits such as the need to carry around panes of unprotected glass.

Every filter I have came with some sort of protective case, even the Cokin ones, so I'm not sure why you'd be carrying around panes of unprotected glass/resin.

I haven't used my filters for a long time but I don't remember any significant issues with them.

Re the adapter rings, I think I have three or four but I have many more step up rings and the latter are usually dirt cheap so it might be worth getting just one branded ring for the holder and your largest diameter lens and then buying cheap standard step up rings for your other lenses. Unless the Cokin adapters are also dirt cheap but even if they are step up rings can be used for other things not just for coupling the lens to the Cokin (or other) filter holder.

PS.
Just on the holder system v screw on.
I have both and thinking about it I bought the holder system for use with multiple lenses but actually I've used the screw on ones much more and of course what you can do is buy a screw on one for your largest diameter lens and use it on smaller diameter lenses with step up rings. Mostly I've tended to carry two or three screw on filters as they take up less room in my bag/pocket than a filter system.

Last edited:
Back