Protected No Claims Discount - is it worth it?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,
Just wondering what are people's views on taking out protected NCD on their car insurance. Is it worth it? For me, it adds about £100 to my insurance quote of around £500. That's a good 20% more.

Cheers,
Kamion

I don't think they are worth it, for one simple reason. Next year you'll likley change company. They'll ask you if you've had an accident, and if you have they'll take that in to account. What's important is that you have a clean sheet, and you have to declare an accident protected or not. They'll base the quote on that, not on any protection.

I don't think they are worth it, for one simple reason. Next year you'll likley change company. They'll ask you if you've had an accident, and if you have they'll take that in to account. What's important is that you have a clean sheet, and you have to declare an accident protected or not. They'll base the quote on that, not on any protection.

What Sean said , It's only any good if you stay with the same company , However if you intend to stay then it's worth it .

Oh , it should only be about £30 , £100 sounds a bit ifyy...

What Sean said , It's only any good if you stay with the same company , However if you intend to stay then it's worth it .

Oh , it should only be about £30 , £100 sounds a bit ifyy...

You know the idea of staying with the same company had not even crossed my mind, as we've always beaten the renewal quote, at least for domestic car insurance. I pay a large amount for commercial insurance, by christ its painful.

As the lads said, £100 is a joke

Even with protected no claims they still find a way to increase your next premeium anyway. I haven't bothered for years.

I'm probably wrong but don't they indicate the number of no claims discount you have on your renewal form which is what you then use as proof for other insurance companies the number of years "no claims discount" you have.

Otherwise what is the point of insurance companies selling this service?

Finally got a protected NCB quote (£499) that almost matches the best quote I got from direct line (£480) without protected NCB.

Personally, I'd value my protected No Claims Discount...

I currently have full no claims, but last year I was involved in a minor shunt where I hit someone else, even though I would argue that it wasn't necessarily my fault. Unfortunately, rear-enders are cut-and-dried where insurance companies are concerned.

If my NCD hadn't been protected, it would have cost me a lot more in my increased premiums. What's more, the 'protection' is like chances - you get a maximum of two claims against you in a five year period before you lose your protection.

I personally protect my no claims.

kamion, give Churchill a ring, they have a quote beating guarantee on at the moment.

I've been with them for a few years now, and every year they send me a cheeky requote. I just ring round, tell them the cheapest I've found and they always beat it. (y)

it's only worth having if it's free.

I changed my company this year after 2 years with the previous insurer, 160 quid cheaper and free protected NCB (y)

never bothered with it before.

well, mine's a group 17 car and I have some mods on it, the £499 quote I got is with a "mod- friendly" insurer. I doubt I can get any lower than the £480 I got quoted from Direct Line for a non-modified standard car.

Thanks for all your opinions on the protected NCB issue. It's the first time I've got to 4 years NCB so it's the first time I've come up with this choice.

Back