Protective Sprays

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Would you say these 2 items are pretty much the same or different? The PermaSeal says it increases the DMAX (?) and the colour density but the Hahnemuhle doesn't mention it?

Any suggestions?!

And what's the DMAX?!!

Want to spray my prints for protection for when I sell them as a selling point! Part of my new premium print option ;)

Spray 1

Spray 2

Thank you in advance :D

DMAX is the colour density and relates to paper.

On (for example) matt papers, the DMAX can be poor and blacks don't look as black as when you print the same image on lustre or glossy paper. It's also affected by ink and printer but the most obvious way to explain it is to print the same image on glossy paper, then print it on your cheap A4 copy paper you use for sending letters. The "depth" of colour on the glossy paper will be apparent and significantly "better" than on the cheap paper. This is (what I understand) DMAX to be.

I'm guessing the spray will add gloss and this will deepen the perceived blacks in the image. Perhaps the Hahnemuhle spray doesn't add a gloss?

Some images suit really deep blacks, and some don't. For me, paper choice depending on the image is a key factor. If I want a soft, subdued image, I print on matt or almost-matt silk/lustre papers, but if I want depth, contrast and "boom" to my images I go glossy or heavy-silk/lustre. I'd use the Hahnemuhle spray to just protect the image and retain softness to the colours vs the Permajet "everything must be contrasty" spray (which probably just adds glossy sheen)

Last edited:
I'm currently printing on heavyweight lustre paper and everything I print is either framed behind glass or cardboard mounted and cello bagged as a completed kit so I don't want the print sticking to glass like a gloss print would do so I'll probably only print on lustre paper.

So the Hahnemuhle spray it is then (y)

I tried a few and it was horrible experience all over, let alone it is toxic and pollutes atmosphere (same as hairspray!)
The I tried permajet varnishes. A bit better but still horrible. Smelly and attracts bugs.
Accidentally I tried the premium acrylics UV varnish from the range and it is the best so far. Finally no more nasty smell and it dries faster and so far looks ok one month on. (But it was no good for car vinyl - don't ask!)

That's all for matte canvas. Alternatively, there are premium semi / gloss versions that don't need varnishing. Papersrs just have to go behind glass and you most certainly don't want to spray or smudge anything over it.

Want to spray my prints for protection for when I sell them as a selling point! Part of my new premium print option ;)

Please don't. Let customers and their framers decide if they want to potentially wreck it

Back