PS Elements Advice - Project to get started

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I recently downloaded a trial version of elements and decided this image might be a good one to fix to try and get started with PSE:

It's a stitch using autostitch, the main problem is the sky goes light-dark-light-dark etc because I didn't lock the exposure before taking the sequence.

I *think* the way to sort this out is something to do with layers - apply an adjustment layer. But that's about it. I've had a play but can't get there. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't want you to fix it. Just give me a rough idea of the steps to take.

Many thanks in advance

Mark F

It's a while since I used Elements but I think the clone tool is the one you need there, you make an adjustment layer and use the clone tool with with a large feathered edge and maybe 90-95% transparency to gently smooth out the variations in the sky.

Hi Mark,

I only really have experience with Photoshop, not Elements - so not sure if these features are available... you could use the clone tool, as suggested, but this is what I'd do in PS:

Create a Levels Adjustment Layer above your background image. Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Levels -> OK

Then drag the white point slider, left to about 210. Apply it and this should lighten up the whole image.

The adjustment layer's mask should already be selected to work on. Using a flood fill (G), colour black, just fill the whole picture (i.e. removing the effect of the adjustment for the time being).

Then take a soft brush (B), 100px or so, Opacity 20%ish, and paint with white, back on to the mask, in the darker patches of sky. This should softly apply the level adjustment, lightening them up and make the sky a consistent shade of lt.blue.

Cheers,
Joe

Back