Ps3 yellow light anyone successfully fixed?

Edit My Images
Yes
My old 40gb ps3 switched itself of this afternoon and now won't turn back on and has the dreaded yellow light of death :( I've been googling for a while and wondered if anybody on here has ever successfully repaired/ had one repaired?

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

I've been thinking about a PS3 that would allow me to play PS2 games as well as PS3 but was advised against it since when they die (not if, when!), they're now unrepairable. That may have been an attempt to persuade me to buy a brand new one that won't play PS2 games but may be the truth.

Just had quick look, there are plenty of PS3 repairers around the uk that do the yellow ring of death. Iown a x-box and they get a similar fault the red ring of death and all they do is take it apart and run a hot air gun over it. the cause is the joints break on the board & when they run the gun over them it resolders them

You are referring to reflowing essentially, and although it works the problem will be that it is simply reusing the old brittle solder and the fault will happen again, sooner rather than later. You could get a full reball done, but to get it done right would require all of the old solder removed and replaced, an expensive operation! Unless you need the PS2 functionality, just pickup a slim (not super-slim as I hate them lol) for relatively cheap.

Back