PS4 v PS4 pro

Name
Edit My Images
No
Is it worth getting a pro version if you don't have a 4k TV?

If the difference in price is not a big deal for you then get the pro.

The Pro in certain games can offer benefits such as high FPS etc plus if you get a 4K TV then you have a capable console. The PS5 will not be out until end of next year so it's not going to be out of date for a while.

I have a ps4 pro and it only upscales to 4k for 99% of games, certainly not may native 4k games but its generally quicker than the standard PS4 and with the ps5 on the horizon; due for a price drop shortly.

One of the major advantages of the Pro over the regular PS4 is the 1Tb hard drive as opposed to the 500Gb. I know it can vary depending on what games you buy, but I could only get 4 games installed on my 500Gb drive, meaning when I bought a 5th I had to remove one of the others. You can upgrade the hard drive on either internally without affecting warranty, but that adds cost. Another advantage of the Pro is that it has USB connections on the rear of the console, meaning you can add an external hard drive without it being visible.

Pro because wont you get a 4K tv next time. They can fail all of a sudden, my last 2 TV`s failed and were right offs

The Pro offers more detail for some titles, such as further draw distance, increased foliage and such, 4k is only part of the story.

As a PS4 owner, to me it's not worth the upgrade whilst my existing one is fine, however if my PS4 failed I'd buy a Pro.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a great example of a game that showcases the PS4 Pro's benefits

View: https://youtu.be/YDX-chxRLKE

Pro is great for VR, and runs much smoother and faster than a standard console, but for most normal games it's such a minor improvement, it's barely worth it. Certainly if you don't have a 4k TV yet. Xbox 1 vs xbox 1 X is night and day, PlayStation ... Not so much.

I genuinely believe its not a hardware issue, but a bottle cap put on by Sony to not make their normal ps look Inferior before the end of its life cycle, and prevent developers targeting their games for the pro level hardware and leaving the other 90 something million older consoles lagging behind.

In hardware a terms a PS4 Pro has a gpu roughly equivalent to an amd 470. Woefully inadequate for even 2k but manages 4K with sufficient ‘nerfing’ and optimisation.

The bog standard PS4 has a gpu somewhere close to an Nvidia 750ti, woefully inadequate for even 1080p.

Back