Psalm 23 - Or... Haunted by Rembrandt

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Just a quick throw-together this time - decided to pass half a hour or so having a look at how some of my prop-faffing would work out on screen.

Psalm 23
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Someone mentioned in one crit. thread I had going, that it was strange that the Candle had burned away to a stump, yet there was no "run off" from the melting wax... So, that had to be worked on a little...

The problem with this particular design of Candlestick (iirc they're called Heemskerk Candlesticks) is that they tend to have quite a deep "bowl" around the candle and also feature a "drip pan" to keep any run-off away from the stick itself, and to save the furnishings they're sat on. Another interesting thing is that the modern candles I had seem to be made from a mixture that pretty much just burns away rather than melting and dribbling. So, it had to be a case of deliberately melting and dripping the coloured "shell" wax from a few offcuts until I'd filled the bowl and contrived a reasonably convincing (I think) "dribble"

Other crit. I received on a image wanted the lettering to be clear enough to read - well - that's a bit tough when re-sized for display on the forum, but certainly on this one, at full-size, I think I've just about got it...

Psalm 23 (100% crop)

Once again, it's a single light shot, 60x90 softbox to RHS of frame, maybe 4 feet set back from the centre of the arrangement. No fancy "faux window" gobo's or anything like that this time - it was pretty much just a test-shot for the candlestick TBH - and looking at the "closeup" of the reflections in the hourglass, I think I need to work on a few things...

Psalm 23

PP was pretty minimal - slight keystone correction from shooting elevated high enough to get the lettering more visible, then a high-pass sharpening layer, and finally crop to Square Format. I'm working on getting as much as possible "in camera" so that I can actually bang off a couple of attempts on Slide film at some point.

Also looking at the reflections in the hourglass, I'm sorely tempted to do a "selfie" dressed in something "period correct" and standing behind an easel, then get a poster size print of it done, and put it in front of the camera with just enough light on it to reflect in the Hourglass...

Last edited:
ok, I get the hint, everyone's bored daft with still life shots. I'll get my coat.

Well umm, no I'm not bored with these at all. As for crit, I'll do my best ... the highlight in the hourglass looks like a softbox (sorry) - and maybe the bright area underneath it could be flagged off. Otherwise I like this, the processing is good albeit a tad dark, though I suspect that is by design. I am talking a tad too btw. And I just wonder if the good book could be at more of an angle perhaps? ...

Highlights are well iffy... i'd only got the softbox that morning, and hadn't had time to build a "windowframe gobo" for it... last shots were with a square softbox which worked ok-ish, but I wasn't 100% with the actual overall shape, hence buying the rectangular...

I'm really struggling with the whole bible thing, can't think of a pretext to actually have it propped up on something to raise the angle... This time I tried shooting from a higher viewpoint, but it still wasn't quite enough :(

It is intentionally rather dark, i'm trying to get as much of a "old master" kind of feel as I can "in camera" because the digital stuff is really just prototyping for a proper shot on film at some point, when I can borrow/hire a 5x4" for a while...

When I said angle I wasn't meaning propped up. I meant it angle on the desk, perhaps rotated through approximately 45 degrees anti-clockwise? I know there was crit suggesting the text be readable, my question would be why? If you go much higher with the camera I think it would look a little naff in as much it would lose context for me.

The only other thought would be to prop the bible against the other books with the spectacles just in front, though again I suspect you already tried that.

I've looked at this full screen on flickr and can make out the detail so maybe it my previous comment about being a tad dark isn't as valid.

Just a thought, if you are intending to shoot this on a 5x4 wouldn't a 5:4 ratio crop be better? (I don't know much about 5x4 cameras)

ah, I get you - rotated rather than lifted/angled... gotcha..

as to the crop... well - it's highly unlikely I'd actually shoot this very composition on the 5x4, as I said it was more of a props test, but I couldn't resist actually making an attempt at a half-reasonable composition to share, rather than just walloping the candlestick on the table and seeing how it came out - plus adding some "reflectives" let me see if the outline shape of the highlights was improved...

I can't help it, It's the engineer in me - I tend to "prototype" things section by section, before getting to a final assembly... :LOL:

Back