Pub photography

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello. Hope I can get some constructive help. I have been asked to shoot a friend's 50th in a pub at 19:30...never done that sort of photography before..I have a Nikon D7100, a Nikon Sb600 flash. And a 14-24 Sigma lens. Thanks

Bit of an open question................help with what?

Finding the pub? Flash usage? camera settings? You'll need to narrow it down a bit.

:)

Well you have a camera, a lens and a flashgun - so you should be able to get something :) Don't forget the memory card.

Keep the ISO up ! And have a couple of double whiskies.

Sorry. Yes. Settings and techniques... Been reading and it all seems very conflicting

Hi

I am no expert but this is what I have used:
Set the ISO between 400-800, flash in TTL, camera in Aperture mode at say 5.6, ensure the shutter speed is at least 1/80 and bounce the flash off the ceiling if it is white or a white wall.
Also ensure you shoot in RAW if you don't.

I am sure the experts will give a bit more info.

Thanks

Hi

I am no expert but this is what I have used:
Set the ISO between 400-800, flash in TTL, camera in Aperture mode at say 5.6, ensure the shutter speed is at least 1/80 and bounce the flash off the ceiling if it is white or a white wall.
Also ensure you shoot in RAW if you don't.

I am sure the experts will give a bit more info.

Thanks
I would do the same as Kev also the same (no expert) only I tend to put the camera in manual still start off with f5.6 and 1/80 as Kev says :) Manual just ensures shutter don't drop. I don't notice usually until at some point you press the shutter and it stays open for yonks :-(

Gaz

I used to shoot in pubs ! I used to shoot at about 1/80 second with auto ISO maxed at 1600 with flash bounced at ceiling! You get lighter background and lights and surrounds ...... instead of black background and 2 people with beer in hand in shot!

Last edited:
I was always under the impression that the flash TTL function would be lost if the head was angled up and light bounced from the cieling. I've always used the flash in manual and adjusted the power output to suit - I'll give it a go in TTL

I was always under the impression that the flash TTL function would be lost if the head was angled up and light bounced from the cieling. I've always used the flash in manual and adjusted the power output to suit - I'll give it a go in TTL

Manual is the best if you can get it right, but if the lighting keeps changing and you don't have time to adjust I think TTL does the job and as long as you are shooting RAW you can pull back the exposure.

That's precisely what TTL is good for. Bounce the flash off a ceiling or a wall at a subject 5 or 15 feet away, the flash just works.
Used straight on at a fixed distance manual is simple and no need for TTL.

That's precisely what TTL is good for. Bounce the flash off a ceiling or a wall at a subject 5 or 15 feet away, the flash just works.
Used straight on at a fixed distance manual is simple and no need for TTL.
Definitely bounce the flash in TTL. Your flash is unlikely to offer the same coverage as your lens at it's widest if you don't.

Thank you both. I'll certainly give this a try

Back