Published on line

Edit My Images
No
Well, the Guardian have used some of my shots from their Flickr group to illustrate their article on nesting herons which has made me a happy bunny.:banana:
I would have been a tad more chuffed if they'd mailed me through Flickr just to let me know.......
Fortunately I'm the sort of softie leftie who reads the Grauniad on line so it's ok!

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...grets-in-the-uk-your-green-shoots-photographs

Anyone else had them use your shots without telling you?
I know that membership of their Flickr group gives them permission to use, no problem with that but a quick email would be nice.

cheers, cw

There not doing it to make friends.. if your giving them pictures for nowt then they are happy to take them for nowt... why waste there time telling you.... good manners? newspaper? never happen :)

If they've not asked you, then they're in breach of the Flickr terms and conditions - because even if you've left your image as CC they shouldn't download and re-host. Flickr requires anyone using the image to use the hosted image on Flickr with a click-thru. The link they have provided is a bad link - so you're not even going to get any extra views from this, and it's not easy for anyone that wanted to use you image to contact you via the dud link the Guardian has put against your name.

Give them a nudge to correct things.

Hi Michelle.

No it's the Green Shoots Group http://www.flickr.com/groups/guardiangreenshoots/discuss/72157642297032704/
By posting you are indeed giving permission, and in fact hoping that they'll use the shot.
However I contacted all of the contributors to the article in question and none of them had even realised that their shots had been used.
My point is that it would be useful to receive a Flickr mail just so that you are aware that your work has been picked up.
Also it would appear that the Guardian have not followed Flickr community guidelines by not publishing the shots in a way that allows a link straight back to your photostream.
That possible added traffic is the main reason for posting to this group - and none of the other guys I have contacted are particularly chuffed!

I'll update when hopefully we get a response from the Guardian.

cheers, cw

Back