Puffins At Skomer - Advice Please

I really don't think any of these assurances are helping are they Lindsay? Rational comments about how safe it is really don't cut the mustard, I can see that from your description of being in a car on a bridge. Please don't think I'm being rude but have you described your fear to a doctor? There are techniques to help people overcome serious phobias, it seems to me as though this is seriously hampering your ability to enjoy life to the full; tell a professional. I look forward to joining your first guided trip, after you've driven yourself across the Severn Bridge of course!

Yes, it can be a problem at times Roger. And you're right that no amount of rational commentary makes a difference :(.

I wouldn't consider describing anything emotional to a normal doctor (GP) but you've made a very good point about the value of professional phobia advisers. I know they exist because I saw a TV program on this very subject last year. In brief, there was a collection of people who had phobias about heights and they were treated with various strategies, to the point where they could stand on the tallest building in Dubai at the end of the show. Just watching this caused me to sweat and feel dizzy and uncomfortable - and I actually questioned the severity of these phobias from the outset because some of these people were able to get into lifts and be transported up mountainsides - that led me to believe that I am definitely at the extreme end of the scale.

Having now been to both islands, I wrote a blog post on my thoughts on how the two islands compare. (Tl,dr: first timers should opt for Skomer, but Skokholm has it's strengths over Skomer.) I'd be interested if any veterans of both islands disagree with my assessment...
Paul,

I was looking to be able to leave a comment on your blog but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing it?

I largely agree with your conclusions on the two islands. I've got some nice pics of puffins and razorbills (especially) on Skokholm but it is true that both species are probably more easily accessible on Skomer. However I would add that Skokholm is a much more colourful island than Skomer on account of the red sandstone rocks that it consists of. For the landscape photographer this would be especially important or those who to set their birds within the landscape. I would also add that there is a wider network of footpaths on Skokholm which means that more of the island is accessible. Skomer seems quite restricted in this sense.

I wouldn't underestimate the difference that the lack of day visitors makes on Skokholm, it seems a more restful experience.

In my opinion Skokholm is "the connoisseur's choice". Skomer is great for a day visit.

jerry

Last edited:
Paul,

I was looking to be able to leave a comment on your blog but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing it?

I largely agree with your conclusions on the two islands. I've got some nice pics of puffins and razorbills (especially) on Skokholm but it is true that both species are probably more easily accessible on Skomer. However I would add that Skokholm is a much more colourful island than Skomer on account of the red sandstone rocks that it consists of. For the landscape photographer this would be especially important or those who to set their birds within the landscape. I would also add that there is a wider network of footpaths on Skokholm which means that more of the island is accessible. Skomer seems quite restricted in this sense.

I wouldn't underestimate the difference that the lack of day visitors makes on Skokholm, it seems a more restful experience.

In my opinion Skokholm is "the connoisseur's choice". Skomer is great for a day visit.

jerry

oops......

Back