Puffins At Skomer - Advice Please

Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone. I'm hoping there might be somebody on the forum who has photographed Puffins at Skomer island.

The reason for my post is that I've been asked if I will run a photography workshop photographing these little creatures. I love the idea of this, but I have some concerns and I would really value some honest input. The problem is that I am utterly petrified of heights and I am aware that Puffins live in burrows on cliffs (OMG). So my first question would be about how close to the edge one might realistically need to be to gain appropriate good quality photographs (assuming access to a lens with, say, a 300 mm field of view) and how high the cliffs typically are at Skomer. So I am asking if what I have described would be feasible for someone like me - do you think I would be far enough away from the edge not to throw a fit. I have looked around the Internet but it's hard to ascertain these things so I would ideally like the opinions of people who have been there and done it.

On the way to Skomer from Sussex would I have to drive over any bridges (I know from bitter experience that they don't always show up on maps). It would be good knowing, so I can choose an alternative route.

I know I sound a complete wimp.

Comments/advice about Puffins/Skomer will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Lindsay, I haven't landed on Skomer but have passed the landing point on the way to Skokholm Island
The path (steps) up from the boat up the cliff onto the Island is quite steep and I guess that if like me you don't like hights it may be a bit worrying
Hopefully someone on here can advise about the puffins on Skomer but on Skokholm the puffins can be seen in areas not too near to the cliff
Apparently Skomer is the best place of the two islands to photograph as you can get close to them on Skomer as they are tame
They are both small islands surrounded by cliffs though

Thank you LCPete - that's exactly the kind of information which is helpful. The organisation who have asked me to do the workshop have reassured me that we would not be photographing anywhere near the edge, however when you mentioned steps up the side of the cliff I did start to sweat! I can't even climb a ladder into my loft. I had overlooked the process of getting there - landing strips .... boats .... eeek.

I would really advise against Skomer if you don't like cliffs, Lindsay - my husband can't go for that very reason. The landing point is stone steps up the face of a pretty tall cliff, and if you happen to arrive at low tide there are a lot of steep steps with no handrail below the high tide mark. The path round The Wick where most of the puffins are goes perhaps 10 feet from the edge at the closest point, but it is a very high cliff (imagine a long narrow cleft one looks across) so one is very aware of it.

I have photographed puffins on Skomer, Lunga and the Isle of May, and for someone who doesn't like heights I would strongly recommend Lunga of the three - a gentle grassy slope for the climb and further from the cliff edge than the other two.

I've run a few TP meets to both Skolkholm and Skomer and can assure you that you have nothing to worry about. You can stay well back from the edges (and a lot are just slopes) and use a 50mm lens, they will come to you. I have seen them climb over a photographers legs to get where they want to go.

Last edited:
Sue - thank you so much for your comments, I will have nightmares when I go to bed tonight :LOL:

Thank you for the alternative recommendations - they sound much better for someone like me! Hopefully they might be suitable for a workshop, but then again I would guess that delegates might prefer the drama of Skomer. I'll have to give that some thought

Andy - it sounds like I might be okay photographing the Puffins once on the cliff from a far enough distance, but it seems the main issue will be getting up onto the cliff (and down again), I suspect I would find that to be the real problem. I had an awful experience when I was a child, involving both water and steps, and I think that is where my fear of heights has arisen from - for no apparent reason the problem got worse as I got older and has extended to certain types of bridges.

Last edited:
The third photo down shows the landing spot from the island:

http://brianraffertywildlifephotographer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/skomer-islandpuffins.html

And the bottom photo here the view of it from the sea:

http://www.welshwildlife.org/access-to-skomer-island/

And photo 40 here shows the path at The Wick:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Locati...omer_Island_Pembrokeshire_Wales.html#87389605

Oh blo*dy hell. 'The Wick' is doing my head in - one slip of the foot and you're over the edge (or I would be, because I'm quite clumsy) :crying::arghh:

There is more of a grassy slope than apparent in that photo, but if you don't like the photo you certainly wouldn't like the place itself. Have a look at Lunga - much less cliffy if that is a word, and you have all the other wildlife of Mull at hand too.

I briefly spoke to another photographer a few weeks ago and he said that there is an island in the middle of the Bristol Channel where there are plenty of Puffins - and no cliffs whatsoever. Does anyone know what place he might have been referring to?

I run around 20 1-2-1 workshops on Skomer every year and know the island very well. It's a pretty flat island once you're on it, and only a few paths on it so you can always get to where you want to go. At the Wick is the main Puffin colony area and you're always around 20 feet at least from the very edge (you can't go to the edge due to rope marking off the burrows)

However, the path from the Neck to High Cliff isn't roped off and if you don't like heights then yeh, could be a problem. Also on exiting the boat, from the front you have a lot of steps to trudge up which go straight up. There's a few bits, but to be honest I'd say you'd be fine as long as you pick your routes. Also, getting on the boat at Martins Haven you walk down a kind of gang plank on to the boat over the water.

Have got lots of pics of the place as well as birds, feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions

cheers,
drew

Last edited:
Thank you Drew - that's very helpful. 20 feet is definitely not far enough for me from an edge - any edge. I have problems driving along the coast road heading west out of Eastbourne because it's high up and I can see the cliffs about a fifth of a mile away - ugh. I suspect I am not a candidate for Skomer. And prior to this thread I didn't know about the steepness of the steps - probably not good for someone who has had knee surgery, particularly on the way down. I'll definitely have a look at your photos - in the vain hope they will offer a form of 'desensitisation therapy' (but will probably have the opposite effect) :wideyed:

Sue - thank you so much for your comments, I will have nightmares when I go to bed tonight :LOL:

Thank you for the alternative recommendations - they sound much better for someone like me! Hopefully they might be suitable for a workshop, but then again I would guess that delegates might prefer the drama of Skomer. I'll have to give that some thought

Andy - it sounds like I might be okay photographing the Puffins once on the cliff from a far enough distance, but it seems the main issue will be getting up onto the cliff (and down again), I suspect I would find that to be the real problem. I had an awful experience when I was a child, involving both water and steps, and I think that is where my fear of heights has arisen from - for no apparent reason the problem got worse as I got older and has extended to certain types of bridges.

Honest it isn't all that bad, if you think about it there are hundreds/thousands of families visiting the island every year with young children including push chairs etc. That wouldn't happen in these days of elf and safety if there was a risk. If you stick to the paths which you should do anyway so as not to collapse the burrows you will be fine. You will be at least 10 yds back from the edges most of the time when taking pictures and the steps up are more arduous than frightening.

I must sound horribly negative compared to Andy, and I really don't want to, I am just trying to be give a fair picture for someone who doesn't like height. I don't mind them myself but my husband does, so I have a good idea of what is acceptable and what isn't, and there is no way he would cope with either the landing steps or The Wick. From what you have said, Lindsay, it sounds as if you are more badly affected than he is, so I really would advise against it. Don't forget, discretion is the better part of valour! :)

As may have been said earlier, the most accessible colony at the Wick is a fair distance from the cliff edge.

I think you would have real problems getting on to the boat at Martin's Haven, though, and particularly getting down to /up from the boat at Skomer. The track runs very close to the edge in places and ends/begins with a very steep zig-zag set of steps. Although there is a fence it is a vertical drop down to the water. I'm only being realistic. I don't suffer from a fear of heights myself but I know people who do.

The island in the Bristol Channel you refer to is Lundy. I went there many years ago but I don't remember much about it. The problem with puffins is that they do nest on the tops of cliffs on islands which by their nature are difficult to access.

Hi Lindsay
This is the steps to the landing on and off Skomer, as you can see they are safe but a bit steep. I dont think you would have a problem once you are there, as Drew said its quite flat.
I do agree with Andy it honestly isn't that bad.
You also asked about road bridges, and you would have to cross the Severn Bridge or drive around.

I briefly spoke to another photographer a few weeks ago and he said that there is an island in the middle of the Bristol Channel where there are plenty of Puffins - and no cliffs whatsoever. Does anyone know what place he might have been referring to?

Sounds like you mean Lundy Island although the OS map shows that the island has contour lines that are pretty close together...

honestly,, just go. Check out Andy Davis (on this forum also) http://www.andydavies.info/pages/workshops/skomer.html
for photography workshops, plus he will get you on the island without queuing.

Plus he is a great teacher, knows the island well and gets you some great shots. as said they come to you and you get nowhere close to the edge. I think most of the time I shot with my 70-200, qas puffins were running around my feet

100mm
135264267.jpg

135264292.jpg

full set
http://www.pbase.com/byker28i/skomer&page=all

I must sound horribly negative compared to Andy, and I really don't want to, I am just trying to be give a fair picture for someone who doesn't like height. I don't mind them myself but my husband does, so I have a good idea of what is acceptable and what isn't, and there is no way he would cope with either the landing steps or The Wick. From what you have said, Lindsay, it sounds as if you are more badly affected than he is, so I really would advise against it. Don't forget, discretion is the better part of valour! :)

I think you may be right Sue - it would be horribly embarrassing if I got there and froze after about three steps, and knowing me that might just happen!

Hi Lindsay
This is the steps to the landing on and off Skomer, as you can see they are safe but a bit steep. I dont think you would have a problem once you are there, as Drew said its quite flat.
I do agree with Andy it honestly isn't that bad.
You also asked about road bridges, and you would have to cross the Severn Bridge or drive around.

The Severn Bridge ..... I knew there would be something like that along the way :crying:

I think I might have to err on the safe side and pass on this one.

To give an example, I was driving to Hammersmith a couple of years ago and just as I was getting into the borough I suddenly encountered a strange road bridge which some of you might know. Basically it's a rickety old iron thing, singletrack with very low sides, and goes up about 40 feet. I got partway up and had a total panic attack - I stopped the car and froze, then I jumped out, leaving my companion to drive onward because there was a load of traffic behind us hooting their horns. I was left on the bridge, in January, with no coat or handbag. Suddenly all of the traffic disappeared and within moments I was being bundled into a police car - it turns out the poor police officers thought I was about to jump! Within moments of getting back down to sea level I was back to normal, other than embarrassment and gratitude towards the police, who were very understanding. This is the problem when you have a fear of heights - it totally takes over and you can't control it. I suspect I will never get to see the Puffins :(

I cannot comment about Skomer, Jan but I hope I can help with more general information about puffins.

Puffin burrows are always on or very close to the top of cliffs, so getting very close to the edge and below it, as you would need to if you were after guillemots, is not a problem.

From what I have read and from my only experience of puffins, they are largely unbothered by humans and a relatively close approach is possible. This sounds as if it could be scary but it does mean they are unlikely to scamper/ fly a few feet closer to edge.

This shot was taken at Sumburgh Head in Shetland with a 200mm lens (it is a bit cropped, but not much). For this I rested on the a wall but I think in many puffin colonies you should be able to get fairly close.

I suggest contacting Skomer and talking it through with them.

All the best for this - it sounds like a great opportunity.

Dave

Hi Lindsay, I understand your fear and don't like heights either, but I really wouldn't worry about visiting Skomer, I used to work there during the 80's and that was before any of the handrails were fitted.
I've not been on the Island for many years, only around it, and that's another option for yourself, the ferry does a round trip at 1pm every day except, Saturday and Monday, when they cover the other islands,
But there's nothing more wonderful than landing for a stroll around the safe paths.

nah, they run past your feet. Honestly it's not an issue, I took my youngest as a day out. At the Wick you're a long way from the edge and the puffins land and run past you. At one point I was lying down and using a 50mm lens and it was too long!

This is the path so you can see how far from the edge you are. The puffins land and run past you
135264283.jpg

The path up is no issue, you have a large landing area and steps or wide path up.

go on - do it. drop andy an email, tell him about your height issues and he'll sort it for you. We went the once with him and only because I had my young son with me, but couldn't have been in better hands. he'll tell you best time to go etc.

go on - do it. drop andy an email, tell him about your height issues and he'll sort it for you. We went the once with him and only because I had my young son with me, but couldn't have been in better hands. he'll tell you best time to go etc.

It would certainly make sense to go through the process in safe hands before committing to being course leader - I might just consider that. I wish I didn't live on the south coast of England, all the interesting places are so far away!

Those are great venues Byker and we are actually thinking of doing something in locations just like that, particularly the big cat sanctuary which looks wonderful. The reason I'm currently focusing on Skomer is that I've been asked to run a workshop there as course tutor, and the organisation in question needs an answer from me fairly soon. I think given my problem with heights it would probably be rash of me to even consider it given that I will be responsible for a number of paying delegates. It's a shame because I've always wanted to see Puffins and this would have been my opportunity, without incurring my own costs.

I've been to Skomer & Skokholm a few times now, you're kept on footpaths to protect the Puffins & Manx Shearwater burrows which has the side effect of protecting you from getting anywhere near an open edge !

This is an unsorted photo dump from a TPF trip in 2009, some of the shots will give you an idea of access to the Puffins & the locations.

I used everything from 10mm to 200mm during the stay, I had Puffins sitting on my knee, running between my legs and flying over my lens....they are not shy :D

Ken .... O - M - G

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

I've seen people sit on the edge of Beachy Head, I just don't know how they cope. All it takes is for the edge to crumble, or a squall of wind ..... terrifying!

It's pointless worrying, you'll probably get killed driving there :LOL:

Ken .... O - M - G

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

I've seen people sit on the edge of Beachy Head, I just don't know how they cope. All it takes is for the edge to crumble, or a squall of wind ..... terrifying!
I should have misquoted Crocodile Dundee: That's not a cliff. This is a cliff... :)

(sorry about the pic quality, one of her friends took it on a phone; I think he was shaking)

Last edited:
Brian, that's a lovely set, you have certainly captured the beauty of the island (and the Puffins). I feel you might have been quite close to the edge for some of those ;)

I've been reading some of the fantastic reviews on Trip Adviser - what a magical place.

I feel you might have been quite close to the edge for some of those ;)

Any shot that looks close to an edge will have been taken behind handrails with my 200mm lens. You don't need to take risks for the shot on Skomer, the difficulty is getting far enough away from the birds to focus on :D

One of my Son on another trip to Skomer that gives you an idea of how timid they are...

neil_puff.jpg

Back