Puffins on Skomer

Currently in Marloes S.W force 3 gusting force 5. Landings should be happening if this keeps up!

Fantastic day on Skomer today. Weather was fairly bad to start but got sunny and ended again with light rain.

For me I would highly recomend a large prime. If you can bare taking a heavy bit of kit you will get some great shots.

Anyhow just got back but thought I would share one that I took with a 20-35mm f2.8 wide angle lens. To show the lovely puffins and the back ground.

223355_10150178750237087_515952086_7104442_4781273_n.jpg

Loverly shot!! Glad you got a good day on there looks like the puffins were a bit more active when you were there :)

Roll on my next visit! :)

Brilliant shot, I'll be back on the island tomorrow to. Would definitely recommend a large prime, if you have got one and don't mind carrying it about! You CAN do it with less but quality is better with longer, you can also get Larks, Wheaters and Choughs.

Great day had by all, thanks to Martin and his wife for the company.

Hi James just reread my post and did not mention you. I'm so sorry thought I had in the first sentence.

We also had a great time with your company thanks for sharing the day with us:)

Will be going back in June to get the puffins win sand eels. Well hopefully as these things can't be quarsnteed.

It's just been announced that Springwatch will be coming live from Skomer from the 5th to 10th June if anyone is interested :)

Matt

I'll be on Skomer again from the 15th-17th of June, if anyone is interested in meeting up send me a PM.

I was also introduced to few good spots in the surrounding Marlose and Dale area, that make for a fantastic birding experience, so please do get in touch.

Can i just ask if it is worth going the last two weeks in July we will be camping in the Brecon Becons then and would like to visit Skomer if possible

blackwolf said:
Can i just ask if it is worth going the last two weeks in July we will be camping in the Brecon Becons then and would like to visit Skomer if possible

There'll still be some birds there but the puffins and guilamots will be gone from 15th/20th July. There'll be some stragglers but not many.

HTH

Matt

I'm off to Skomer at the end of this month and it's nice to know what lens to take. Thought I was going to have to make my own thread but it's all here. Looking forward to what is going to be quite a unique experience!

tompeach said:
I'm off to Skomer at the end of this month and it's nice to know what lens to take. Thought I was going to have to make my own thread but it's all here. Looking forward to what is going to be quite a unique experience!

I'll be there on the 1st. Really looking forward to it.

I got on the Island Saturday, weather was perfect and got some great shots. the 300mm f2.8 was perfect for about 80% of shots and the rest of the time it was my 70-200mm. just a great day out.

Back