Puffins re-visited....

Excellent set of shots Russ. They are fantastic birds and always great to photograph.

Did you change much when you re-processed them? During lockdown I have re-processed a lot of my previous shots and generally they have turned out noticeably better for a number of reasons.

Paul

Nice work Russ, no idea what your workflow on these is but its worked out well. Love the Skomer and Pembrokeshire shots - really makes me miss Skomer, you really can't beat the overnight stays there

Mike

Excellent set of shots Russ. They are fantastic birds and always great to photograph. Did you change much when you re-processed them? During lockdown I have re-processed a lot of my previous shots and generally they have turned out noticeably better for a number of reasons. Paul
Many thanks for comments Paul :)
- I have used only Lightroom CC to process all my shots until April of this year when I bought Topaz DeNoise AI and this has allowed me to drastically reduce my workflow in LR (e.g. no more selective sharpening, masking or use of clarity slider), I then do a one pass with Topaz and Hey Presto:

Lightroom with minimal processing:
_MG_4715.jpg

....one pass of Topaz:
Sharpen AI-7-2.jpg

I could never achieve that image quality with my previous LR workflow.

Russ

Nice work Russ, no idea what your workflow on these is but its worked out well. Love the Skomer and Pembrokeshire shots - really makes me miss Skomer, you really can't beat the overnight stays there. Mike
Cheers Mike - glad you like 'em :)
- I've tried to explain my rudimentary workflow to Paul above..... I like to keep things very simple in pp, and Topaz helps me very well in most situations (as long as I don't over-do it).
- Skomer was a great place for my day visit - I'll leave thoughts of overnight stays to you youngsters!

Russ

Cheers Mike - glad you like 'em :)
- I've tried to explain my rudimentary workflow to Paul above..... I like to keep things very simple in pp, and Topaz helps me very well in most situations (as long as I don't over-do it).
- Skomer was a great place for my day visit - I'll leave thoughts of overnight stays to you youngsters!

Russ

Thats pretty impressive Russ, I hadn't looked at Topaz but it does seem to be flavour of the month - that's a pretty good advert for it. I was considering getting neat image but might have to read up a bit more now.

Does it have separate sharpen and NR features? I'm happy with my sharpening settings but that NR looks really good

Mike

p.s. As long as you don't mind 'rustic' overnights are wonderful on Skomer, especially if you drop lucky with the weather, sitting alone at the wick at dawn / dusk is a great time

Does it have separate sharpen and NR features? I'm happy with my sharpening settings but that NR looks really good
Hi Mike
The sharpen and noise reduction features are completely separate and variable on independent sliders. Or, you can allow the software to use it's AI inbuilt feature and decide for you - which is what I use!! My ageing PC struggles with the processing time but gets there eventually :)

Russ

I could never achieve that image quality with my previous LR workflow.

Thanks Russ, that is very interesting. I have also used Topaz Denoise AI in the past and was initially very impressed but then it started seriously messing up the colours and I stopped using it. Have you noticed any colour issues? I was always processing the raw file in Denoise first because that was the recommended method but then when I got the file into Capture One the colours were all messed up.

Paul

Booked to go to Skomer this Sunday for 4days with Natures Images , alas its cancelled until 2021..

I've not noticed any colour problems in my basic workflow, Paul. All my basic Raw processing is done first in LR CC, I then use the Topaz Plug-in within LR to auto sharpen and reduce noise. It's very basic but works OK for me - I hate spending lots of time in pp, particularly as my PC is old and slow (a bit like me nowadays!)

Russ :)

Can I asked what set up you used for these shots.

I really do miss Skomer. Tempted by an overnight stay to get different light, but as I snore and I mean seriously, dormitory sleeping is not wise.

....Can I asked what set up you used for these shots....
The shots span a 5 year period. The camera was a Canon 7Dii throughout. The Skomer and Pembrokeshire shots were taken with a Canon 400mm f/5.6L lens, and the remainder with a Canon 300mm f/2.8 L ii + x1.4 TC. All handheld.
Hope this helps :)

Russ

“Cracking” set of images, nothing more to be said.

George.

Great set Russ... Fabulous bird to see, Even better to photograph.
I love the examples you have posted showing what Topaz can do as far as noise removal is concerned.

Forgot to add its a great set. I have the same set up 7dmkii plus the 300mm and teleconverters ,I've also added a 1dx this year.

Super set russ , and another vote for topaz from me the latest version 2.2.2 is a game changer especially with MFT

“Cracking” set of images, nothing more to be said. George.
- many thanks George, cpmments appreciated :)
Great set Russ... Fabulous bird to see, Even better to photograph.
I love the examples you have posted showing what Topaz can do as far as noise removal is concerned.
- Cheers John. I always enjoy their antics and Topaz has helped to show them off even better :)
Forgot to add its a great set. I have the same set up 7dmkii plus the 300mm and teleconverters ,I've also added a 1dx this year.
- Appreciate your comments, and does seem we have the same gear as I have acquired a 1DXii myself now :)
Super set russ , and another vote for topaz from me the latest version 2.2.2 is a game changer especially with MFT
- Many thanks, Jeff - I'm not sure what version I'm on, I'll have to check! :)

Russ

Last edited:
Russ, thanks to both you and Paul for asking the question, about the processing which led to the topaz mention. i've been diggiing a whiile since seeing the above. I know Jeff has also mentioned this new version,before here,wise old sods !! I 've known of topaz for along while ,but this new programme really looks impressive utterly fascinating mate thank you. !! Ha, I best mention the images hadn't I mate, sorry about that:rolleyes: I just wanted to say Ta for posting those side be sides bill images first Lol Russ artificial intelligence might be a real help for me. ;):LOL:

Buddy the set is fab,ya know I'm really quite taken with 4, one two and three are all cracking ace images,but 4 grabs me.

Tell ya what me olde mate you are one constistant tog 5 years in the making and they blend as a set seemlessly ,

That's pretty cool Russ I don't think you have really grasped that , just found something to do in lockdown,I guess.

Nice work. :cool:

take care

stu

Russ, thanks to both you and Paul for asking the question, about the processing which led to the topaz mention. i've been diggiing a whiile since seeing the above. I know Jeff has also mentioned this new version,before here,wise old sods !! I 've known of topaz for along while ,but this new programme really looks impressive utterly fascinating mate thank you. !! Ha, I best mention the images hadn't I mate, sorry about that:rolleyes: I just wanted to say Ta for posting those side be sides bill images first Lol Russ artificial intelligence might be a real help for me. ;):LOL: Buddy the set is fab,ya know I'm really quite taken with 4, one two and three are all cracking ace images,but 4 grabs me. Tell ya what me olde mate you are one constistant tog 5 years in the making and they blend as a set seemlessly , That's pretty cool Russ I don't think you have really grasped that , just found something to do in lockdown,I guess. Nice work. :cool: take care Stu
Stu mate, many thanks for your comments and appreciation of my Lockdown activity - as Lonnie Donnigan once said "....Well it helps to pass the time"..(song " My old man's a Dustman...") remember?? :D
- anyway I've done my bit in promoting Topaz for now, so over and out! :)

Russ

Russ

I have downloaded a trail version as a result of this thread. Do you leave it to AI and auto or use the manual settings? Probably depends.

Wonderful set,Russ. Lovely Flamborough pair.
- Cheers John - always nice to see them in pairs! :)
Russ, I have downloaded a trail version as a result of this thread. Do you leave it to AI and auto or use the manual settings? Probably depends.
- Hi, I use Topaz as a Plug-in to LR and what I've found is to make sure you remove all sharpening in LR first, to not undertake much pp at this stage (only white balance and a mild crop), then to export as a Tiff into LR and finish off all pp work. I mostly set Topaz on auto - but am learning all the time. :)

Russ

Impressive set Russ, number 4 is a belter. They all are but that one is a cracker.

Back